3D Cannon and Carriage - Learning TurboCAD - by Banyan

Hi folks,

Well now that my Endeavour build is complete I have a little more time to do things and decided I would try to learn 3D (using TurboCAD).  I learn by doing so I decided to invest in a Tutorial produced by Don Cheke of Textual Creations.  Don has created a TC 3D tutorial for an antique cannon that while not exactly true to design is very close, so I thought this would be a good way of developing the skills I will need to design and create the cannon and carriage for HMCSS Victoria.

The following show the carriage in a near complete state (still have to do the quoin and the trucks) and then onto the cannon itself.  These are just basic renders with no materials or the like applied yet.

post-385-0-08749600-1479807166_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-05932000-1479807162_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-63846500-1479807168_thumb.jpg

It's been fun but I have soooooooo much to learn yet - just getting my head around the work planes is daunting :(

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat,

So the aim is to produce 3D parts from a 3D printer. ?

Will be interested what you come up with and think on the time and costs down the track.

When I/we think of all the cost to buy the many parts, it comes into play, does one make our own to suite. ?

I had thought, after my Endeavour build, if I decided to build another ship model, 3D printer production of parts would be an interesting way to go.

Their would be numerous items one could produce, although care that they do not look out of place.

PS. I used CAD (Autocad) extensively as a design draftsman back in the 80's and 90's.

Brings back lots of memories.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

I had a thread "Going From A 2D Drawing To A 3D Printed Part Tutorial" that focuses on SketchUp, but does have much info on designing parts for 3D printing. It might help you.

Thanks for all who looked and their likes and comments.

Dave, one of the ideas is to produce at least some of the parts by 3D printing.  I am learning 3D so that I can also produce templates for deck furniture and ship fittings; that way, I can trial them in  3D CAD to see if it will go together as planned. :)

Ron, I'll take a look at that but a bit early for me just yet.  The key thing I intend to use this for, is to try and build a representative CAD drawing of a pivot gun c1855.  I have found no definitive plan or drawing just yet, so I will try and cobble what I can together from contemporary paintings, drawings and similar gun carriages etc.

cheers

Pat 

Edited by BANYAN

Well, a bit more practice and some progress with my TurboCAD 3D project.  Here are a few basic renders of the progress I have made to date.  Hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll be able to show a couple of advanced renders.  Things will slow for the next few days as my younger boy is getting married this Saturday and I hope to send him on his honeymoon with a 'hangover' :) - I know, I'll be in trouble with the daughter-in-law :)

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-45463900-1480327182.jpg   post-385-0-30393200-1480327185.jpg   post-385-0-73432900-1480327187.jpg

You can change the color of the render, by either:

1. Actually change the color of the lines in an object, such as the cannon.

2. Change the material the object is "made" from, such as changing the cannon to Brass, and the carriage to Wood.

Both are simple and quick.

Nice work, Pat.  And have fun getting the hangover.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for looking in Doc, Ron, Carl and Mark, and for the many likes.

Ron, I will have a poke around the menus to see what I can do with materials.  I am doing this following a Tutorial so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.  I am only a couple of hours (hangovers allowing) to starting that process but it can't do much harm 'exploring" - I hope :)

cheers

Pat

Hi folks, another update - Ron talked me into it :)

I played around with some materials and the result is shown below - still a few minor errors to correct - but largely there.  

post-385-0-83975600-1480481426_thumb.jpg

Next job - work out how to apply all of this to reflect the cannon and carriage design for the HMCSS Victoria.  That part will not be so easy :)

Mark - don't say I don't do as I am told - off to prepare for the hangover ;)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Following instructions in a tutorial is one thing Dave; understanding the principles another :)  Still, I have learned a lot from the exercise.

cheers

Pat

Hi Dave, I am sure you'll get the hang of it if you are used to AutoCAD.  There are a few 'quirks' with the program I am still trying to get to grips with but I am coming from a "know nothing' background; your experience will help a lot.  My biggest errors were not using 'blocks' so I have far too many entities, and using the wrong line tools ending up in far too many nodes.

cheers

Pat

Dave.... Beautiful rendering.  
Been using AutoCad for years,  This looks like more fun than scratch building with wood.  
However.... Too much on my plate right now to take up a new toy.

Cheers 

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com