Stag by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - English Revenue Cutter of 1827 - Finished

Well, the Stag is back, but only in a “from here on” form, as I never keep copies of my posts.

Just to remind you, the Stag was an English revenue cutter built at Ryde, on the Isle of Wight, in 1827. 
This was the revenue cutter that seized my Great-great grandfather’s boat Palmerin, which was the subject of a now defunct build log on the old site.  I felt it only fair to build a model of the revenue cutter as well – besides, I’ve always liked cutters.

Oddly enough, the Stag was the fastest cutter of her day and as a consequence, the Royal Navy took her into Portsmouth Dockyard in 1839 and took off her lines, which resulted in a very nice set of detailed ‘as built’ drawings, which are housed in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich.

To kick off the resurrected log, here are contemporary paintings of the Stag, her inboard profile and some photos of her as she stands now.

I’ll hopefully be posting an update next week, but in the meantime I’ll be happy to answer any questions that members may have about the build in view of the fact that the information in the old log hasn’t been
reproduced here.

John

post-5-0-83612900-1360995473_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-37627600-1360995477_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-24821500-1360995480_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-83014300-1360995482_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-55976600-1360995486_thumb.jpg

Hi John, Yes the loss was painfull, I will follow along as you continue the build. Good to see you back up and running.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nice to your Stag back John - shame about the loss of the previous log, but we'll all enjoy following you to the finish line from here on!

Cheers,
Grant

I loved your build log and it is a pitty it got lost. However, I'm glad we can still have this as reference material.

These cutters needed to be fast with the smuggling during those days ... It's incredible how much sail she could carry, even under heavy weather.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Glad to see Stag has returned.  Oh yeah, you too John.

And thanks for including one photo with that whacky galley stack. :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

And from your on saying, its now the fun begins, eyh?! (read Rigging)

Good to have you back!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I am glad to have made it back!............glad to see the Stag did as well.   thankfully people talk....or I wouldn't have known when MSW was back online.   I couldn't use the bookmark I have,  so I had to do a search in order to reconnect with the site.......just got in tonight.

it's so sad to see the library so bare

gone is the content that used to be there

it was like taking a walk on the longest pier

to view all the ships that used to be here

through all the effort,  of all that are friend

will whittle away,  in an effort to mend

the void that was created, by the electronic foe

back to the greatest site,  that we used to know

it's not much,  but I threw this together for you folks at MSW...........we'll get her back ship shape Sir{s} :D:)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

an appointment I would be all to happy to take on :)    just so happy to be back with all my friends.  I took Monday off.........I think I'll be quite busy tonight!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nice to see your Revenue Cutter Stag log back in action, John, looking forward to more updates :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hey John great to see you and this great build reappear.  Could I ask that one of your next posts includes a scaling device or ruler so that newer folks see just how small a scal you work with?

Popeye -  we'll look forward to the  :champagne:   when you are appointed :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thank you pat.......and every one who  'liked'  the poem.   a great comedian once said in an interview,  that he used to travel around with a note pad in his pocket......every time he thought of something,  he'd write it down.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

John---   just don't use Australian coin currency as a size reference :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I managed to get a bit of work done today, but no photos, unfortunately.

The bowsprit is now permanently fitted (I hope I don't regret it later), I replaced the anchor shaskles and got a bit of work done on the main mast and top mast.

I took my camera in to the museum with a set of fully charged batteries only to find when I get there that my 'alternate brand' set of batteries had lost their full charge in only four days! Oh well, photos next time!

John

Welcome back John :) . I'll be following with interest as usual.

What? You don't save ANY of your pics??? Why on earth not?

A hard lesson, what happened a week ago :huh:  .

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

but I didn't think that this was an important enough log to reconstruct it completely.

John I think you are underestimating the value that your log contributes to the sum of knowledge on this forum!!

Could you not add a shorter set so that some context is provided and that the members don't think that you stole Harry Potter's Wand and just materialized the wonderful model out of thin salty air?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello Jim,

It's always a pleasure to see your work. The English das quite a variety of cutters, and this is a fine example of good old English Naval Architecture. I cannot really give my opinion, as my line of builds is 1850 to 1945, but I do recognise good work. Well done Jim, you have created a small jewel. I echo, what the other have said, I cannot wait to see her ready for action. I have the billing boats Wasa, Denmark and the German WW1 sailing auxiliary cruiser. Still in their boxes. I must find some time to get these started.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

oh well John...........but at least it's nice to hear you got to work on her........I'll look forward in seeing some pictures soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

John:

I am sure everyone would like to see at least a few photos of your early framing and planking process on this model. It is really quite something to behold.

Russ