I have just finished reading 

Modelling Sailing Men-Of-War, by Philip Reed, An illustrated Step by Step Manual

A fantastic resource wonderful pictures all 384 plus of them 

I can not tell you the price as its a hand me down But first published in 2000 by Chatham publishing and in the USA by the Naval Institute press in Annapolis so hope fully there are plenty of copies to be had.

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

• 2 weeks later...

His books are excellent.  I would highly recommend his more recent book, where he displays some more refined techniques, and where the pictures are in very high quality color:

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Miniature-Navy-Board-Model/dp/1848321864/ref=la_B001JP2ALM_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1479145996&sr=1-3

I have to say, I always thought that I would jump to 1:48 scale or bigger on my future scratch builds.  After reading his books and seeing his work, I'm rethinking that.  It's astounding the level of detail that he is able to create at the 1:200 scale or thereabouts, at less cost for materials, and less space in the workshop and home.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)