Dremel 200 - Any good for a basic ship build?

Hi. I am just starting out in shipbuilding, and like many others have the Amati 'Lady Nelson' cutter in mind. I don't have the kit yet, but am looking at what tools I might need, and in particular whether I can re-purpose those I have already.

I do have the Dremel 200, which is a basic 2-speed, corded tool. Would this be of any use? I wonder if the cord might be awkward for fine work. Perhaps I might be better with a simple non-powered hand drill?

post-27275-0-26366600-1482426914.jpg

And then there are the fittings. I guess some fine drill bits would be the main use for this tool for a simpler model like the LN? Other posts I have read talk about buying a chuck, or collets, etc. Bit over my head just now. Any advice would be welcome please, especially if it is simple  :)

Thanks,

Ray II

There will be uses for the Dremel but I never put a power tool near my hull or any finished parts of the ship. I only work on pieces off the model.

There will be uses for the Dremel but I never put a power tool near my hull or any finished parts of the ship. I only work on pieces off the model.

Thanks Rich. That sounds like really wise advice. So, get some kind of manual drill for work on the main model.

Your Dremel will get you there.  There are external speed controls (solid state) if you find it

burns your work.  To be prudent, you may wish to avoid buying another powered rotary tool

until you are far enough in that you know what you need.

Pin vise =  hand power- - there is a variety of them.  A basic General - 4 size collets - metal

swivel is a good first choice.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

The Dremel is useful but use it off model as Hipexec suggests. Dremel makes a kit that contains addition collets for smaller and larger drill bits/accessories. It's not too expensive. Pin vise is good as Jaager recommends. I have the variable speed Dremel myself.

I've been building wood ship models for decades, and if I were to only have one power tool it would be a dremel like the one you have. With that and a few hand tools you can build most kits on the market to a decent standard. I'd say start building and then buy as you observe a need for more tools.

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

Also open a build log here for whatever model you choose to build. You will be able to get plenty of helpful advice as you progress along with the model. Good luck.

Also open a build log here for whatever model you choose to build. You will be able to get plenty of helpful advice as you progress along with the model. Good luck.

Thanks Jack. I am very much counting on the build log to help me along. Happily, there are lots of previous and current build logs for Lady Nelson, so plenty of good advice and practice there too. Looking forward to 2017.

No way, this Dremel tool has no place in ship modeling, it's a piece of crap and completely worthless. So I'll take it off your hands, send it to me and I'll do my best to test it thoroughly for the next year or three to make sure it's worthy, before I send it back to you. Oh yeah, better send a bunch of those no good worthless attachments and bits with it just in case I can get it to half way perform like a decent rotary tool. :rolleyes: 

mike 

No way, this Dremel tool has no place in ship modeling, it's a piece of crap and completely worthless. So I'll take it off your hands, send it to me and I'll do my best to test it thoroughly for the next year or three to make sure it's worthy, before I send it back to you. Oh yeah, better send a bunch of those no good worthless attachments and bits with it just in case I can get it to half way perform like a decent rotary tool. :rolleyes:

mike 

So, that's a "Yes" then?   :D

• 3 weeks later...
I use this Dremel model and in my opinion it is very helpful. Ideal for small jobs...Wireless with 5-speed and its base is the charger.

post-4167-0-59061500-1483856796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Captain Poison

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

I own 3 or 4 dremels and I use the snot out of my cordless (with spare battery).  Lie any other tool, it has its place.  I agree with others that there are times when you DON'T want to use it because it can take too much wood off or offer too little control in making a hole, but I have also found I can now do much more detailed work with it than I could before.  It was the ONLY power tool I had for years...until I got a Byrnes saw.

I recommend getting the dremel 3 jaw chuck.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Dremels are VERY useful as others have said above.  I have 4 corded models, all ball bearing, all with a 3 jaw chuck and all variable speed.  (I also have a batter powered one that is useful for drilling small holes in tight spaces.)   I also own about 8 pin vises of various designs but seldom use these.  They are handy on occasion when the Dremel can not be used.   

I keep 2 at my main bench so I can leave often used bits in it, such as the drum sander or a drill bit and the other is for other items.  A third Dremel is used in my mini drill press, and the 4th is a back up or spare.   In addition, I have a Foredom which has a flex shaft, a strong motor, and a small Jacobs chuck.  This machine handles heavy carving and larger drill bits.  

You will soon find that model ships require hundreds and sometimes thousands of holes.

Do I need all of these?  Maybe not as I made several ships without them when I started out.  But they do allow me to improve quality and speed.  Perhaps I am like Tim Allen, more power.  Or just a tool junky.

Anyway, HSM said it best - start building and you will learn what you need.  And above all, have fun.                         Duff 

Ray,

You will be fine to start out with the Dremel 200.  But to follow up Jaager's comment you will need a speed control to vary the speed.  You will understand this after beginning to use it.  You can pick these up on E-Bay used.  When i bought my first model about 40 years ago I had no real sources for information other than some very elementary books and wondered why I had so much trouble with the Dremel.  Later I learned it was because I could not adjust the speed to match the job. You will find this speed control useful for other tools when you add another variable speed Dremel or Foredom to your tool collection.  You are on the right track, let the need drive the tool purchase at first.  I keep some of the useless junk I purchased in my early years around just to remind me to be careful about my future purchases.  

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

Generally I like working with out the dremel. I find when I do detail work I like a tool that is about the size of a pen or pencil and I can control the amount of pressure I use. I guess because I can feel the wood and it's resistance to my pressure. A dremel is a little bigger and much heavier thus making it a little awkward and the feedback of the motor makes it almost impossible to feel the wood. There are some clever jigs that have been created that employ the dremel for a miniature lathe to a router. There is nothing wrong with your dremel, it's always a nice tool to have in your shipyard.

Current project: Retired

www.howefamily.com