Hi!

Discovered this forum again (have been always registered here, but forgotten this) during my research to find out how to construct some details of the HMS Sophie. My problem is that there is just one commonly known existing plan of Jack Aubrey's HMS Sophie (former Spanish brig Vencejo) and the plan is not very good in every aspect.

At the moment I am having trouble with the Brodie Stove (found no possible information how it could look like and where it was installed on the HMS Sophie). I took the Brodie Stove from the Spanish Frigate Santa Leocadia

The second and more problematic issue is the question how could be the beams over the battery deck arranged? I found no similar ship to take a closer look on the construction.

The ship was built initially by me for a 3D-Animation, but now it serves as the main character for my web comic project. This is the reason why I need a highly detailed battery deck. For the 3D-Animation this deck should not been shown to closely.

Greetings

Ivi

post-20648-0-07463600-1464962322.jpg

Welcome back...

For the stove.. have a look here:   http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-furniture-and-deck-fittings.php  On English ship's, the stove would have been just aft of the main bitts under the forecastle. 

I have no idea on the rest of your questions.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi!

@ mtaylor

I have the problem with the Stove that the Vencejo has a hatch shown in the plan in front where the stove should be. You can see the hatch in my actual render...

@ JerseyCity Frankie

There is as I know only one existing plan showing the Vencejo. The Vencejo is the fictional HMS Sophie from Patrick O'Brians novels, although he also uses characteristics of the HMS Speedy...

@ Hipexec

The HMS Surprise is a wonderful ship. Maybe will build her someday...

I have added knees to the beams as you can see in this new rendered view. Would it be possible for the brig to have this beams and knees arranged like this?

Greetings

Ivi

post-20648-0-55001700-1465247278_thumb.jpg

The configuration of the Sophie was more like that of the Fair American. The real-life inspiration for her was Lord Cochrane's HMS Speedy, whose plan survives. But Speedy had no poop deck. The cruises and battles of Aubrey's Sophie was a shot for shot retelling of the real career of Cochrane's  Speedy. HMS Speedy also took the 34-gun Spanish Xebec frigate Gamo, in the manner exactly described in the climax of the book Master and Commander.

Hi!

I know the story of taking the Gamo from Lord Cochrane. I tried to create the HMS Sophie as described by Patrick O'Brian and painted by Geoff Hunt. But the Speedy maybe the next project.... :10_1_10:

I have been told in an other forum about Napoleonic ships, that the knees I constructed within the beams over the main deck would not be very practicable on a ship of that small size. The most upper decks do not even have to carry guns here...

I rendered a test showing the gun deck as seen from the front looking to the stern...

Greetings

Ivi

post-20648-0-02687900-1465420233.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks a bit large for a brig.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 1 month later...

The whole gundeck area.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi!

I had some problems while working with the blueprints of the Vencejo. If the measures are absolutely right, then it would be impossible to use some of the guns, because the height of the deck makes it impossible to stay, to work and even just to normally walk around. In the great cabin you could only sit with your head down. Entering the cabin and walking around in it would be very painful.... :huh:

Greetings

Ivi

That's about right.  They were not all that roomy and the folks were smaller then.  Movie and TV depictions are bad examples because they often build the sets overly large to accommodate the film crews, cameras and comfort of the actors.  IIRC, the BOUNTY used for the 1960s movie was 1.5 times the size of the real BOUNTY.

That is also the reason why, unlike the army, the British navy never stands when they make a toast.  Tradition.  Back in the day, if you stood in the wardroom or great cabin, you may end up whackin' your head on some beam or overhead object.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi!

I am working currently on a webcomic based on fictial events taking place aboard this ship. Therefore, just like you mentioned the movie and TV crews, I had to "resize" the deck sizes, when they are shown. In the first post of me you can see the actual "real" size of the ship. But for the scenes below the upper decks I faked the size of the ship.

Also, initially I made the mistake to built to big seamen for this particular era. My Seamen are about 1,85m high - too high for the Napoleonic era. 1,60 would be more comfortable...

Greetings

Ivi

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The ship and the figure look great, nice renders.  Magnus, it was not uncommon for the cook, or his offsider to have a wooden leg or hook arm, as that was one of the few jobs a disabled crew member could  sign on for if not fully able to man the yards, or do landlubber tasks.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Ivi, really nice work.  I'm curious about the stern cabins, do they appear at all on the plans or elsewhere.  I know this set-up is usual in larger ships, but they seem so very small on this vessel that I question their utility and especially considering the space premium to accommodate the crew.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)