Matrim

Amphion Drafts Mark III

80 posts in this topic

Wayne,

You are probably right on that. I always thought the taper was a little extreme too, but was caught in the 1/8 inch on each side thinking. I will probably go with your interpretation from now.

Hoss

Matrim likes this

Druxey's "hunch" for a long time has been that the taper begins close to where the cant frames begin.  The 24' figure comports well with that notion.

I got to thinking.  What if the length of the taper also defines the length of the keel piece?  For example, if we use Steel for a 36 gun frigate, the length of the keel tread is 126' 2"; the keel is sided amidships 1' 4", forward 1' 2" and aft 1' 1".  By this the after taper begins 24' and the forward taper 16' from the respective ends.  Steel calls for six keel pieces (the Repository calls for five).  Now, if the forward keel piece is 16' and the after piece is 24' (for a total of 40'), then the remaining four keel pieces take up 86' 2" and each piece would be 21' 7".  Should one use five pieces the inner pieces would be 28' 8" (or 9").  These seem like viable lengths for the keel pieces.  

The same procedure for a 74 gives the fore and aft pieces at 24' with five inner pieces of 22' 5" (or 6").  Again, this seems viable.

Of course, all these would be adjusted to account for the joints.

I have made my keel piece lengths as roughly equal, but the above was an amusing exercise if nothing else.  

Wayne

druxey, mtaylor and Matrim like this

On the other hand, the only plan I have that shows the keel scarphs shows them equidistant from one another, so we add some hesitation to the above calculations.

Wayne

mtaylor likes this

Wonderful work guys plus the 24 ft does match the current taper start location quite well so I wont have to re-draw. That was a quite interesting discussion for a point that turns out to validate the guestimate approach taken by many of us :)

druxey, Mark P and mtaylor like this

K, after the (much needed) assistance from Wayne and Druxey (see Rising wood thread currently around 2 higher than this).

I have drawn out the rising wood though I had to redraw on the master plan first.

post-387-0-51334600-1484159168_thumb.png

post-387-0-74369600-1484159176_thumb.png

As before I am using a simplified notch system to make it easier to seat the frames, As with a lot of things this will introduce its own complications though these will mainly occur when cross marking the relevant heights on the actual individual frame plans (the seat of the frame on the rising wood is usually angled so if it is not horizontal then it needs to be equally carefully marked as it wont be a default height above the bottom any more but will be higher (or lower) dependant on where the horizontal line was taken off of)

Just to reiterate what was done a fresh buttock line was taken off of the body plan using the keel lines. This generated a line that sank veey close to the keel itself at the centerpoint but did not quite touch. Horizontal lines were then thrown up from here 6 inches (the base size of the notch) generating the plans above.

As mentioned before another way of doing this include generating an angled rising wood section with no notches. I did not follow this path because I am happier with right angles and the notches will also help seat the frames at the correct location.

Phew. Next up the much simpler stem and apron structures.

mtaylor and druxey like this

Just produced the Stem Plans. Not really certain of the best way to get the tapering on the plan so we'll have to see if this approach works or if it needs further adjustments..

post-387-0-68171300-1484694173_thumb.png

post-387-0-87894600-1484694180_thumb.png

I have enough to get started (and keep me busy a few months) so I might stop work on plans until my Bounty is out of the way and start when I start work on the build.

Then again....hmm have to consider the pros and cons.

druxey, Pete38, mtaylor and 2 others like this

Not decided yet so am continuing (at least until the spine of the ship is potentially done so the knee of the head, stern posts/rudder/rear deadwood) as an when really.

Next shot is the side view of the apron

post-387-0-23761800-1485382349_thumb.png

Nothing very exciting though the split in three appears unusual (either that or other plans deliberately leave it at two to simplify the piece..)

I considered doing a fron view but since that will involve various curves to fit I will eventually cut to sized wood and resize above and below the bearding line accordingly. Well that is the current plan and may change when tool comes to wood..

Cheers for reading as always. I may do the knee of the head side view next following the same setup mainly as that is relatively simple..

mtaylor and BANYAN like this

I'm following along Joss :) and enjoying your discussion.  I am currently doing a simple 2D plan and side elevation drawing of the Victoria, but one day hope to draw up full plans - so I am following along to see what you do 

cheers

Pat

Matrim and mtaylor like this

That would make logical sense except for the fact that the majority of the cant frames sit on that piece... When I get home tonight I will post a composite of all the relevant pieces of that section (apron, stem, keelson) which should help validate/deny...

mtaylor and druxey like this

K here are some more 'global' plans. I have adjusted the colour of what is assumed to be the apron (above) to light green so it can be picked out amongst the surroundings easier.

post-387-0-84665300-1485466041.png

Second shot includes the cant frames but focuses more on the keel area than the above

post-387-0-07581800-1485466046_thumb.png

I am going to have to search through some of the paper plans though as I also decided to validate against the originals and on the sheer (at least) the upper joint does not occur.  Therefore it is possible that the lower apron is very short and the upper quite long.. I shall have to go and drag out all the plans though as that joint will have occured on one of them otherwise it would not have been added to the master..

Joss,

I really like your drawings but are you sure about size and shape of the scarph between gripe and main piece ? I think it is unusually long...

/Rainer

mtaylor likes this

The long line between the lips of the scarph is actually an arc, I suspect.  Several years ago there was a discussion of the shape of the "flat" of the scarph of the stem pieces at 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4080-scantling-questions/page-17#entry289479

If that discussion is accurate, and I suspect it is, then perhaps the scarph of the break water is also curved.  The "flat" arc passes through a point halfway between the lips and at the mid point for the thickness of the timber.  Attached shows this for the scarph in question.

post-24-0-34908800-1485655354_thumb.jpg

I think this makes a much more serviceable joint.

Wayne

On the scarph the length was indicated by the plans and I always take the plans over other considerations (inlcuding Steel). I also (deliberately) flatten the scarph because it makes it easier to cut and join pieces together so is a simplification of actual practice to simplify building. Useful to know what it should be so thank you both.

I have also looked around the various books and in the Swan and Euryalus the plans have the apron in two piece , labelled the apron. In the Naid the relevent section is in three pieces and the joints match shape and direction with the ones in mine with the lowest joint marked lower apron and the upper two upper apron. All the books have deadwood above the apron and all the books have the apron starting next to (but not exactly on) the upper line of the rising wood. So as far as I can tell (and lets face it we have several authors here so anything I say should be taken with a ton of salt if it in any way disagrees with posted pronouncements) this is the apron. I will try and move into more primary sources though (and still have not checked the other plans).

Thanks all for your comments..

druxey likes this

Madce an attempt at a knee of the head plan. May not go this approach (which requires more research) as I am still umming and aaing about different structures and possibly simplifying to make the construction easier.

post-387-0-47098900-1486503215_thumb.png

From what I have read so far there are several different ways of building this up so it is a matter of designer preference as to how...

Be a lot easier if there weren't so many options huh Joss :)  I am having the same issue with researching my Victoria.  You seem to be making some good headway though.

cheers

Pat

Thanks, a part of me does keep thinking how much stronger the end structure would be (and easier to make) if I just did it in one piece. I keep hitting that part of me on the head with a plank of wood to keep it in check..

mtaylor likes this

Joss: the standard and extension were generally smaller, along the lines of the image I've taken the liberty of drawing over. The narrow 'wear' strip along the fore edge was made to be easily replaceable. Feel free to ignore my suggestions!

post-635-0-06066200-1486559467.jpg

Mark P, BANYAN, Matrim and 1 other like this