Simple carving techniques for first-timers using a rotary tool and burrs

Hello Joachim,

The Realle is certainly an interesting subject, and as you say, quite a challenging one from the carving perspective.  My presumption, here, is that you are building a model from scratch, and not the Heller or any other kit.

My first piece of advice would be to obtain or draw good plans that show a clear layout of the ornamental work, such that the carving is in scale, and proportionally consistent with the carving style and norms of 17th C. France.  If the layout isn’t good, to begin with, the finished carvings will reflect that.

Fortunately, original gilded and carved works from a French Realle  still exist at the Musee de la Marine in Paris, I believe, although the following images are tagged Rochefort.  This is as good a primary source as one could hope for in attempting to capture the exuberance and the artistry of the French Baroque era:

477F54BE-F06E-4515-828E-122C51E07279.thumb.png.2335c70d9bfad21b7ad999521352fe6b.png

24E9A882-BD73-4C60-8C73-9700E3D70A14.thumb.png.611caa9eb8d99ffeab3c1f088b3d4c79.png

A068BC93-841E-4AC6-8D4C-19037FDE8713.thumb.png.c56f0c04e823203a1dc9bf14da8622a9.png

5A54CEAB-4B21-4BA9-A343-096D0BA4A1CE.thumb.png.c89232efba2020d7c94f7a1e732d4a96.png

That would be my starting point suggestion for such an involved project as this.  I certainly look forward to your build log and will happily follow along, once youhave begun.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Joachim,

A great reference is the one listed above:   http://carvingbook.weebly.com/english-pdf-version.html

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello, 

thank you all very much.

@mtaylor

The carving book reference is very interesting. It is the first book which handles such carvings as we need for our models. Very good! Such book references is what I hoped for.

@Hubac's Historian

Many thanks for these pictures of the carvings. Your assumption is correct, I want to build the Reale from scratch in 1:36. First I want to create a new plan, because the only existing plan from the 60s of Paris is not suitable in some places. The Heller and Corel plans are also based on this plan. I have already begun with the first development of the frames.

Years ago I got the model kit from Corel that I originally wanted to build before I came to forums and learned more. I know it will be difficult and time-consuming, but that's what makes it interesting.

Since the Corel model is otherwise a quite good model kit, I have introduced it in the corresponding section.

I already have some pictures of the Parisian carvings, but it is still difficult enough. That's why your pictures are very good. The other question for me is whether there are certain procedures that make it easier, especially for the carvings of such models.

Regards, Joachim

Edited by schiffebastler

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

I learned to carve with the tutorial in this section.

I downloaded the scale carving patterns in this tutorial and glued them down to 1/16th inch basswood and started cutting.

I primarily carve with an X-Acto knife.

This carving intro is very helpful.  I highly recommend it.

My log is here:

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

It is always interesting and helpfull to see how collegues started with carving.

Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

• 1 year later...

It's impressive to see the precision of the thin window frames

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina