First naval engagement US versus British

allanyed

June 11, 1775 the American sloop Unity engages and defeats the HMS Margaretta in Boston in the first naval engagement between the Americans and British.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Nope. First is claimed off Fairhaven Mass. On 14 May 1775.

The capture of the Margheretta was June 11, but nowhere near Boston. The battle was in Machias Bay on the coast of Maine (at the time, part of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay).

Quite the annual celebration each year in Machias (parade was yesterday).

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne,

I will not argue with you as I have great respect for your knowledge and library.  Just picked that one up off the internet and as we can see, we should not believe everything we read on the internet.  Thanks for the correction!  I hope their parade and celebration was a really fun time!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Wayne,

I will not argue with you as I have great respect for your knowledge and library.  Just picked that one up off the internet and as we can see, we should not believe everything we read on the internet.  Thanks for the correction!  I hope their parade and celebration was a really fun time!

Allan

Ah, you are much to kind, sir!

'Tis a common error for those from away (in this case, defined as beyond New England) to confuse anything north of New York City with "Boston".  Not your error, but rather who ever posted the one you spotted.  Sort of like assuming that since you are from Florida you must be close to Jacksonville. About the same distance separates the locations.

I actually had not been familiar with the Battle of Machias Bay until after moving here - as I noted, it is a rather large point of pride for the residents of Machias and neighboring communities. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 1 year later...

I am wondering if there is any more definitive description of HMS Margaretta and Unity than in these paintings, which appear to be contradictory. 

D5F393BA-8868-486A-B41F-C0BF07A8ECB2.jpeg.107b166b0589834fd6a19cb2997f8275.jpeg

F2C43F29-CBEE-4638-8B73-43FD85BC4B6A.thumb.jpeg.791ec128ce34d3f017526fec0a6b8ced.jpeg

The first doesn’t depict any square rigging on Margaretta

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa