Rigging instructions are the worst...and I have another question.

esion

Hey everyone,

I am back with another rigging question.

On this portion of the rigging you can see #546 shown as two lines coming off the end of the fore sail gaff going down to stop #547, anchored through #549 and wrapping around #48a.

So here is my question: Are there really two lines?  Are they suggesting that I would have a line connecting to #48 on each side?  

The quantities on the instructions don't indicate that I would use two stops, etc.  And all the pictures in the instructions only show one side, so I can't tell if it is on both sides.

I guess I just don't know how this really worked on the ship.  Is this something that they removed from 48 and swung from side to side?  Or did they keep tension on both sides and adjust according to the wind?

Thanks for the help!

post-8294-0-71853600-1478736264_thumb.jpg

The line in question is called a vang. It's purpose is to prevent the gaff from sagging to leeward causing the sail to twist, an inefficient shape. Vangs were rigged in pairs. The windward one would be set up to control the gaff and the leeward one slacked off. When the sail was not set, by setting up both vangs the gaff could be left "standing," not lowered. The sail could be then brailed up to the gaff and mast.

Yes, you need to rig two gangs, port and starboard.

Roger Pellett

Edited by Roger Pellett

This is a very common happening in rigging instructions. When two ropes are the same on both sides, they usually just draw one and a portion or a hint of the other to make drawings more clear or less cluttered. 

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Sometimes the letter "D" is used to represent that the line is double.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 2 weeks later...