Cathead

Steamboats and other rivercraft - general discussion

158 posts in this topic

Bob, just imagine it before the poor river was mostly dammed up and had lots of the debris filtered out of her!

Deperdussion, those are pretty unique, thanks for sharing. Where are those images from?

mtaylor likes this

Another "Family" of paddlewheel steamers whose history has been forgotten are the stern wheel paddlewheel steamers that carried supplies for the 1898 Yukon Gold Rush.

The Moran Bros built twelve paddle wheel steamers in their boat yard in Seattle (now a pro sport stadium) that supplied the 1898 Yukon Gold Rush.  These paddlewheel steamers began their travel to the Yukon River from Roche Harbor.    

This Wiki link has info on eleven of the twelve Moran Bros stern wheelers (one was wrecked in route to the Yukon).  https://en.wikipedia...n_sternwheelers

There's a good story about transferring these steamers from Seattle and the Captains to the mouth of the Yukon.  It's in one of the books I have, I'll find it and post.      

mtaylor likes this

Here's a link to a post I made August 28, 2013 about the Yukon River Fleet.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3295-bulk-carriers-around-1900/#entry94974

The SS Klondike, was the largest sternwheeler in the White Pass fleet. Now a national historic site in Whitehorse.  She was once capable of carrying heavy loads of ore and passengers.  This post contains four links to other bulk carriers of the era. 

historyhuntboat.jpg

mtaylor and Tadeusz43 like this

Dee Dee, I have photos I took while exploring the Yukon back in the late '90s, of several wrecks along the upper river. I climbed in, on, and around them and took some photos. Unfortunately they're print images and I don't have a scanner. Maybe I can try taking some new photos of the old photos! The climate up there has preserved the wood quite well, even though the boats themselves have mostly collapsed into piles of wood.The hulls were still solid enough to clamber into.

mtaylor likes this

if you have an iphone there is a FREE app called "Photoscan". It does the job of scanning pictures into you phone.

clarence

mtaylor likes this

The Klondike steamer in Whitehorse was featured in a short article in the NRG's Secretary's Newsletter in the Winter 2016 issue.  Our Secretary lives in Whitehorse so it was easy for him to photograph it.

Kurt

mtaylor likes this