Endeavour Update

innkeeper

Hi Guys 

Well I have parted with my hard earned cash and ordered my kit. I have gone for the Caldercraft Endeavour. I have also ordered a book Captain Cook's Endeavour Anatomy of the ship. Dont know if i will need this book but seen it mentioned on the forum cant do any harm. Are there any other books you guy's can think of that may come in handy. Going to send off and get some clamps seems you need a lot of these, looking at some of the pics in build logs. Will also order some set squares. Will check the tools a friend has loaned me and see whats there.

Cant wait for kit to get here now and see whats in the box.

Right this will be my first proper go at a build. Did have a go Years ago but never got very far. So when I do a build log if you see me going wrong PLEASE SHOUT STOP. 

Also expect some stupid questions and if you can see into the future of the build please feel free to give me a bit of warning about whats ahead.

Really want to do a good job of this even if it takes all winter or longer.

Will say thanks now for any future help and input you guys give

rob  :cheers:

Current and my First Build  H M Bark Endeavour.

All the best for your build. Take your time. The bow on this ship is very buff so it's quite tricky.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Well the Kit got here today Had a quick look whats in the Box and there's is a lot.

So will have a read on build Logs and how you post pics and keep you all up to speed. Also some of the post I have read on this forum have some words or abbrevialion's that are new to me is there a thread that lists these. Save me looking stupid and asking people to repeat what they have taken the time to post.

So back to the build logs if I have a question do I put it in the Build log or in a separate post if it about the bit am working on.

"7-800 hr" wow 

If that's how long it takes so be it. I really want to do it right.

rob

More tools have got here today. Have also told the wife (Les) I really need a Dremel and some other stuff. I have also been reading other build logs and some of the words and phrases go over my head (ie main wale line) is there a thread on this site thats sort of like a Dictionary 

rob

Hi rob,may I suggest you buy a Proxxon instead of a Dremel. I've a Dremel 398 which I bought 7 years ago,sounded like a bag of nails from the start,and it vibrated as well. I doubt if it's had an hours use since. I've a Proxxon IB/E and 50/E plus other Proxxon tools,cant fault them and they are very quiet running to boot. J.M.O of course. Good luck with your build when you start it.

Dave :dancetl6:  

P.S. If you do go for a Proxxon try here :- www.tbs-aachen.de or www.satberlin.de and save yourself a few quid. A fair bit cheaper than UK prices even counting postage. No connection to these companies,just a satisfied customer.

Edited by davyboy

Rob,

A good reference source for all things tall ship is zu Mondfeld's "Historical Ship Models".   Much is explained by pictures and text including rigging.  It may not be accurate for specifics but it is an excellent reference (and reasonably priced) to have around.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)