Julie Mo

Would This Glue Serve A Useful Purpose In Model Building?

36 posts in this topic

Hi Les,

A friend of mine, who is a far better luthier then I, suggested a glue pot he bought at Music Caravan.  I bought it with the heater.  It's perfect for detail work and small projects and keeps the glue at the right temperature.

gpheater.jpggp1.jpghank1.jpg

I also bought 1 pound of their hide glue.  I am very happy with the purchase. 

Hi Les,

So far, I have only used it on the 2nd planking.  If I knew about it when I started, I would have used it on everything I have done so far.  I realize there will probably be times when I might resort to PVA or CA glue.  This is my first model so I cannot predict when those other glues might be preferable. 

I know if I am looking at using CA or hide glue, I would choose hide glue because I like to be able to press down with my fingers without gluing my fingers to the wood.  CA would be necessary if you need low viscosity because hide glue is closer to syrup than water in viscosity.  I'm trying to think when PVA would be preferable but so far, I can't think of any application it would.  I guess I will find out as I progress.

Hide glue begins to set up in about 5-10 seconds but you can still pull the piece off and reset it by dabbing on more glue.  It takes maybe a minute or so to hold wood that is under stress, more if it is under a lot of stress.  Until 10 minutes or so you can clean up squeeze out pretty easily.  After that you may need a sharp tool like a chisel to clean it up.

I have held a piece in place with my fingers for 10 seconds and the glue will hold it as long as there isn't a lot of stress.  I have taken of pieces after approximately 15 seconds without breaking them.  It's pretty user friendly. 

Canute and mtaylor like this

Update:

I am continuing to use hide glue on the second planking.  I have not once considered switching back to Titebond, which I used for all of the first planking.  But that is not to say hide glue leaves nothing to be desired. 

On the downside, you have to mix it (but once mixed you can store it in the refrigerator for easy access).  You have to wait until it's hot enough to use.  That could be 10-20 minutes.  If you are working with it all day, you have to add water occasionally or it will become gummy and difficult to use.  And on long planks, it can dry before the entire plank is secured.  I've switched to gluing a section at a time on long planks and that seems to solve the problem.

What I love about it - I can press the wood into place and hold it there while the glue sets (as long as spring back isn't an issue).  It dries quickly allowing me to lay more planks in a day than I could with Titebond.  It washes off my hands easily.  It doesn't seal the wood pores like other glues but you do have to remove any surface glue before finishing.

One other update - in the Christmas catalog from Lee Valley, I saw they sell a glue pot and warmer for $36.50.  That's a little over 1/3 what I paid for mine.  The only things I would want on their glue pot is an opening in the top for the brush and maybe a little larger lifting arm.  The glue pot can get pretty hot.  And I hope that button opposite the lifting arm isn't a locking button because that would be a pain.  The size is perfect for model building.    

09a0282s1.jpg 

09a0282s2.jpg