Shop Made Dremel Drill Press- Not my idea

My thanks to whoever posted a photo on their building log showing how they attached their Dremel rotary tool to their drill press on the quill. I tried to find you to give you the credit but couldn't remember who's log I had seen it in. 

Having read part of EDT's Young America log  I learned of his great technique for for gluing up his frames accurately. which I wanted to copy. The only thing standing in my way was having an accurate way to drill with very small diameter bits. This problem was eloquently solved by copying the idea of attaching my Dremel to my drill press. I thought this would be a good post to have in the 'tools' section as I'm sure many others could benefit from it as I did.

My only other easy option was to buy a Dremel drill press, but reviews on it haven't been particularly positive and from what I've read it is not very accurate, so this solution saved me a lot of grief and expense. Testing shows my set-up to be very accurate and there is no need to take off the Dremel bracket when it's not in use and it's simple to take out the Dremel when I want to use it by hand.

post-25913-0-38146900-1477685407_thumb.jpg

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

Thanks Bob. Technically you are correct, but the ply is working very well as I started with a very tight fit and there is very little tightening involved to get a good solid grip on both the quill and the Dremel, and yes, the depth stop can be used in the normal way. Luckily the quill on my DP  is proud about 3/4" when at the 'zero' position,  but even so I could still use it if it weren't.  :)

Mike,

Mike,

I think that came from here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/5783-a-review-of-a-mini-mill-from-little-machine-shop/   Jay did a topic on tricks and tips that might also help:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11214-how-to-make-best-use-of-your-milling-machine-tips-and-techniques/

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

jud: Yes it does look a bit canted in the photo, but it drills a perfectly vertical hole. I checked it by drilling holes and cutting them in half to checked it with my very accurate square  and they were right on. I'm a tool nut, but I'm trying to avoid buying more power tools. My shop is already crammed full of regular woodworking machinery.

MTaylor: Not sure what you mean about the mill Mark. 

HMS Bellisle: Good point.  I do have a small bit chuck for my DP, but the DP has a slight bit of runout. Not a problem with my normal woodworking, but not precise enough for modeling.

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up Carl. I didn't notice the 2nd link in Mark's comments, but now I've seen it. It wasn't Jay's that I saw earlier. The one  I saw was mounted to a drill press similar to mine. 

Mike,

Let me put it this way Mike: He was the first to come with the setup

It's neither link from Mark, and I can't find it, but I do remember. It was a big drillpress

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I think Jay provided a lot of inspiration.  I do recall what Carl mentioned about the drillpress....  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It is usually hard to find the originator of a shop made fixture or jig of any kind in woodworking. I have 'created' many things including jigs and fixtures in my shop only to find out later that they had already been invented, probably many times over. For example woodworkers have been attaching their routers to drill presses for a long long time and it's only logical to think about doing that with a Dremel, although many of us, like myself, might not think about it. That said I do think it is proper to give credit to the one who inspires you, even if he isn't the originator. I also think it is great to take the time to pass on these good ideas for everyone's benefit.

Mike,

The plywood mount is a clamping device. See the screw heads exposed in the end view? That birch plywood is very good material for jigs. Its much more dense than construction grade ply and it has no voids. Weighs twice as much or more than the same thickness of const. grade. This seems to be a pretty good idea. I need to make a similar device to hold one of the small slow turning screwdrivers to use for drilling styrene as a Dremel is so fast that it melts the plastic at high speeds and has a lack of torque at slow speeds.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Thanks.  I missed the screws completely.  So basically the dremel fits in a hole that is clamped via screw pressure.  I assume that squareness checks are required at each use or at least after removal and replacement.

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King

John: It won't have to be rechecked for square so long as the mounting bracket stays attached after removal of the Dremel. I  just need to eye the end of the bracket mounted to the DP to make sure it hasn't change position on the DP quill. The bracket doesn't interfere in any way with regular drilling operations. The only problem I've had so far is that I sometimes turn the DP on or off while stupidly expecting the Dremel to go on or off !  

Mike,