Two Edwardian type launches by Cap'n'Bob - small - 1:48 - Finished

Thank you all for your comments and “likes”.  Just a couple of comments.   

Nils being built about the turn of the century, $0.20 an hour for labor was high wages.

Michael I can hardly wait to see what’s next myself.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi All,

Just a little bit more.  There's still a lot of clean-up and the parts are just set in place.  Also I need to do the roof and, oh yes, I still need to put a finish on all that bare wood.  But here's the pictures for now.

Bob

post-513-0-44493200-1481406754_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-97194500-1481406770_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

The cabin framework and paneling looks great. Very precise work.

Russ

Russ and John, thank you very much for your encouraging words.  Both of you build models that inspire me to do better.

Lawrence, Thank you for your good words.  As for the wood 99% of the time I work in bass wood, which is what all the white wood is. (Yellowish color is due to lighting.)  I do not know woods.  The dark wood is that thin mahogany looking wood that comes in kits for second planking.  A couple of months ago, at an estate sale of a ship modeler, I bought up all of his wood stock.  The lighter brown wood was in that buy, I have no idea what it is. 

Bob

very nice work Bob !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils,  She's been fun to build.

Thanks druxey.  It's a lot simpler than your hospital barge.

Bob

I work with the same wood Bob.......whatever I can get.   I have some of the dark mahogany from past kits.  I also have annegre wood,  the reddish wood I do decking with......from past kits and I order it from Billing.cabin structure looks great.....seating set up nicely!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

HI all,

I decided to put a set of clerestory (is that what they are called on a boat?) windows on top of the saloon.  44 little pieces of wood later . . .  and here’s what it looks like.

Bob

post-513-0-48313600-1481768830_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-77589500-1481768844_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-75495300-1481768870_thumb.jpg

Hello Bob,

I,m not sure what they are called either - but they look sharp. I really like the new wood work additions at each corner of the cabin. Coming along beautifully.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

WoW Bob...........I ought to send you a piece of that tinted window plastic I found in the field.  I have a fairly large sheet of it  ;)   it has a less than 35% tint,  so you'll still be able to see inside.  it's the same cello that I used in the windshield of the Tree boat.........what do ya think?  offers there my friend!

awesome set of windows BTW..........you must have enjoyed yourself making them  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks everyone.  I'm glad you agree that the elegance is beginning to show.  That's the way it should be.  It should make you say, "Wow, I wish I had the money to have a boat like that to play around with".

Bob

Very nice build Bob,

the build in general and the light in the cabin roof looks great...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Sweet. Bob.  The clerestory is a great addition.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Nils, Mark and Lawrence,  Things have pretty much come to a halt over the holidays.  Will be back at it in January.

Happy New Year to all.

Bob

....and to you and yours Bob!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The holidays are over, and finally it's time to get back to modeling.  As if that was all there is to do.  Before the holidays I did some work on boat number two, but never got around taking and posting pictures, so now it's catch up time.  Here is what I did.  Now to do more.

Bob

post-513-0-84591300-1483566639_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-25514700-1483566650_thumb.jpg

Nice work Bob. I too need to get back to building now the festivities are over.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Bob,

very nice work, the first thought I had when looking at the two pics of the planked hull was...... he`s planing to do the real thing, hopefully he has a weather protected and heated shed to set up everything...

Great work  :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you all for your kind words and likes.  Gary, I'm ashamed, I tell others to put something in the picture for scale and then I forget to do it.  The hull is 9.12" (231.6mm).  Nils, wouldn't that be nice, to have a boat shed to build full size and of course a body of water to put it in. 

Bob

Great Galloping Ghosts..........a two-fer!   :)    great job on the second hull Bob!  now you gotta get 'er to the point,  where you are with the other one.  won't be tough for you,  I'm sure  ;)   

I wuz say'en that to the admiral jus' the other day........I sez...."ya know honey,  {I calls her that when she likes me},  there jus' ain't enouf dual builds kick'in 'round here.........now,  who else can we pull inta the vortex?"  :D  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ya, Popeye, I've always been a one boat man.  But like I said up front, as I was building the hull for the launch I saw the 1:200 Pequot hull from earlier and realized it was almost the same as what I was building, so I thought why not build two.  I drought I will go this way again.  You are the master of the multi build.  I bow to you. 

Thanks Patrick.  The plan, which may change without notice, is the cabin will not have the windows on top and the roof will extend forward to give shade to the open seating.

Bob