New and need help to identify a mystery model? Read here first!

Hi!

On a fairly regular basis, we here at MSW receive requests from new members for help with identifying a ship model, such as something like one of these:

post-160-0-86172700-1464800225.jpgpost-160-0-89116200-1464800227.jpg

The request usually looks something like this:

Hi. I don't know anything about ship models, but I got this model from a(n) auction/relative/yard sale, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about it or its value. I'm thinking about restoring/reselling it.

Now, we are happy to help you with this request, but since we get asked so often, I thought it would be good to finally put some info on mystery models in one topic thread so that you can maybe find your answer before you post. Here are some basic things you should know:

1. Many, many models have been built over the years for the sole purpose of serving as decor or memorabilia. This would be a model purchased at, say, Sea World or Home Goods. These models are usually built to low standards in parts of the world where labor is relatively cheap. Once upon a time, southern Europe was a hot-spot for their manufacture. Nowadays most such models are coming out of Southeast Asia. These models usually have little, if any, historical or resale value. If you shelled out for one at an auction, you are probably stuck with it. Unfortunately, the vast majority of models we get asked about fall into this category.

2. A similar category of models could be classified as folk art. These are, as the name implies, locally built models that are an artistic representation of a ship rather than a scale model. Like the decor models, these also usually have little value other than sentimental value.

3. Then there are models that are actual attempts at scale model building, either scratch built or from a kit. Maybe your dad or grandpa built one. The value of these varies widely depending on the subject and the quality of the build, but the number of builders whose work is actually worth a large chunk of change is very, very small. The number of prospective buyers for such models is even smaller.

4. It is an extremely rare model that will turn out to have real value, either due to its artistic merit (built by someone who's a recognized master modeler) or historical value (e.g. a genuine prisoner-of-war bone model). Trust me, there are builders who are good (you would probably ooh and aah over their work), and then there are the builders whom those 'good' modelers look up to - the Stradivaris of our art, if you will. Those builders are few and far between, and grandpa probably wasn't one of them.

5. No matter what kind of model you have, the only people who can give you a true estimation of its worth (meaning, what a real person might actually pay) are those who make their living by doing such things, i.e. museum curators or owners of maritime art galleries. What you get from MSW should only be considered an informed opinion. If you do decide to go to a gallery, just let me prepare you well in advance for the shock you will likely experience upon hearing the appraised value of your model. In our hobby, 'valuable' and 'finely crafted' are not necessarily synonymous.

Nine times out of ten, mystery models shown at MSW are, sad to say, essentially worthless in terms of monetary value. Some of those models, to be sure, still have sentimental value for their owners, and that is not to be taken lightly. If you have a model like that, then do what you can to preserve it. If, on the other hand, you were hoping you found an overlooked treasure at a boot sale, well, you most likely didn't. Sorry.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks for telling like it unfortunately is, Chris.

To add to your posting, sometimes the model is a wreck but of sentimental value. Folk have no idea how much it will cost for a professional restoration. That is their second shock. I can't count the number of times I've provided an estimate, never to hear back from the correspondent while coughing on the dust raised by their rapid departure!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Kudos, Chris for telling it like it is and to Druxey also.  

I think, in all the years of MSW (both 1.0 and 2.0 and even DDM) that there's only been one that has ended up being a historic and potentially valuable model.  OTOH, we've had a few who have set out to restore granddad's model and have done well with guidance and help.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you're collecting comments, there are indeed valuable models resembling the usual yard sale/family heirloom.  These are usually hundreds of years old and are already in museums, so yours is probably not one of them.

Okay, let's delve into this subject a little further by examining a few Mystery Models and discussing what makes them something less than what they often claim or are thought to be.

Take a look at Mystery Model #1.
post-160-0-77732400-1464918757.jpg

Hopefully, this one doesn't need too much explanation, since it is obviously a curio, something a kid would buy at the gift shop at Mystic Seaport. When the child outgrows it, it might be lucky enough to end up in a yard sale, but more likely it will get round-filed.

But not all cheap models are so overtly cheesy. How about Mystery Model #2?

post-160-0-45370500-1464916551.jpg

This one looks nice -- from a distance. Once you get up close, you start seeing the chunky, over-sized fittings and less-than-stellar craftsmanship. This is clearly a decor piece. If you have a nautical theme in your office, and you don't want to shell out big bucks for a scale model, you might get something like this at the local home decorating store. Good luck selling it to someone else, though.

Mystery Model #3 is something we see a lot of around here.

post-160-0-92309800-1464916551.jpg

It looks old. It looks antique. It must therefore be valuable, right? Wrong. This is a classic example of an older style of decor model, probably made in Spain. Columbus' ships were especially popular subjects. Some might have a plaque bearing the name "Fregatta" (fregatta is Spanish for 'frigate'). Unfortunately, unlike perhaps a matched pair of Holland & Holland shotguns, these models don't appreciate in value with age. They just get old, like shag carpet and avocado green appliances.

Now, to mix things up a bit, let's look at a model that supposedly represents a ship still in existence. First we have the model:

post-160-0-27418000-1464916552.jpg

And now we have the real deal, the bark Star of India, the crown jewel of the San Diego Maritime Museum.

post-160-0-66654900-1464916552.jpg

At first glance, the model does kind of look like the real ship. But once again, the devil is in the details. Look closely at the real ship. Now look at the model. Notice the difference in the cut of the sails and the way the sails are set on their yards. Notice how fine the rigging looks on the real ship and how chunky it looks on the model. Notice how the model doesn't even have the proper rig (it has square sails on the mizzen mast, the mast at the rear of the ship; the real Star does not). If you could see the model up close, you would see that the lack of fidelity to the original extends to the deck fittings as well. In short, the model is only a crude likeness of the real thing.

Now, here's the kicker. This Star of India model is available to purchase on the Internet for (wait for it) -- $999.99. I kid you not. And, sadly, it's kind of like a new car in the sense that once you drive it off the lot, its value plummets. "But wait," you might say, "I bought this model for $999.99, so it must be worth at least $999.99, right?" Um, no. In the first place, no one is going to pay $999.99 for your now-second-hand model when there are tons of brand-new ones available on the Internet. Second, I, at least, am certainly not going to pay that much for it, because I know where I can get a brand new model just like it for less than 1/10 of what you paid for yours (ouch)!

In the next installment, I'll cue you in on what model ship buyers really want in a model and how much they might be willing to pay for it. Until then!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

In this next installment of How to Spot a Cheesy Model, I want to show you the difference between a mass-produced model and an actual scale model built by a master modeler. Once you know what to look for, the cheap stuff is not hard to identify (and by 'cheap' I mean poorly made, not inexpensive). We're going to examine the stern of each model, so that we can see close up what separates class from crass.

Both of the models I'll show you are of the famous American warship, the USS Constitution. First, let's look at the quality model. This particular model is built from scratch in 1/48th scale. It's currently listed for sale at a reputable maritime art gallery. The price of the model is not listed. It's kind of like shopping on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills -- if you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it.

post-160-0-34838800-1465260738_thumb.jpg

The word I always think of when seeing a model like this is fine, as in fine wine or fine car. In this case, we're talking about fine craftsmanship. Note the detailed carvings, the meticulously neat painting, the clean run of planking, and the intricate web of rigging. True modelers endeavor to create models that are replicas of the original in every detail, with every part correctly proportioned. A great model looks like a real ship, only much smaller. Try picturing a 1/48th scale Russell Crowe (as Captain Jack Aubrey in Master & Commander) standing by the rail with a quartering wind filling the sails and the Connie with a bone in her teeth as she easily makes twelve knots.

Now let's look at the expensive kindling. This model is available on-line for $535. The owner of the site says this model is built by 'master craftsmen' using 'original plans'. It is purportedly 'highly detailed' and built from 'high-grade wood' using 'plank on frame' construction.

post-160-0-92855600-1465260737.jpg

In reality, this model is none of those things. It is probably built in either the Philippines or Viet Nam by laborers who have never seen any plans of the actual Constitution; otherwise, they would have recognized how little their work resembles the real ship. The 'high-grade wood' includes western red cedar and mahogany, which are great for full-sized projects but not good modeling woods. When they say 'plank on frame' it is quite likely they mean 'plank on bulkhead', which might sound nit-picky to the uninitiated, but it's actually two substantially different construction methods with significant differences in both cost to produce and value of the finished product. And as for 'highly detailed'? Puh-leez! Just look at the incorrect hull shape, cheap metal castings, prison bar-like window frames, coarse-grained wood, and stick-on (stick on!) name badge. And are those supposed to be ship's boats hanging from the sides? Really?? Remember what I said about fine craftsmanship? This model is the opposite of that in every respect. It is crude, clunky, and misproportioned. Instead of Russell Crowe, there's a Lego sailor at the rail (and I have seen better-looking models made out of actual Legos). If these were cars, the first model would be a Ferrari. The second one is a Trabant.

So, if you have a Mystery Model, take a good, hard look at it. Does it look like a finely crafted miniature ship? Or does it look crude and clunky? If it looks crude and clunky, it probably came from an unscrupulous dealer. Maybe the original buyer didn't do their homework before whipping out the plastic, or maybe they knew going in that they weren't really getting a unique piece of art. Either way, on the resale market it's value is likely to be decidedly less than what you hoped it might be!

Next: It's a real model, but so what?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris,

This is great information and although I find myself chuckling quite a lot while reading it as I used to find myself having to give similar explanations on the value of handcrafted wood work vs mass produced pieces when I was selling my own work at shows.

As you have stated often MSW does get a lot of inquiries about the value of random generic ships and many people don't understand the difference between the cheap one from China that was purchased at a store or a well crafted model by a master craftsman. Or the other big misunderstanding that even if it was handcrafted and has been in the family for generations it still may not be of any value other than sentiment as often the quality of the work is no greater than that cheap decoration ship from China.

It is good that you are taking the time to educate people. Much like Chuck's thread on banned ship kits and the reasons behind the ban, this kind of message can seem mean, cruel and unfair but if understanding can be achieved then appreciation of the true values can be had and the community becomes richer as a result.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Last installment!

Have you ever watched the show Pawn Stars on the History Channel? In this show, clients bring their treasures to the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop in Las Vegas, Nevada. The viewers then learn about the history of the item brought in and, ultimately, how much the item is worth. Most of the time, the owner hears that their treasure is not worth as much as they thought. Every once in a blue moon, though, some lucky owner discovers that their item is actually worth more than what they had estimated -- occasionally far more. But these instances are rare.

Such is the case with model ships. There are lots of model ships out there in the world, but only a relative few of them are worth some serious scratch. A large number are essentially worthless, at least in monetary terms. In this episode, we'll look further into the question of what makes a model valuable.

Let's suppose you have a model and that you took my advice in my previous post to have a hard look at it. You've decided that your model looks like a real scale model and not a piece of mass-produced decor or a Lego pirate ship. You can easily envision Russell Crowe at the helm. Now you're hoping that since it's a real scale model, it must surely have value.

Not so fast! There are models, and then there are models that people actually want and will pay good money for. To illustrate this point, I'm going to show you two real scale models. One is worth some money, and the other, sadly, is not.

First take a look at this model. It's a model of a real ship, the English revenue cutter Sherbourne, built in 1763 (the real ship, that is -- not the model).

post-160-0-61834900-1465316804.jpgpost-160-0-09156300-1465316805.jpg

Now, you're probably thinking, "Hey, that's a nice model. I can see why it's worth something."

Except this is the cheap model. If you or I were to take my model -- I mean, ahem, this model -- to a gallery thinking we've got a treasure, we'd be headed for disappointment. To you, this model might look great, but to the keen eye of a discriminating collector or knowledgeable gallery owner, it's got some problems. First, it's made from a kit. You, the novice, probably couldn't tell that by looking at it, but savvy modelers, collectors, and gallery owners know. Because it's built from a kit, that means it's not unique -- there's dozens of Sherbournes out there. Besides being made from a kit, it's made by a modeler with middling talent. Again, you might think the model is done very nicely, but experts will see right away those aspects of the model that were not built true to the original and the techniques that were used to make the model easier to build at the expense of scale fidelity. All of these things are knocks against the monetary value of the model.

But there's an even worse thing about this model: it's simply not what most buyers want.

There are exceptions, of course, but the really pricey models out there, the ones that collectors are willing to shell out several thousand dollars for, generally have three things: 1) lots of guns, 2) lots of rigging (sails and cordage), and 3) lots of fancy ornamentation. Oh, and did I mention lots of guns? My model -- I mean, ahem, the previous model -- has none of these things. It has few guns, little rigging, and essentially no ornamentation. What should a seller expect someone to pay for a model like this? If the seller is lucky (really lucky) and can find an actual buyer for the model, he might be able to squeeze a couple hundred dollars out of it, barely enough to cover the cost of the kit and certainly not enough to make modeling a lucrative or even profitable enterprise.

Guns, rigging, fancy stuff. That's what collectors want. Something like this model of HMS Thunderer:

post-160-0-08101100-1465316841_thumb.jpg

Why is this model worth some dough? Consider the following: 1) It's got lots of guns (well, at least the ports for guns), lots of rigging, and lots of fancy decoration. 2) It's scratch built, not from a kit. That means it's a unique piece of art, not one of dozens of built-up kits. 3) It's built to a high standard of workmanship. Someone who builds models like this has spent a lot of time honing their skills. 

Model ships are like most any other commodity. The prices they fetch are based on two factors, demand and availability. Well-heeled collectors demand fancy models built to high standards. The number of builders who can build that kind of model is low, and it takes a lot of time to build such models, so the builder's output is low as well. For a model like Thunderer, it's a case of high demand (because everyone would like to have a model like Thunderer) + low availability = high prices. For a model like Sherbourne the equation is low demand + high availability = low prices.

So, that basically it in a nutshell. Like the folks hoping to strike it rich at the pawn shop, most model ship owners are going to experience a letdown when they hear what their 'treasure' is worth. But cheer up - that unwanted model will still look good on your mantel, which can't be said for a Trabant.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 8 months later...

But sometimes one get´s a real gem. 

Here is incredible Willi Meischl on the restoration of a "dustpan"-finding, narrowly escaping it´s fate. It proved to be a historical model of a Austrian trading brig from the 1870ies.

See the video of the restoration. Excuse the quality, it is from a VHS from 1988-1989 and we were lucky to still be able to transfer it :-) 

post-182-0-44506300-1486636916.jpg

So better check twice :-)

XXXDAn

Allow some off topic:

Also enjoy Willi´s build of the model of the arctic explorer vessel "Admiral Tegetthoff", displayed in the technical museum in Vienna.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Tegetthoff_(Schiff)

There is also a nice film from the ORF (official Austrian TV) that shows him building a 1:1 Model for a film of the expedition. Unfortunately not on Youtube as for Copyrights :-(

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 5:01 AM, EJ_L said:

Chris,

This is great information and although I find myself chuckling quite a lot while reading it as I used to find myself having to give similar explanations on the value of handcrafted wood work vs mass produced pieces when I was selling my own work at shows.

As you have stated often MSW does get a lot of inquiries about the value of random generic ships and many people don't understand the difference between the cheap one from China that was purchased at a store or a well crafted model by a master craftsman. Or the other big misunderstanding that even if it was handcrafted and has been in the family for generations it still may not be of any value other than sentiment as often the quality of the work is no greater than that cheap decoration ship from China.

It is good that you are taking the time to educate people. Much like Chuck's thread on banned ship kits and the reasons behind the ban, this kind of message can seem mean, cruel and unfair but if understanding can be achieved then appreciation of the true values can be had and the community becomes richer as a result.

As a stained glass artist in addition to a model shipbuilder, I get the same kind of questions and give the same kind of answers. A Mexican--or even Chinesse copy of a Tiffany lamp is worthless... and ugly.

• 3 months later...

This series is a good reminder to this newcomer to manage my expectations. What I aspire to and what i achieve (if I'm gloriously successful, mind you) will look like these before and after pics.  

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

• 1 month later...

Great stuff.  I've seen mystery models a lot on MSW as well as in my local club.  I do enjoy the guessing game they can turn into but in general yeah they arent worth a fortune.  There is some historical context that can be applied to a few of them.  This one for example I found in a thrift store.  I didnt purchase it because its worthless and I can build better.  It is antique though as it comes from a ship in bottle kit from the fifties.  A noticible aspect is the rope around the bottle.  The kit came with a bittle precut that was glued together once the ship was inside.  This was another aspect that makes it even more worthless.  A true ship in bottle goes through the bottle neck.  If the glass is cut a real collector will not give it a second glance. 

20161025_175614.thumb.jpg.499b8e0ea7d2c77f80449bd9ba68ad5f.jpg

One more that I've seen a a surprising amount of and they have a cool history.  In the late 1920's a man by the name of  Captain E Armitage McCann advertised ship modeling books in popular science magazine.  This was during the depression and his books were written to appeal to the poorer working class that might want an inexpensive hobby that would add some decor to their house.  This was also during a time some times referred to as the arts and crafts period.  The industrial revolution automated and mechanized so many thing so peoplewere afraid they would lose touch with real craftsmanship.  So they would hand build house decorations to keep rooted in manual hand built arts and crafts.  

Any way Captain McCann did several books with these types of models and I've run into three such models that were built from his books.  Here's one I found on Etsy.  It sold,for around $50.  Goes to show some have an interesting history and are antiques but they still aren't worth much.  Still I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a McCann model built in the 1930's one of these days. :) 

il_fullxfull.1085514414_t1oc.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! I have a few ships that look like the ones you mentioned that are for decoration. However, I have one that I have been unable to identify for over 15 years and it’s very old. I was told over 150 years! I love this ship and would love to know more about it and have it restored! I hope someone can help me here!

9E501552-4292-43F0-AD2A-35E71AD65AAB.jpeg

74B903AA-B737-4DAF-AFDB-78FCBD056357.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone! I'm totally new to the forum as well as the real world of model ships. :) I grew up sailing and was always drawn to sailing-related things. So the other day I went into this small antique store in Budapest (Hungary) and found a totally wrecked model ship, and went home with it. It's beautiful but needs a lot of reparations. I did some digging on what model it could be but so far found no pointers, and that's why I'm here. Is there a place I could post pictures of my boat where you, experts could take a look? Would it be here? So far I haven't found a better topic to ask for help in identifying the ship.

Thanks for your help! 

1 hour ago, freelime said:

Would it be here? So far I haven't found a better topic to ask for help in identifying the ship.

The Nautical General Discussion area (down towards the bottom of the topics list) would be a good spot.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

This thread is spot on CC, I'm glad to see someone take the time to educate people on this issue. I did take note about the shag carpet and avocado appliances though, I like both hahahahaha. This reminds me of clients who would want me to build a ship model for them, they would start off wanting a museum quality piece until I explained to them the cost and time involved in such a request versus a very good display or décor piece. They would always opt for the display or décor piece, they will look basically the same, it's just one is built from a kit or kit bashed to cut down on time and cost versus a scratch built project. 

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, is this thread an American thread?  I am curious if the subject matter has an effect on the value of the ship.  For example if it is an Knight’s Templar ship complete with details such as mask head in gold, gold thread cross sewn on the flag closest to the mask head when all of the other sails are brown with the Templar Cross on them.   What type of materials are looking for to have been used?  Would details such as ship bell be a positive?  Ship name has been hand scribed in gold but the second part of the name is barely visible now 

• 5 weeks later...
Hi everyone,
I'm absolutely new to this forum and the world of model building. I'm from the Netherlands.

I was wondering if someone could help me with information on: Caravella di C. Colombo 541/SM Pinta (Aeropiccola)

I bought one recently, but have never built a model of anything before. I was wondering if you know how old it is? What price I should ask if I were to sell? And where I might best try selling the kit or model. I'm assuming it's worth more now, than when I've made it. It would be fun to give it a go, but maybe I should sell this one and try with a simple/cheap kit instead. Since I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, how do people know the scale of the model? I see people writing about 1:2000 or something like that, but I can't find anything like that on the box. Does that mean mine isn't to scale?

The model kit is complete and comes with an instruction manual in Italian and in English. Hoping I successfully attached a picture to this post.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated very much so. 

Kind regards,
Ellen Mulder
Edited by Ellen Mulder
Didn't attach picture correctly. Will try again.

Ellen,

Look for the word "scala" (Italian for "scale") on either the plans (usually in the lower right corner) or box. Pinta is a very common modeling subject and available from numerous kit manufacturers. The Aeropiccola version is likely to be older and not up to the same standards of quality as newer kits. If you were to sell it on an auction site like eBay, I would expect that you might get something in the neighborhood of US$50. It's not a high-demand kit. As for something to build yourself, there are many kits out there that are suitable for beginners -- your choice will depend in some measure on what type of subject appeals to you.

Kind regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Thanks for the information ccoyle!

I haven't found scala anywhere, but I think the model is from 1987 or after. I found the year on the advertisement leaflet.

I would actually be happy with the $50 because I bought it for €2,50. From your comment I gather ship kits can be very pricey. I'm too nervous to start anything myself, and think I'd need to see a great model ship up close to get properly inspired. I have no idea what I would build. Do people also build docks for their boats? Little lighthouses? Do they ever see if their ships stay afloat and catch the wind for real? How about building a model with cardboard and paper? How about submarine models?! 😅 I feel like I have a lot more research to do. So much I have no clue about.

Kind regards,

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to MSW.

To answer some questions.. yes, some do quite some displays with docks, etc.  Most of us don't float our boats as they're too fragile, but in the Kit area there's an index of all the logs, pick the one that says: RC which should cover most of the ones that see water. I put a link to the index below.   As for card, yes again.  Same for subs.  Those can be kits or scratch and again, they should be in the index.

For starters, if you're thinking of building on, look around the gallery and see what draws your attention.  But to start, start small, maybe a small craft like a canoe or rowboat and then one with one mast.  Work from there. The advantage of starting small is you'll learn much and at not a large investment in tools or kits.   And by all means start a build log when you do.  You'll get help from others and also make some friends. 

Link to the Index: 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...

I just came across this topic when Chris directed a new comer to MSW to it.  I was unaware of it till today and now that I am aware of it, I will be providing the link to those writing to me asking if I can identify or fix their model.  It will be a real time saver. 

I have also provided the link to Mary - our NRG Office Manager - so she can send it to people who contact our office asking for help.  This will save her a lot of time and will also save me time (again) when she doesn't direct the questions to me.

Like David I wish I could see the face of some who said "OK but how much would you charge to fix it". 

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS