Corel Venetian Galleon Ship (Galeone Veneto) - kit recommendation

_SalD_

I was considering purchasing this kit from Corel and was wondering if anyone has built this kit or had experience with Corel kits in general.  I have searched this site but could not find any build logs on this specific kit.  Thanks.

post-11922-0-81742100-1481656329.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the process of building this kit now. I have completed the hull and attachments. This is a very difficult model because the wood is very hard to bend properly. Also the instructions are very poor and numerous details are incorrect. I have found that the material furnished is insufficient and in some cases poor quality. This is unusual for Corel models I have built in the past. I do not recommend this model.

Also I have used extra wood I had on hand to cover the deck rather than draw lines with ink. 

Harmstronginga and cathead, thanks so much for your comments. I haven't purchased the kit yet and am seriously reconsidering it now

I'm not exactly sure how a kit can be more of a poor choice if it has bad, difficult wood and crappy instructions, short of pointy wood dowels leaping out of the box and repeatedly stabbing you in the face every time you sat down to work on it. So yeah, I'd say reconsideration is a good plan.

Are you just looking for something galleony or were you interested in that specific kit for some reason? If you're in mood for galleon and race-built is ok, I recently purchased the Victory Revenge and it's excellent.

I'm glad you had a good experience. To elaborate, mine has been poor-quality wood, vague and poorly-translated instructions, drawings that are not consistently to scale, illustrations that are grainy and poorly reproduced (such that you have a hard time following individual lines on rigging diagrams, for example), terrible metal castings, and cheap blocks. I would have done far better to buy just the plans and scratchbuild given how much work I've put into correcting the kit's flaws.

I'm not exactly sure how a kit can be more of a poor choice if it has bad, difficult wood and crappy instructions, short of pointy wood dowels leaping out of the box and repeatedly stabbing you in the face every time you sat down to work on it. So yeah, I'd say reconsideration is a good plan.

Are you just looking for something galleony or were you interested in that specific kit for some reason? If you're in mood for galleon and race-built is ok, I recently purchased the Victory Revenge and it's excellent.

vossiewulf,

That's quite the visualization... pointy wood dowels leaping out of the box and repeatedly stabbing you in the face  :blink:  :D

I had thought I was ready to try a scratch built model but I think I need to fine tune my skills a bit more before jumping onto that band wagon.   Also while building a case for my U.S.S. Syren and really taking some time to look at all the work I had done on her I sort of got bit by the rigging bug again and decided to build another sailing ship.  I'm basically looking for a masted sailing ship that's somewhat different than the one I just finished. I'll take a look at the Revenge. 

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

vossiewulf,

I'm basically looking for a masted sailing ship that's somewhat different than the one I just finished. I'll take a look at the Revenge. 

Complicated and fancy or easier than Syren? Revenge is big and complicated and hence expensive. If you're just looking for a warmup, I keep pointing people to the Amati Lady Nelson as I have it and the plans and instructions are good, and if you want to go fancy you can replace all of the (external) wood and masting with boxwood for another $100 courtesy of Crown Timber. Speaking of which I see he has packages for Syren too. If I was going to take the time to do a full-gonzo admiralty model with all framing and timbers and planking exactly like the original, I'd definitely invest the money in the best materials available, that cost is going to be minimal compared to the thousand hours of the build. I don't have any relation to them BTW.

The target I have for said gonzo scratchbuild (several years out) is to use the two-part Euryalus Seawatch series.

Edited by vossiewulf

Cathead,

Sorry to hear that. I found the kit I built years ago in a close-out bin in a now-defunct hobby shop. With the kit was a catalogue that proclaimed the company as having started in 1971 and it had the Wasa cross section listed. I'm thinking that, perhaps, sometime in the past, Corel may have been taken over by another and the product cheapened in pursuit of profit? Haven't been able to find anything to corroborate that theory, tho'.

• 3 weeks later...

I have built the Nina, Pinta and the Santa Maria and they are excellent models for a modeler with limited experience. Modelexpo has these models are fun to built. If ordered from Model Expo and you break something, these will replace the item at no cost, They are very good to  work with on their Model Shipways

• 1 year later...

I finally finished the Galeone Veneto by Corel. I made  changes to the kit. I used some decking from left over wood, purchased metal gun openings, decorated the bulkheads. The wood used on wood on frame ships is very thick and hard to bend. All in all it has turned out to be one of my favorite models. At the beginning I was ready to throw it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My father built the "Galeone Veneto" ship kit about 40 years ago and it's very impressive.  I now have it on display.   I recall he heated each of the individual boards to bend/shape them.   It took him many hours but it's a piece of art when done. Email addressed removed to prevent you getting spam.