Hobbyzone building slip for wooden ship models

Ordered one, should be here next week from Indiana distributor. Now faced with the problem of picking a project...

Edited by markjay

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Don,

The only log I've seen so far using one is the original poster's... http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13427-riva-aquarama-by-aydingocer-amati-radio-a-new-challenge-for-a-so-far-static-ship-builder/

It looks interesting and I can see where it'll be a big help.  I'm not ordering one myself at this point as I don't know if the next ship will be a Hahn type or a right-side up type build.  Cross that bridge when I get to it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Don,

Yes you can move the white piece back and forward to align each of your frames. The screws which hold it are not permanently tight. They stay loose. You move it, and when it is in place, you tighten it.

Current :

HMS Sphinx by Vanguard

-------------

Completed:

Orient Express Sleeping Car by Amati

Bluenose II (Artesania Latina)

Istanbul Tram - Occre

Bluenose II - Artesania Latina

Bosphorus Sandal Fishing Boat

Riva Aquarama - Amati

Titanic - Mantua

Bosphorus Fishing Boat - Tersane Model

San Juan Nepomuceno - Artesania Latina

Bluenose - Billing Boats

Haven't put mind together yet, also I won't be using the board itself because it's not long enough but the rest of the stuff I will put to use for the build board I have for the upcoming build will make sure I keep the base that came with it though for later. Will post when I have it setup for the build.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Do the aligning piece need to be unscrewed and move to the next position to continue framing for the entire hull?

Thanks,

Richard

You'll certainly need to move the white aligning tool along the keel in order to adjust each frame, however I at least did not necessarily have to screw it all the time. For me it was just enough to align the piece using the rules on both sides and hold it just there while gluing the frame to place. Screwing tightly to place would be probably needed if you want to use the aligning piece also as a support to the frame.

Current :

HMS Sphinx by Vanguard

-------------

Completed:

Istanbul Tram - Occre

Riva Aquarama - Amati

Titanic - Mantua

Bluenose - Billing Boats

Who knows, maybe with all this type of attention to a very specific product HobbyZoneUsa might be a sponsor. With my new workshop I will certainly have some of the modules.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I have a few of the modules. The tool holders are nice, keeping those items in one place and close at hand. :)

Looking at getting some of the paint holders, too; I use PollyScale/Floquil, Tamiya and ModelMaster. And some Vallejo colors, too. The racks are sized for the different size bottles. May try one of each of the 2 sizes of racks.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Looks like a worthwhile investment to the ship yard. Shall I SLIP into something more comfortable shall I say! Haha.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 1 month later...

DOES ANY ONE HAE PICTURES OF USING THIS FOR BOF AND OR POB, WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW IT WORKS AN WHAT PIECES NEED TO BE REMOVED TO SLIDE IT FROMM FRAME TO FRAME, ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECAITED. THANKS Don

Hi Don,

I have used my build slip mainly for gluing the bulkheads and then mostly as a stand after that for planking. During planking I used a pillow which was making it easier for me (as I often intend to take the hull to my lap for close work).

Buy anyway here are a few photos.

On the first picture below you will see the screw holes at every 10cm intervals, on both sides of the base board. You also see the "panel" which is standing vertically. There are 2 "rails" on either side behind this panel. These rails are fixed to the panel (in other words, the white vertical panel and the two rails slide together on the base board). The rails have screws, which can be tightened/loosened using washers. While the screws are in the same hole the rails will allow the panel to move around 10cm back and forth. So,

- as you will work with the next frame, you move the panel accordingly.

- when the rails do not allow moving any further with the screws in the same hole, then you remove the screws, move the panel to the next location and put the screws to the next pair of holes.

post-19661-0-69387200-1469281351.jpg

Second photo below shows how you use the measurements on the panels for reference:

post-19661-0-89014600-1469281355.jpg

You can catch a few more photos in the early pages of my Riva Aquarama build log where the build slip is in action:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13427-riva-aquarama-by-aydingocer-amati-radio-a-new-challenge-for-a-so-far-static-ship-builder/

Br;

Aydin

Edited by aydingocer

Current :

HMS Sphinx by Vanguard

-------------

Completed:

Istanbul Tram - Occre

Riva Aquarama - Amati

Titanic - Mantua

Bluenose - Billing Boats

Here is the link for our fellow members located in the USA

Minislip

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I agree with Gaetan.  Also, it would allow modification/improvement based on personal practice.  I am not experienced in creating plans, but if anyone does, please post them.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Like I had said before, if someone though about it they could do the same thing Like Gaetan did. But I also bought the Hobbyzone setup and I am changing things on it to fit my build, also you can't use it all on a 1.48 ship, but you can change things, but don't trow anything out which I won't.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)