Scottacus Triton - (repost by mod)

Thanks Dirk, Jim, Lee and Uwe for the positive comments 8) .

I thought you might like the little t-square Lee.

Uwe, the ponce wheel was run on the front of the plates, like you thought, because of the backing tape. So, instead of nail heads protruding from the metal, they are divots from the front side. You are also right about the cross section being a great learning experience. I've learned an awful lot from this build and highly recommend it to anyone interested in getting a start in scratch building.

The hull and model are complete but I am waiting for the name plate to be made before shooting the final wrap up photos. The coppering turned out pretty well but there are some minor irregularities in the tape that came from imperfections in the tape itself. That is why I think that it would be best to get tape that has not been tightly coiled on itself in the packaging process. I believe that this tape is meant for stained glass work and people working in this medium probably don't care if there are minor creases or other irregularities in the material. I left the tape bright and covered it with clear gloscote lacquer after a careful cleaning with alcohol to remove any finger print residue.

Scott

Here are a couple of photos of the coppering while I wait for the name plate to arrive. The first was shot with flash and shows the surface details.

post-387-0-57401100-1364567813_thumb.jpg

The second was shot without flash to better show the color tones.

post-387-0-69923300-1364567817_thumb.jpg

The book that I have says that coppering starts aft and above so the nail heads should be on the top edge of the tape (plate below overlaps the plate above) and the rear of each plate (fore overlaps aft). The fifteen feet of tape that I got from MS covered the hull with the innermost 2 feet thrown away and three or four pitched tape lengths tossed also.

Scott

Here are the final photos of the build. I would like to thank the draftsmen and organizers of this online build for all of your efforts to make this cross section a reality. I'd also like to thank all of you who wrote encouraging comments along the way It's been a lot of fun to build her and I've learned quite a bit that I can incorporate into future projects.

post-387-0-43189400-1364567879_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-39384000-1364567889_thumb.jpg

Hi Scott,

Good to see you adding your cross section build back in. It is a very nice build. plus you made really nice guitars and ukulele's also....take care

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Thanks for reposting this Paddy, the Triton post lives again!  

I took this model to the Midwest Model Ship competition a few years ago and it took a Gold.  I don't check this forum like I used to when I was a moderator here so if anyone has any specific questions, the best thing to do is to PM me here and I'll do my best to get back to you.

Scott