HMS Triton cross section - FINISHED - by G.L. Scale 1:24

Not only the build log, also the model is coming along great. Nice progress

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...

I use pine planks for the decks. I searched for the planks with the finest grains that I dispose of. To imitate the caulking between the planks, I glue strips of 220 gram black paper on the edge of each plank.

104.JPG

105.JPG

Hey howya goin G.L. Thats 1:24 scale damn thats big, great jobs mate can't wait to see more.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It has been since March that I made any progress in the Triton cross section project because I gave priority at my Ostend shrimper project for some months. Time to take up the thread now.

The deck beams and gun deck stanchions were already made in March.

111.JPG

Here the stanchions are placed in the model almost on their positions. They are placed just behind each deck beam because I do not want to saw them to height before I place definitively the deck beams.

117.JPG

Looks great G.L., I am glad to see another active log in the cross section , I am currently only at the gluing the frames stage of my build so I will follow along with your masterpiece:10_1_10:

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

On ‎22‎-‎11‎-‎2017 at 1:37 AM, Derek C said:

Looks great G.L., I am glad to see another active log in the cross section , I am currently only at the gluing the frames stage of my build so I will follow along with your masterpiece:10_1_10:

Derek

Derek,

Glad that we'll be at least two to work at the cross section. I just visited your log, your guns are looking great. I signed me in as follower.

G.L.

I remember from the lower deck that the making of the notches for the ledges in the carlings a monotonous job, so I decide to make them in parts and fill them immediately with ledges. In-between the first two deck beams.

122.JPG

122a.JPG

I intend to paint the lower deck in white. I guess that it would be very difficult to do so when the gun deck is already in place, so beams, knees, carlings and ledges are not glued already. I remove them again and will paint them before gluing on position.

126.JPG