First post!! :) Tea Clipper research and it possible to build other Tea clipper from the Cutty Sark model???

Reddawn88

Hi guys! This is my first post and While I'd like to build my first wood ship to be of the Cutty Sark, I'd like to make the second thethermopylae. I know Mantura makes a thermopylae ship but it on the smaller side for me, which is odd cause I love building 1/700 scale ships. But I was thinking of going big with the 1/78 scale Cutty and then get another for my thermopylae. Can this be done? What sites and books for research do you guys recommend? Also could the 1/78 Cutty sark be used to make any other famous clippers? Ariel? Teaping? Sir Lancalot? Firey Cross? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

YES!!!!    I have the Sergal Thermopylae.......and that's exactly what I intend to do!    cripes.......with some modification,  you could do any clipper ship,  as long as the hull conforms to that type of hull construction.   the White cloud........the Danmark.......here  :)

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~dbasha1/clipper.html

as mentioned,  you may need to modify the hull here and there........but this is a design,  second only to the schooner,  which has many more   the Sergal kit is 1:124 scale,  but if there isn't a kit put out there in a larger scale,  the instruction sheets have diagrams that are 1:1 to the model.  you can take these diagrams and have them blown up at any copy shop.   some folks even use computer programs to do it.......but if you want everything on one sheet,  the copy shop might be best.

I've never heard of one in 1:78 scale........just the Revell kit at 1:96.   I'd love to do one at such a large scale {I've done two Revell Cuttys already}......but larger,  I think the admiral would have something to say about it  :D  :D  :D.   there is a log on the Great republic......and other Cutty Sark builds.  you might have to do some digging......but they are here.   enjoy.........and I hope to see a log soon

oh........if you so get the Sergal kit,  there is a photo etch upgrade you can get,  and I've also been ordering double blocks and stuff.........they've missed a few things with the rigging  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi guys! This is my first post and While I'd like to build my first wood ship to be of the Cutty Sark, I'd like to make the second thethermopylae. I know Mantura makes a thermopylae ship but it on the smaller side for me, which is odd cause I love building 1/700 scale ships. But I was thinking of going big with the 1/78 scale Cutty and then get another for my thermopylae. Can this be done? What sites and books for research do you guys recommend? Also could the 1/78 Cutty sark be used to make any other famous clippers? Ariel? Teaping? Sir Lancalot? Firey Cross? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome aboard!  You may find some useful information in these books:

Lubbock, B. 1975. The Colonial Clippers. Brown, Son & Ferguson.

———. 1984. The China Clippers. The Century Seafarers. London: Century Publ.

MacGregor, D.R. 1993. British & American Clippers: A Comparison of Their Design, Construction and Performance in the 1850s. Annapolis, Md: Naval Institute Press.

MacGregor, D.R., and G. Hunt. 1984. The Tea Clippers: Their History and Development 1833 - 1875. 2. ed.,  and expanded. London: Conway Maritime Press [u.a.].

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thank you guys!! I order one book so far, Clipper Ships and the Golden Age of Sail by Sam Jefferson. But know I know what books to really look for. This is the 1:78 Cutty Sark that I am looking at for a base kit. http://victoryshipmodels.com/ship-model-cutty-sark-wooden-static-kit-sergal-fast-clipper-greenwich.html. Is there one better?? What about the Artesania Latina ship model kits?? And lastly you guys mention photo-etch and upgrades...are the upgrades more readily available for the smaller scale ships?? If that's the case I may go that route as there's a HUGE price difference.. But price aside.. If there is multiple PE sets and upgrades along with more details and accuratcies in the larger kits then I'll go that route.

• 5 months later...