Triton 1/48 by The Learner

Looking forward to the interior work as well! Your model is looking very nice. I've been working out the hawse frames, slow go for me. A week so far just on one side, lol. In response to your post in Daniel's log about the glue I use for my patterns, if you try it out, be careful at the store and don't get the one that's in the blue bottle, that's their permanent formula. I figured that out the hard way after I ran out of what my wife gave me. Look for the "re-positionable" formula.

I think I will stick to my glue stick or rubber cement. I scrape the patterns off when I get them close to shape and it seems to work ok.

I am working on putting the gunport framiing in but all the frames are not in the proper places so there will be some padding up of the inside of the port to bring them near the correct size. The next time I will use the jig to do the framing

will post some pictures next time

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Hello Guy!

I was thinking that on my next project (who knows when...) I won´t use a jig... It is a pain on the neck.

With the wales and the planking those gaps will be cover. Do not worry about it. I do know it is not the best way to build the model but...

She is looking pretty well. Keep going. :dancetl6:

All the best.

Guy, it appears I dropped the ball on your question of fillers between floor frames. I believe this was common practice to prevent water from stagnating between frames where it could not be reached by the chain pumps. I installedit up to the floor heads on Naiad. These fillers were driven in tightly and perhaps aided in resisting compressive hogging stresses inhe lower hull. I did not find a definitive original source for this. I would install them, butthe choice is always yours.

Sorry for the delay with this.

Ed

Thanks Daniel!

Ed,

I understand why and I also wish the I had started using the fillers from the start as spacing of the frames on the keel would have been more accurate. It would be difficult now to start adding the fillers because of the many diffrent thicknesses. 

I will have to think long and hard on adding the fillers now.

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

I agree, Guy, that the time to do this is during frame erection when they can be used as spacers.  Doing it now would be a major job and I doubt that I would do it at this stage.

Ed

Thanks Ed!

Thats how we learn! actually this build has been nothing but a learning experience for me, up to this point I have only built POB or Harold Hahn method and never have I constructed any decks below the main deck. watch out! I am catching up with you.

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

I finally broke down and put in 2 mounting bolts (Like EdT's) through the keel....2? I hope that is enough, I can now tie down my Keelson and start constructing the lower decks.

One of my Unimat lathe belts broke and I have no replacements and will have to order some, so I had to do the tie down bolts the old fashion way using my drill  and a file. I did have a 4-40 die also I am not going to bury the nut in the keel but just let it set on top of it, the keel just seems too fragile.

pictures to follow

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Harvey,

Perhaps 4x4mm but I just pulled out what I had avaliable in my junk box as they are only temporary to hold the frames in place and will be removed once I have all the framing  completed inside the hull.

I am finishing up the gun ports and still have some fairing to do inside before I start on the internal framing

Edt I wished I had installed the fillers I notice that I now have a little hogging perhaps after I installed the Keelson

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Yeah, I noticed that my Triton even with all of the things installed is still able to twist like a Twizzler candy strip in all directions. Gotta keep an eye on that as you go along. You may be able to force that out with the planking when the time comes.

Your model does look good though. Keep up the progress! Meanwhile back at my project I am still sanding the outer part of the hull....

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rich!

Richard, after I added the temporary rybands I was amazed on how rigid the entire structure became and I am sure it will become more rigid as I add the inside decking structure and I think I will be able to correct the (hogging) rising of the keel as its only in the stern fourth of the keel

Still working on the gun ports and cleaning up the inside but I am making progress

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 2 weeks later...

Some updated pictures! still working on the gun ports and fairing the inside. The framing is starting to look a bit cleaner. This vessel has a very sharp entry as you can see by the picture.

post-1091-0-74116700-1406041695_thumb.jpg

The starbord side gun ports are pretty much cleaned up and have started on the portside.

post-1091-0-41793500-1406041617_thumb.jpg

Yes some of the frames are not square!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Hello Guy!

Saw your post yesterday...

Yes some of the frames are not square!

Can you slightly "move" some of them with wedges or something? The disaligment it´s pretty tiny... Maybe those temporary ribbans have tricked the frames a little bit out.

She´s looking more and more rich every single post you add. Keep going!

Daniel.

Daniel,    yes as I fit the gunports I am making some adjustments but there will still be some that are not square.

Pete, Thanks for the encouragement I have not decided yet how much planking I will do! most likely I will pick the worst side doing the most planking on that side. I was thinking about removing some of the filling frames to open the inside up for viewing. 

I just have for remember I am learning while doing!

post-1091-0-78093900-1406132240_thumb.jpg

I can't wait until I start the decks inside!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I will deliver my project tomorrow and hopefully I can return to the Triton

Before

post-1091-0-79567700-1417632679_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-95121800-1417632780_thumb.jpg

After

post-1091-0-83521100-1417632848_thumb.jpg

post-1091-0-18523500-1417632899_thumb.jpg

A good cleaning, mast repair and relocation, new set of sail and rigging for this Art model!!

Looks pretty good! No?

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 5 months later...

Well Christmas has came an went but I am still clearing other stuff up an trying to finish up a 1812 gun boat will post some pictures on a diffrent post

Patients all :10_1_10:

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Don't hurry, model builders have normally a lot of patience.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 2 months later...

I am back and ready to stat working ion the Triton again. am looking foward to progressing towards copletion. There are a few builds I also need to get back to that I have not been watching in the last 6 months that are fantastic builds starting with EdT build.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 2 months later...

Keep up the good work. Hope to see more build logs.

Current build Mare Nostrum

W. Churchill

Starting Projects Triton full build and creating a build log.

Triton sectional build with build log.

Future builds Cutty Sark, Sea Witch, Virginia pilot boat 1805, Sultana Colonial Schooner 1767.

• 1 year later...

Wow How time flies!  Yes I have been working on the Triton but have aloso been working on other ship projects as I have 5 hulls in dry dock and perhaps a few other non ship related projects. The mother-in-law just passed away last month and the wife and I have been working on her house getting ready to put on the market some time in January. I am also getting ready to do my first hull coppering so looking forward to that. I will post some pictures on that but not here. Perhaps I can find a thread for that on the site.

I also visited and  joined the Mystic Group this last summer on a trip to an international stamp show in New York I  look forward to returning to use the research facilities...I hear its fantastic!

Cheers

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 5 months later...

Well Christmas has came went I got very little accomplished! In February my wife told me its time I retired then proceeded to hand me a new honey-do list, looks like I will be working on it until July or august....  well so much for retirement guys!

P.S. she made me sell my truck and bought me a new car, I put in a good word for a Ford Edge and she agreed and promptly paid for it!

Edited by the learner
added ps

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA