Show me your "Pinky" ... Glad Tidings or ?

RFP

As a newcomer, I have two distinct 'activities' going on.  The first is to get a workplace set up in our home, and the second is to select the model I want to build.

Usually, a pretty decisive guy, I find that in ship selection, I'm pretty much just dithering between a few possibilities.  Originally, I thought that the William C. Morgan was to be "the one," then The Kate Cory was suggested, and I really like that one too.  Then, I stumbled across several threads on Glad Tidings, and I think it's such a beautiful ship, with fabulous 'lines.'  

I think that I have found - and read through - all of the 'Pinky' threads, but can't help wondering if there might be other builds of Glad Tidings (or other 'Pinkys') that I might take a look at.

So, if you have a Pinky in your collection, and wouldn't mind posting a photo or two, I'd love to see it.

So, am I the only guy who has such indecision in selecting that next build?  I sure hope not!

All the best,

Rob

I built a pinky earlier this year using Glad Tidings as a base but modified the deck layout a good bit. I wanted more of a work boat than a yacht. You can see pictures of mine on my website - http://modelboatyard.com/pinky.html

I really enjoyed building the model. It's not an especially difficult build and is, I think, a good learning model. The planking isn't too difficult, the rigging is relatively simple, and there are lots of interesting details. It took me just shy of four months to build mine, so it's something you can complete in a reasonable amount of time. The scale is large, which helps too.

Cheers -

John

I built a pinky earlier this year using Glad Tidings as a base but modified the deck layout a good bit. I wanted more of a work boat than a yacht. You can see pictures of mine on my website - http://modelboatyard.com/pinky.html

I really enjoyed building the model. It's not an especially difficult build and is, I think, a good learning model. The planking isn't too difficult, the rigging is relatively simple, and there are lots of interesting details. It took me just shy of four months to build mine, so it's something you can complete in a reasonable amount of time. The scale is large, which helps too.

Cheers -

John

Good evening, John

Thank you so much for your reply... I really enjoyed looking at your beautiful 'pinky!'  Your craftsmanship and attention to detail are very evident in this build.  I love the colors you chose and I really like your own personal touches to the Glad Tidings.

Thanks again.

Rob

Rob,  Here is a model of a pinky that I built many years ago. It's dirty and needs to be rerigged. It was one of my very early scratch builds. I copied the plans out of the book: American Sailing Ships their plans and history by Charles Davis.

post-115-0-03388300-1482282691_thumb.jpg

post-115-0-53996600-1482282824_thumb.jpg

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Rob,

I have been working on this one for awhile.  It is still a work in process almost to the point to set the masts and rig her.  I agree the lines are beautiful on these vessels.  This is the Dove at 1/2" = 1'  The photos are not of the best quality.

Jerry

post-597-0-77705300-1482359366_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-19000600-1482359748_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-25047700-1482359831_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-94029900-1482359882_thumb.jpg