Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluenose2

Photoetch

Hello Les here. I though I could get ahead of the game by CAing some of the parts of my DJ Parkins etch set. I am now assembling the parts and realise that CA does not stand up to the soldering process, it boils out when heated. My concern is I am now working on the bandstand for the main gun on my 1/72 Snowberry. My question. Is there a way to disolve the CA so I could solder then assemble the parts?

Les,

CA dissolves with acetone, but it's nasty stuff. Be sure use gloves, have a lot of ventilation and avoid splashing it on yourself. Just immerse the PE in the acetone for a few minutes and the pieces should come apart easily. Be sure to clean the pieces very well before soldering.

Best,

John

mtaylor, Canute and bluenose2 like this

Hello mtaylor. Thnx for the info. Photo etch is a great push forward for builders as it gives great detail. Building as I have found can be challenging at best. My biggest struggle has been with building up the micro small parts into larger bits.It's starting to frustrate me. I know if I stick with it I can build a museum quality replica. Most of my issues end up being lack of information on how to do the job and experience.

Canute and mtaylor like this