HMS Triton 1:32 Cross Section By dallen0121 (Dupree)

I decided that I would make this my initial build. This build will introduce me to most aspects of model building. I will be using Walnut as my primary lumber as a large walnut tree was blown over on my property last summer and it seems to resaw nicely. I also have a nice supply of Maple and Swiss Pear.  I am considering upscaling to 1:32 and is likely. I have been like a sponge absorbing everything I can on this forum and have built quite a resource library. Looking forward to the hands on now. I handle critiques well, so all are welcome.

Dupreepost-26325-0-80313400-1480363198_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dupree Allen

Dupree

"A slow steady hand conquers a fast shaky mind" - me

HMS Triton 1:32 Cross Section

Thank you for access to HMS Triton plans. I will be digesting them and begin the mill works. I have decided to upscale to 1:32 and will make appropriate corrections to my build log.

Dupree

Edited by Dupree Allen

Dupree

Welcome the Triton shipyard and a lot of fun with the build

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you for the encouraging replies. Actually I did so much research on this project with a 1:48 mindset that I'm having a little trouble thinking in "1:32". The mill work has started, although I just received my Mini Mill from LMS and it is really drawing my attention right now. Some problems are nice to have........

Dupree

Welcome aboard, Dupree!

This is a great project that really pushes your skill and knowledge. The people here are a fantastic resource, super encouraging and a good shoulder to cry on when the time comes! Looking forward to watching your build. (And, I think you just kick-started me to get back on track with mine!).

Regards,

Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Thank You Gabe,

You are absolutely right about the people and the resources on this site. I opened your build log and was impressed with your scale and progress. If I was able to have even a small part in rejuivinating your build, that pleases me very much. I have "followed" your log and looking forward to instruction and enjoyment.

Dupree 

Dupree

Update.... Milled Keel assembly in 1:32 scale. Have included a photo to show the contrast in dimensions. I'm currently preparing the frames for layout and cutting. Quite an experience for me and this is only a cross section.

Dupree

post-26325-0-74952300-1481142039_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dupree Allen

Dupree

• 3 weeks later...

I am amaized at the research and prepotory work involved in scratch building. I have just now completed my full set of 1:32 prints for this build. They are printed out on 13 X 19 paper (perfect for this scale) using a Canon IX6820 printer. Since printing a sacrificial set of plans I have cut out the paper and in process of attaching them to wood stock in preparation to cutting them out. Hopefully actual shipbuilding can start this coming week.

Dupree

post-26325-0-05874400-1482521582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dupree Allen

Dupree

Just now received Ed Tostis' book. Looks like the book I'm currently reading about HMS Valkyrie will have to go on hold for a few nights.

Dupree

post-26325-0-26308000-1482521948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dupree Allen

Dupree

Dupree,

If you haven't yet, check each plan separately for proper scaling and printing size.  Use your ruler (and scaling tables) and the scale on the plans.  Don't ask how I know this.. but I will say, it was painful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very interesting, Dupree. My brother-in-law is going to be carrying over Ed Tosti's two Naiad books for me early in January. Great minds!

Tony