Chuck's carving attempts - #11 blades and micro chisels

So beautiful, nearly unbeleaveable Chuck,   :)

how do you mount / glue the lasered rough carving to the board for doing the fine carving and sanding work on it ?, so that it is removeable afterwards without breaking the fragile artwork to pieces ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just learning about you all, I am still struggling with the terms.

I do understand your tug of war here, and can see it, even with sanding cord the size of dental floss, it would seem to add more obstacles, not for the eight arm man.

There is a saw that is used for jewelry making, a lot smaller than a coping saw, but same basic thing, if you were to look into the blades, you should find round blades for this saw, for everything from cleaning, shaping and polishing.

From what I see here you are in great shape. Just keep charting the waters.

Maybe...but as you can see by the photos it really isnt needed...they cleaned up real nice and look even better in person...

Very nice little carvings Chuck. I have some pointed diamond burrs for my Dremel that could be used without the Dremel for fine sanding. It would be easy to make handles for them for manual useor just chuck them up in a pin vise. I can't remember where I got them. Will try to post picks later today. I was also wondering if once you got your basic shape carved if it would be beneficial to harden the wood with ACC.  Also heaven forbid the forms could be carved in styrene if you intended to paint them.

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

• 1 month later...

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 4:44 PM, Landrotten Highlander said:

might work if you use a plastic brush.  The steel or copper brushes would imho be prone to create undesirable lines.

Don't forget the cloth polishing brushes.  I've found that a CLEAN brush lightly applied at medium speed smoothies rough spots sometimes. 

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

• 2 months later...

Chuck. Just read your Carving build log. Is the carving group still active. If so how is one able to get the carving banks you mentioned? I went to the NRG store but couldn't locate them. 

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Yes it is still ongoing and yes the carving blanks are still available here.  I encourage all members to join this group and give it a try.

https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/royal-barge-kit.php#!/Extra-Boxwood-Carving-Blanks-One-full-set-of-the-seven-decorations-needed/p/98399892/category=25581355

It would be great to have many members revive and join this group....its a short project and a great way to learn this important skill.

Please do also click on the other tabs above in this group area where the "tutorials"  and "how to join the group"  info are posted.

Chuck

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2016 at 2:29 PM, Chuck said:

Lets get even closer.....This is what I see under magnification while carving.....you are so close to the details while carving it becomes hard not to obsess about the surface texture and I hope you can see the areas I would like to smooth out a bit but I am afraid to keep slicing and carving and wonder if there is another method.  I think files would be too large and tough to use as I cant see getting any back and forth motion while its still mounted.   Its fragile so attempting it after removal would most certainly break it...but who knows...it could just be my inexperience and that is how it should be done.

carvingdetail.jpg

Maybe I have to just get better with teh initial carving and that will just come with practice.

Chuck

XJust a thought. Have you tried a Dremel with an extremely fine abrasive polishing wheel?  Very light touch required.

On 10/23/2016 at 2:58 PM, Chuck said:

I am just using a #11 blade right out of the package.  But I do know folks who make their own micro chisels in different shapes.  That is above and beyond my abilities and time allotment for these so I am going to stick with whatever I can buy already made.

Like Keith said...I think its just my technique and stroke and its something that will get better with learned experience.   It would always be nice to find a trick or product that does the job....a silver bullet so-to-speak........ but I think its just a matter of learning the correct touch and the correct amount of pressure and angles while slicing.  

I dont want to over analyze my attempt because then you end up never finishing.  So rather than fall prey to "analysis Paralysis" I am just going to keep going and apply a finish.  There is always the next project and I will just find comfort that I will hopefully get better with more practice.  I find myself slipping into the paralysis and must fight that....its a horrible thing.

Gunmakers  use micro chisel sets for carving relief mouldindings on gun stocks. Maybe those sets could help.

• 1 year later...