La Couronne by yancovitch - FINISHED - RADIO

hello,

i thought i'd share my project here, cause it should be somewhat different then most of the couronne models i've seen built, and may be interesting to some...........

it will be an occasional entry showing where i'm at at a given time rather than a complete build log, as i really don't know what i'm doing, or how to do it, day to day, since, aside from the basic drawings, much will have to be made up......

as i live in a small town or village, i don't  have access to many materials, so when i had the opportunity to get some cherry wood locally, i grabbed it, not realizing that the swirly grain after varnishing, would show up so much....but i'm living with it and am continuing the build.....if the grain will bother me too much  below the waterline, i'll paint it white.......

i found that varnish made the grain to dark and exposed, so i used polyurethane, which was better, although the wood looks dark below the lower wale because i used epoxy resin and 2-1/2 oz cloth finished with urethane.....the resin also darkens the wood......i coated the inside the ship with 6 oz cloth and epoxy resin....weighs about 20 lbs now.....  

this is where i'm at so far.......the hull is around 6 feet long...total should be under 8 feet and hopefully will be sailable.....using the drawings shown, but will make many modifications...the lines were of low resolution, so i had to do much guesswork....

made some windows from mesh bag, painted black, and poured on some polyester resin....but the resin disolved the black...so used epoxy resin....but the fibres in the mesh started coming undone and it looked messy...so i got an aluminum mesh screen from an exhaust vent i butchered, painted it black, and used the epoxy resin, and i'm satisfied with the result.....

made a madonna for the stern out of super sculpey, but may  do more work on it later

so well see what happens next.......

post-12143-0-58695200-1473094113_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-43207900-1473094130_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-62282300-1473094136_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-53095200-1473094153_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-93270200-1473094181_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-19070300-1473094185_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-31034100-1473094188_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-86791400-1473094228_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-98450300-1473094233_thumb.jpg

You are doing a great job on her. Going to be on awesome ship when you get her done.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

What a monster... and great looking one at that.   Personally, I like the cherry...  your planking is lovely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For someone who doesn't know what you are doing, you're doing a mighty fine job. the radio controls will be interesting and there are many here who will be glad to help.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

funny, every time i build a model, it's like the first time, like i'm starting from scratch....i don't seem to have much retention.....what goes in one eye, goes out the other....what goes in one ear goes out the other :D ....i hardly remember building previous models....although i think some of my instincts manage to get through....talk about living in the present :)

still more decorations to come...ordered some mini crowns from china...ha..good luck.........will tile the domes with round tiles, and paint them a dark metalic bronze.....and the cabin between the towers will not slope right up to the hull, but have a pointed roof before sloping down to the hull....happy how the windows turned out...............still haven't figured out what to do with the bow yet.....sorry, used too slow a speed on camera...

post-12143-0-29929900-1473531428_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

She is looking good. The blue came out nice and those decorations are looking excellent. I'm very impressed with the way the windows look. I may have to try out your technique for making them on my next build.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

thought i should throw in a side view .....keeping the upper gun deck open as shown in some etchings i've seen.....and adding sides to the beakhead so i can add some naked women or whatever :)...haven't decided whether or not to add some openings on the cabin between the two towers.....ha...looking forward to figuring out how to make the huge lantern (s) at the stern.....should be fun......

oh.....cut the tip of my thumb on the table saw, so i'm out of commission for a bit...........

post-12143-0-01395300-1473613238_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

thanks buck, but two people should be able to grab it ..one at each end and place it in the water off the dock...one holds the mast while the other starts loading maybe 10-15lb blocks of lead,which are coated to avoid contamination......will probably add an external keel but i haven't decided yet exactly how or  how much....

Lovely build Yancovitch,

quite a pretty "beast" with 6 ft hull-length !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks  nils.....again i'm happy with the windows, but i will give them a spray of satin urethane to reduce the shine when they're done....will look much better.....still haven't decided whether or not to leave the main deck with open gunports as in the photos or hatchem.....hmmmmm.....

• 3 weeks later...

ok..........got all the main parts put together but not yet glued.....
the two stern towers are joined with a pointed roof rather than a slanted roof and i changed the beakhead somewhat....as in previous photo, the gun ports on the main deck will not be hatched...the gratings are basically put together too....oh...the domes will be shingled..bronze circular...
now for all the fiddly stuff...which will be much more relaxing.....the brain strain is done with....whew!.......ha....i'm learning to live with the swirly wood.....

post-12143-0-94364100-1475553915_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-16757200-1475553919_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-48817500-1475553922_thumb.jpg

post-12143-0-43705100-1475553929_thumb.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

Wow! That is truly impressive! Seeing her out in the sunlight really enhances all the fine work you are doing.

I hope that table is on wheels to help you move her around or do you have help? How heavy is she?

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

yea....the romance of sail...........that's the only reason i'm building it :)....ha...that's the big challenge in building this...to make it light and strong.....it only weighs 24 lbs at this time with most of the parts included....the masts shouldn't weigh too much...using basswood.....the ballast may come to 70 lbs...just guessing...which will be inserted while in the water...although i may add an external keel too......

but i may slow down a bit, cause i must finish the rigging on my confederacy ....and as i'm building the couronne in my bedroom, it will give me a break from all the fumes and dust of which most has passed thank god.....i must be very vigilant regarding this from now on, as i'm starting to feel some effects in my chest.....actually it's amazing i lasted this long haha........

Great idea using those paper punch outs as shingles. Looks very time consuming placing them one by one but that is what makes a great model!

You may have to do some mixing to get the right shade as most of the ready made copper paints I have are all on the bright side.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Yancovitch,

The GRAND DADDY of all la Couronnes!! Awesome.

Regards

thanks...i'll try to find some........oh...i don't have an airbrush......i have model color 70999 copper, but it's too bright,....the bronze i have is too greenish...

You can use it with a brush too, at east that's what I do. if it doesn't cover in one, give it another layer. The airbrush colours of Vallejo are thinned down to use with airbrus. That's the only difference. The rustoleum is a nice alternative though

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks carl, but i'll stick with the rustoleum, cause i can order it from home hardware here....for me to order the vallejo, it would cost just as much if not more....

i don't know about in the usa.....but ordering online from canada, has become so expensive....i wanted to order a $10 bag containing metal crown charms value pack in different sizes from hobby lobby, and they wanted $30 for shipping...sheesh...

Yes, postage is killing us modellers softly ... But rustoleum is good, so don't apologise. It's your build, and your money. We can only give suggestions. BTW love you build ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...