tlevine Carving Attempt with Hand Tools

As I have never done any carving, I have decided to join this Group.  I am using a combination of a #11 scalpel blade and a 1.5 mm micro-chisel.  

My first step was to glue the blank onto a piece of scrap wood with yellow Elmer's.  I clamped it in place for an hour before getting to work and then scraped off most of the laser char.  As recommemded, my first task was to make the stop cuts.  The key here is to only take off a tiny piece until one is happy with the effect.  In addition to the red lines shown in Chuck's sketch, I added stop cuts on various spots of the crown, looking at what Chuck did for guidance.  Finally, I have started to smooth down the corners.  The last picture was taken to better illustrate the depth of the cuts.

Next, I will make up some 400 grit sanding sticks to improve the surface finish.

post-262-0-87838600-1478038832_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-36571500-1478038851_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-02830500-1478038866_thumb.jpg

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

No fair....for you its just like cutting out a gall bladder.   You must do that that ten times a week. :P

But seriously,  that looks very good  I hope you had fun with it.  I am curious how folks will think about the removal process.   Dunk it in some alcohol and give it a go.

Chuck, I have not removed a gall bladder since 1982!  Talk to me about tonsils or sinuses...   :D

Once I burnish it (hopefully Thursday) I'll give it a good soak.  I don't anticipate any problems.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

I cleaned up the carving with some 400 grit wet-dry sandpaper and removed the carving from the blank by soaking in isopropanol for an hour.  As you can see, I lost the tip of the bottom of the "R".

post-262-0-66616200-1478192720_thumb.jpg

Next, I gold leafed it and applied a satin sealer.  I'll try the other carving in a few weeks.  

post-262-0-71663600-1478192735_thumb.jpg

Toni

Nice carving, the gold leaf is impressive very cool touch

• 1 month later...