Do You enjoy Rigging your ship?

Hollowneck,

Ps....Happy Birthday!!!

Actually rigging the vessel's great, but making things like chain-plates and bullseyes for a working model is not my favorite thing.  Making blocks is ok, even with working sheaves (since I buy brass sheaves and don't typically have to make them).  I'm not a fan of walking rope either, but in the diameters and lengths I usually need I don't have much to choose from; I've yet to find a source of 1/8" or 3/16" diameter line made from Dacron polyester which is what the standing rigging on my models typically is.

Glad that's off my chest - I feel better  ;)

Edited by JerryTodd

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

I love rigging my ships. To me, it's the part that teaches me how the ships were operated. When I was a kid, I would just run lines all over my plastic ship kit. Now, it's great knowing that each line and shroud has a purpose and what that purpose is.

That being said, I do HATE ratlines.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

• 4 weeks later...

An hour of rigging is better than an hour of therapy.

Model ship building requires many skills. Many we learn as we go. Unfortunately, with skills it's "use it or loose it." Rigging is highly suseptable to this phenomenon. It's literally two years before the mast (no pun intended). This is my strongest positive for working on more than one model at a time which are in different stages of construction.

Regards

I'll chuck my bi-corn hat in with the rest of the crew who love rigging. I find this stage of the build to be the most satisfying. 

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I find building the hull, particularly the back bone and frames to be what I enjoy most.  Rigging can be interesting and challenging but I see it more as work than pleasure.  Painting is my least favorite activity.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Homer (Ron),

Thank you for the compliment(s) on my display baseboards. And thanks for the Birthday shout-out!

I think about how my finished model will be displayed early-on in my building cycle. In most cases, I'll have very specific thoughts about the materials and especially, color(s). I did a baseboard recently with routed profile moldings (in cherry) with a flush, incised base of bronzed acrylic (my model, Godspeed - a 4-masted schooner- sat on this base until it was suspended in a church nave). However, I kept the base and it now sits beneath my Revenge. I will add this model to my gallery here as soon as I take the time to take nice shots. This baseboard is nicely reflective, but not like a standard mirror; the bronze color softens the reflectance and compliments the wood tones of the ship beautifully.

Generallly-speaking, since my approach to model ships is primarily that of attempting to create an art object, I believe the entire presentation is also important. The models that have impressed me the most over the years are ones typically mounted on beautiful, hadrwood bases or are presented in compelling dioramas.

A finely crafted baseboard of say, highly-figured walnut burl (veneer) is hard to beat visually. I also think nice marquetry (inlay) works on the perimeter of most baseboards. I buy my patterned inlays from suppliers who cater to guitar luthiers. Although most models are presented on dark wood bases, don't rule out a contrasting, lighter color such as a figured maple. One of my nicest models to look at has a dark walnut hull that "floats" over a book-matched Birdseye maple base that also has inlay marquetry "purfling" on the edges of the maple. The extreme contrast sets off BOTH the model- and the base, itself.

I do NOT have large woodworking equipment (routers, table saw, planers, etc.) in my building space. I depend on friends in my model club to help me realize my design ideas with their skill and resources. I always supply detailed, dimensioned drawings or sketches as well as all the materials.

I recommend looking at more models in the galleries here for ideas and if you can, source the Seawatch books which show many stunning (mostly antique) examples of superb baseboards.

Thanks again for the compliment.

Regards,

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 4 weeks later...

I not only like doing it, but also to take pictures of the result.

post-246-0-40745700-1470440436_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-20980500-1470440450_thumb.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 3 months later...

Despite the frustrations along the way; if I have a good belaying plan then I enjoy rigging the model as much as building her.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 month later...

My favourite rigging line is the last one! 

I enjoy tying down the shrouds and now I have a system that works for me I'm happy doing the ratlines. Fixed rigging, no problem but when it comes to the running rigging I'm just plain clumsy and ham fisted - drives me mad at times. Plenty of coffee breaks while I try and compose myself and go back to it! On top of that I have the very bad habit of getting somewhat impatient because I'm close to finishing.

Next time I'll do better..... :rolleyes:

Mike

When all else fails - read the instructions.

current build

Model Shipways  Pride of Baltimore II 

completed

Billings   L'Etoile (1996)

Billings   Mary Ann (2012)

Occre     Brig Aurora (2013)

AL          J.S.Elcano (2014)

Model Shipways    Flying Fish (2018)

ca.shipwright said it best - 'an hour of rigging is better than an hour of therapy'.  

I too enjoy rigging, and will do extensive research to make it as accurate as I can.  That includes the color of the various lines, chaffing considerations, size of the lines, tension (sag), and all the associated blocks, bullseyes, fairleads, deadeyes, and ironwork.  

After a few hours of rigging though, I find a good glass of liquid refreshment (ale, rum, bourban) straightens out the eyesight and loosens the muscles....

Keep building and above all, have fun~!                     Duff

To answer the question, yes I enjoy rigging.  

As I mostly work on British vessels, I live by Lees Masting and Rigging for the details on everything from dimensional information to some fine drawings on blocks and other pieces.  For schooners, my second love, Chapelle's American Schooners book gives a lot of details on rigging these vessels.   David Antscherl's Volume IV of TFFM offers a lot of great information on rigging.  Peterson's Rigging Period Ship Model offers a lot of good information on rigging a late 18th century frigate.   With these there is no reason to fear masting and rigging due to putting the wrong line in the wrong place, or using the wrong size or belaying points, some or all of which may be reasons why so many don't like rigging.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the hobby - being in only my second build (the Mary Byrne) - but during my first build I found the rigging part to be very enjoyable. However I also found it very frustrating whenever I list tension or couldn't get a knot tied. Yes, rigging is enjoyable - but so was the Gil work, the planking and the deck furniture....

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Other than affixing ratlines to the shrouds, which is perhaps the most hideously tedious task I have ever inflicted on myself on a fairly regular basis, I have always enjoyed the sort of  zen sensation that accompanies the rigging process. If the rigging can be made to actually function accurately, it is a source of a wonderful sense of accomplishment. Intricate rigging, authentically executed, is a highlight of any ship model and a true thing of beauty in its own right. The extravagant sculpture that is the rigging of a big frigate or windjammer is breathtaking when done well, and worth every second of the requisite effort.

I not only like to rig my ships, but I also enjoy making my line. I am presently working on Model Shipways Constitution. I have pre hung as much of the rigging as I could before installing the masts. 

post-747-0-04044500-1486254697_thumb.jpg

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I really enjoy the rigging as well. It can be repetitive and monotonous, but I think it is the most rewarding as each mast is completed. The two most frustrating parts to rigging for me is being careful to keep all the line tensions uniform so as to not bow a mast or yard, and lacing a line from high on a mast all the way down to the designated tie off pin crossing it over or around another line already tied. I don’t like to have a line pulling against another causing it not to run straight. 

I really enjoy rigging.  The standing rigging is part of the ship’s structure and I learned a lot about how the ship operated when doing the running rigging on my last model.  Even the ratlines are fun for me.  The whole process is very relaxing.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

With every new ship fun and effort in rigging increased. Doing the same knots again and again can be very relaxing after a hard day. When I began to build mediterrian ships, the task increased further since the plans and books showing the rigging are limited. Looking in the old paintings is sometimes not helpful. Comparing the rigging plans of Corel and Amatis Xebecs let me suppose that there is still a lot of variation possible.

Clark

Pre-rigging the mast, and even adding sails to the yards before you set the mast in the hull is an extreme time saver, not to mention it allows you to get up close and personal, without having to fight existing rigging on the model.

I adopted this technique for the mast/rigging construction for my 1/128 Great Republic slipper.

IMG_8122_thumb_JPG_cf79ae65df21bae7426dbf13ca7b3a53.jpg

IMG_8176_thumb_JPG_1416ebcd87a8291af88df78067545fa0.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

obsidian 12

It works well for me. Right now I am doing the lower ratlines and working my way up. Once all the ratlines are finished I plan on installing and rigging the yards. The hardest part is to plan ahead and make sure you have enough room to install the rest of the lines. The bottom area of the masts will be a real chore to rig. It will be a lot of monkeying around, but I like to solve those problems ahead of time. Thanks for your interest.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)