HMS Triton cross section - FINISHED - by G.L. Scale 1:24

Dear Administrator and forum members,

Today I started my cross section project. I want to build my model in oak and in scale 1/24.

Making the keelson and keel is not such a big deal, just sawing the pieces to the right dimensions. To make the rabbet in the keel, I made a scraper out of an old iron saw blade. First I sawed a groove on the location of the rabbet in the keel, afterwards I sharpened it with the scraper.

post-19123-0-75831000-1474717056_thumb.jpg

post-19123-0-03302300-1474717071_thumb.jpg

post-19123-0-45726600-1474717084_thumb.jpg

Edited by G.L.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you administrator for access to the download area and thank you tkay11 and Pete38 for the welcomes and all the others for the likes. I will try to make an interesting blog of it. First thing I did when I was in town was going to a copy-center to make scale 200% copies of a part of the plans and now I am thinking about the approach of the project.

I hope to come soon with  a first report of progress.

I'm looking forward to your log also.

Definitely double check the copies for accuracy as sometimes (usually?) they don't copy at exactly 200% due to the machine not being accurate.  It's a function of copiers and scanners at 100% to prevent counterfeiting of currency and many times that inaccuracy continues for enlargements and downsizing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the Triton shipyards

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...

I glue the false keel on the keel. A friend made two brass tubes with screw thread to mount the model. The tubes are bolted on the building plate an two holes with a slight larger diameter then the tubes are drilled in the keel. The keel is pushed on the tubes with some glue in the holes.

post-19123-0-97776300-1477932255_thumb.jpg

post-19123-0-77053200-1477932263_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I do not want to spoil my 200% copies, therefore I copy the frame drawing, using carbon paper.  I lay the drawing on a plate of glass to have flat surface to assemble the frame. The first layer of futtocks is glued on the drawing with rubber cement. Between the joints of wood pieces I put wood glue.

post-19123-0-14737000-1479748281_thumb.jpg

post-19123-0-85587300-1479748297_thumb.jpg

Next day the frame is ready for further treatment: Sanding with the drum sander.

You see the result on the second picture. Holding the frame in hands, I am bit surprised of the size of a 1/24 scale frame. Compared with a frame of another project, a 1/20 scale shrimper, it looks enormous.

post-19123-0-17967300-1479748694.jpg

post-19123-0-37819600-1479748708_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I wish all forum members a happy and prosperous New Year with a lot of modelling pleasure in 2017! Before going to the family this afternoon, I have some time to line up with the progress on the cross section.

As an aid to place the frames vertical, I made two wooden perpendicular supports which keep a shelf vertical. On the shelf the middle line of the cross section is drawn. That will be my aid to glue the frames on the keel.

The lieutenant on the second picture is in scale 1,70 m high, just to have an idea of the proportions

post-19123-0-87184500-1483269754_thumb.jpg

post-19123-0-66794000-1483269772_thumb.jpg

post-19123-0-32031800-1483269810_thumb.jpg

After the sanding I make the notches for the gun port lintels. As can be seen on the picture the frames on the port side are a bit to short below the gun port. Fortunately there will be planking on top of it.

post-19123-0-41923000-1483270277_thumb.jpg

post-19123-0-65221700-1483270288_thumb.jpg

post-19123-0-21383700-1483270300_thumb.jpg

To determine the angle of the sides of the limber boards, I fix a piece of cardboard with some scotch tape on the end of the keelson and limber strake. This way it is easy to line the contours of the space between them. The result is a template of the limber board.

post-19123-0-69993400-1483270461_thumb.jpg

Looking good.  I like the way everything is going.  The limber strakes look great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark,

I have a question about the limber boards. I guess they were removable to check the level of the water in the bilges. I suppose they were shorter than the lenght of the cross section and there were (finger)holes in it in order to make it easier to lift them up. Do you have an idea of the lenght and the look (from above) of the limber boards?

Geert

Geert, I had the same question in my build log. All the replies I got were they are about 3 feet long with a hole drilled at the ends for lifting out. So I scaled my accordingly. Turned out looking nice so that is what I went with.

Go to page 9 on my log and scroll down to about post #170 and you can read the replies.

Hope this helps

Edited by Pete38

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

What Pete said.  The removable part was more for cleaning out debris than checking the water level.  The limber channel was for the water to drain into the well and given the nature of the ships, it wasn't unusual for them to get clogged up.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: