Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HM Bomb Vessel Granado by Timmo - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64, 1756

Granado Caldercraft bomb

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

Timmo

Timmo

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationHamilton, New Zealand

Attached File  box.JPG   211.45KB   19 downloads

The Granado is my second wooden ship build.  This follows the cutter Sherbourne which you can follow the link to in the MSW gallery.

The Granado was chosen for a vessel offering more than a single mast but still able to be displayed in a reasonable space.

Firstly a tribute to all the prior Granados on MSW's former incarnation - they proved immensely helpful and I owe a huge tribute to you all in helping to spot impending difficulties and work around them thanks to your efforts. 

After wantonly pillaging MSW for help with my first build it's time to add to the basket of knowledge that MSW members have so graciously given to me.

This build is by no means complete but hopefully of use to others as I found previous members' posts.

So on to the build...

The build was started in April 2012 and at this stage I've just completed the second planking above the wales and filed out the gunports.

The Caldercraft kit is all the usual business like efficiency with little in the way of complaints. The fittings are top quality with turned brass cannon, limewood for the first planking and walnut for the second.

Attached File  main.JPG   310.56KB   22 downloads

No, it's not a botch. The lens curve making the stem appear out of alignment here.

Attached File  g3.jpeg   64.39KB   10 downloads

One thing to watch for on this kit is setting the gunport patterns correctly. I thought I was being very clever in measuring the placement from the base of the keel. It resulted in patterns not quite meeting the tips of the bulkhead patterns. As a result at least half of the gunports had to be raised slightly.

Better to just fit them to the tops of the bulkheads. Oh well.

Attached File  g4.jpeg   158.65KB   10 downloads

Another thing to watch for is the sweep ports. The instructions don't mention them until after the gunport patterns have been installed despite the plans showing them as illustrated. From there it's the somewhat more difficult matter of cutting them through from the outside and matching them up with the inner spirketting - no easy task. If your want the sweep ports showing on the inside then tak e gauge of where they should be before installing the gunport patterns and adjust once the lot is installed. It's not difficult but comes down to reading the instructions all the way through before taking any steps.

Attached File  g5.jpeg   112.73KB   8 downloads

I found it made more sense to skip ahead in the build and install the lower stern counter before the upper hull sides were planked. It allowed the upper stern counter to be shaped to fit and also allowed the wales to be shaped to fit around it. The black used here is probably a bit too dark to see the chase ports to best effect. That might be looked at later.

Attached File  g6.jpeg   292.91KB   6 downloads

The mortars went together nicely after some cleaning up. The mortars themselves are nicely cast brass that just needs some time with a file to bring out the best. Some brass wire handles were added as per Peter Goodwin's excellent Anatomy of the Sip Grandado book.

The example here is the stern mortar - the smaller of the two on board.

Following shots show the mortar surrounds in place which are identical for each of the two mortars aboard.

Attached File  g8.jpeg   308.72KB   12 downloads

Attached File  g9.jpeg   308.83KB   11 downloads

Attached Files

• Attached File  g2.jpeg   261.01KB   8 downloads
  • Attached File  g1.jpeg   196.69KB   3 downloads

Edited by Timmo, 26 March 2013 - 07:04 AM.

• Ryland Craze, gieb8688, AlphaUrsaeMinoris and 2 others like this

Timmo

Timmo

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 357 posts

The Granado has nine sweep ports each side but the instructions make no mention of them until much further into the build. This is a good point to jump ahead and add them if you want as it's hard enough to cut them in on the inside at this point as it is. They are reasonably prominent on the inside of the bulwarks but are not included on the gunport patterns.

If you want them you'll have to mark as shown on the plans and cut them in yourself.

Attached File  g10.jpeg   154.23KB   3 downloads

The instructions offer either open or closed gunports. Obviously if you have them open you'll need to cut the square port all the way through. There's also the option of just adding the closed port and hinge to the outside of the hull with no port being cut on the inside. This is one difference I've noticed between the Victory kits, which appear to have the ports included and presumably pre-cut.

I like the busy feel of the added ports so in they go.

Attached File  photo 2.JPG   128.56KB   5 downloads

The ports align with the top of the inner bulwark spirketting - the strip that runs along the bulwark between the gunports and the deck. Before this was added the top edge was marked in pencil and the position of the ports added. The edges were cut on the inside with a scalpel and drilled through from the outside.  A square file and more scalpel work cuts the hole. Given the roughly 3mm size of them and the difficulty of access from the inside it's difficult to get them square further than a couple of mm in but give they'll likely be closed on the outside and painted inside it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Attached File  photo 1.JPG   118.1KB   6 downloads

Attached File  photo 3.JPG   157.29KB   3 downloads

Edited by Timmo, 26 March 2013 - 07:06 AM.

• maso, Aussie048 and MarisStella.hr like this

Dave B

Dave B

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationColumbia, Missouri

Looking really nice!  Thanks for the excellent descriptions, pictures, and suggestions.  I have this kit, will probably do it next, and I wasn't around for the previous Granado build logs you mentioned so yours will be a nice reference I can tell from the quality of your work.

Dave

Dave Barnard

Current build: Niagara (Model Shipways)

Completed builds:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (LSS)

Timmo

Timmo

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 357 posts

Bow ports lined with any gaps on the inside edges filled and sanded

Attached File  bow port 1.JPG   154.61KB   0 downloads

Attached File  bow port 2.JPG   161.89KB   0 downloads

The spirketting was pre-painted and installed with clamps to hold it down. Not entirely happy with the fit along the deck but it's barely noticeable from anything but direct horizontal view, which will be increasingly difficult to see as guns etc are added to the deck.

Attached File  rail 1.JPG   146.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  ports 5.JPG   206.48KB   0 downloads

Attached File  spirket 2.JPG   123.23KB   1 downloads

• Aussie048 and MarisStella.hr like this

Timmo

Timmo

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 357 posts

The sheer rail presented a couple of minor problems - Firstly it had to bend in three planes to follow the line needed across the upper edge of the gunports and around the bows and they needed to be placed level and correctly for the forecastle deck to sit on. Some test fitting and marking is advised here.

Attached File  photo 1.JPG   183.52KB   0 downloads

The strip provided is 10mm walnut with the width to take the taper needed on the underside as it slants upwards on the underside towards the bow.

The strip was soaked and clamped in placed for the cruve before cutting. Note how it doesn't clear the gunport on the left as it should. For this reason and to avoid too harsh a taper to get it to align wioth the gunport edge the sheer raile was installed in two pieces - from the bow forward and then another strip from there towards the stern. The edges were sanded in.

Attached File  sheer1.JPG   144.16KB   0 downloads

Attached File  spirket 5.JPG   135.14KB   0 downloads

Sheer rail cut and tapered on the under edge.

Attached File  forecastle bearers.JPG   122.82KB   1 downloads

Sheer rail installed and sanded flush along the top edge of the hull.

Attached File  spirket 7.JPG   152.14KB   1 downloads

Attached File  spirket1.JPG   135.14KB   2 downloads

• Aussie048 and MarisStella.hr like this

rebekb

rebekb

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNew England

Very nice! Cutting the gunports must have been a good deal of work.  Look forward to seeing more, I've always liked bomb and mortart vessels. Rebecca

First-time builder

Current build: Mini-Mamoli Mississippi Sternwheeler

On the shelf:

MM: Charles Morgan, La Goleta

MW: Ches. Flattie, Crabbing Skiff

Timmo

Timmo

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 357 posts

The insides finished and painted. The small gaps left at the bow due to the notches in the inner gunport patterns were filled. This area will be filed out to take the bowsprit later but it's easier to fill gaps now and get a clean edge than do it later.

Attached File  painted 1.JPG   146.62KB   4 downloads

Attached File  painted 2.JPG   93.89KB   6 downloads

Attached File  painted 3.JPG   118.06KB   4 downloads

• AlphaUrsaeMinoris, Aussie048 and MarisStella.hr like this

Timmo

Timmo

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 357 posts

Very nice! Cutting the gunports must have been a good deal of work.  Look forward to seeing more, I've always liked bomb and mortart vessels. Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca, they are interesting vessels with arhat some indifferent about them. Compared to those on MSW who build 2/3 deckers with dozens upon dozens of gun ports this is nothing!
  • mercer likes this

realworkingsailor

realworkingsailor

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  • LocationThe Greater Toronto Area

Very nice, tidy work you've done up to now. I can't wait to see more, keep it up :)

Andy

• Jens likes this

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Builds:

HMS Pegasus 
SS Stadacona CSL Self Unloading Bulk Carrier 

Next Builds:

HMS Diana

USF Confederacy

AndrewNaylor

AndrewNaylor

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationBristol Rhode island

Timmo

Great work We are about at the same place in our builds. But as summer arrives in the NH and winter in the SH I feel your model will launch before mine 

That been said I had forgotten to put in the Ore ports so holes to drill and file square next 

Looking forward to following your build 

Andy

• mercer likes this

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Timmo

Timmo

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 357 posts
Andy. Don't bet on an early completion from me. I find I get more done in the warmer months as my unheated garage work space gets less comfortable as winter goes on!

realworkingsailor

realworkingsailor

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  • LocationThe Greater Toronto Area

Hrm.... two Andys at the same time.... had me confused for a second....

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Builds:

HMS Pegasus 
SS Stadacona CSL Self Unloading Bulk Carrier 

Next Builds:

HMS Diana

USF Confederacy

AndrewNaylor

AndrewNaylor

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationBristol Rhode island
Yes Like you Andy I am in the Marine industry but on privat yachts rather than ships like your self
That been said I am on a plane heading to St Thomas to take a 100 foot yacht to Panama
Back in 10 days
Andy
  • hopeful likes this

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Timmo

Timmo

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 357 posts
I'm filling in for someone else at work so am on 2-10pm shifts. It's quite surprising how much i can get done in a morning before having to head to work - that includes cooking dinner for the family, hanging out washing and occasionally seeing my beloved. When working 'bankers hours' of 8am-5pm i'm just too tired to do any modelling at night. On those weeks it's 2-3 hours on a sunday afternoon in the garage for modelling if i'm lucky with my three lovely girls roller blading or scootering around me. good times.
Anyway onwards to some building.
Today involved some gratings. The Granado has only two gratings with the largest on the fore deck almost under the forecastle.
This is a lot less than the four included on something much smaller like the shrebourne. The other is yet to come on the poopl deck.
A simple jig involving two timber strips keeps the grates in place during construction. The top one is my old faithful ssquare edge sander made from a sushi chop stick sanded square with sandpaper glued on- great for evening up gunports.

Attached File  image.jpg   227.59KB   7 downloads

Forward grating fixed. It was sanded to a very subtle curve across the top surface. The coamings were shown in the instructions with mitred edges. They look nice but anatomy of the ship shows square edged corners. plainer but correct so that 's what i did.The 3x2mm walnut is a dramatic difference in colour but looks ok. The hard top edges on the coamings were rounded slightly
The main hatch cover was also constructed. I'll wait until the reinforcing planks(walnut) are dry fitted until fixing to make sure they match in width.

Attached File  image.jpg   206.07KB   11 downloads

Edited by Timmo, 28 April 2013 - 10:16 AM.

• harvey1847, Aussie048 and MarisStella.hr like this

Brian C

Brian C

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,792 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

that model looks like it has quality timber and fittings straight from the box.  Good to see your build.

• Denis Pink likes this
Royal William.

H.M.S Royal William     http://modelshipworl...del-by-brian-c/

H.M.Y Fubbs scratch built.

http://modelshipworl...fubbs/?hl=fubbs

Bismarck 1-200-
http://modelshipworl...-amati-brian-c/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.