Spoon from the Ocean Queen

Shotlocker

Greetings,

For years I was employed as the mine surveyor at a gold/silver mine in the mountains of west central Nevada, near

the site of a ghost town named Aurora, where, I was told, Marc Twain had worked briefly as a mill hand. One of my duties

was to locate claim posts in the area and it was on one of these little journeys that I found, lying on the surface of

the bone-dry earth, in an old camp site, this spoon. The mine had been started in the late 1850's so I figured that the spoon had to have been purloined by some fellow who may have had a berth on that particular clipper which, tragically, was lost at sea in the North Atlantic along with another clipper, the Driver, in February, 1856. I feel very fortunate to have found the relic and just wanted to share the story with everyone.

Fair winds,

Gary

post-9866-0-91437300-1482003837_thumb.jpg

post-9866-0-94616200-1482005018_thumb.jpg

What a find! Maybe because it was lying out on the surface was because someone picked it up and thought nothing of it. Just an old teaspoon they thought. Good worrk

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks! It very well could be that someone else had perhaps passed over that spoon. I also found many many trade beads, a mouth harp,

a small copper priming powder flask, arrowheads o'plenty, un-fired percussion caps, suspender clasps, coffee pots, canteens, tin dinner ware...

and the list goes on. The area was littered with artifacts, some of which I rescued from being mined into oblivion, most of the others I left in place.

'Twas a great place to be employed, surrounded by the Great Gold Rush history.