USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

Thanks Tom..... another great tip much appreciated for sure.

Great to see CapSteve back in the saddle.  Can't possibly have too much help at this point.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Just now beginning to browse for photo's to draw from.  Holy Molly!
I'm beginning to feel like a "pig in a huge mud puddle".

Photo's like this is music to my ears....
But that eagle is a loooooong way off at this point.

post-11777-0-23097700-1482949407_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Welcome aboard Geoff.  

Hello Dave. I will be following with interest. I love to see how other modelers solve similar problems.

And I certainly do love having another Connie builder looking over my shoulder to keep me out of deep troubled waters.

Sawdust Dave -

With all ......

.......... pic below.

Looks like I'm in for a real sawdust day. 

attachicon.gifbulkheads2.JPG

After all Dave, your name isn't no-sawdustdave!

Looking good my friend and it's good to show how it is done from the start to help any new members.

'I take my hat off to you' to take your time to show this side to help the less experienced and people like me who has only been around for a few years.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Bulkhead former's all cut out....

Finally finished cutting out all of the bulkhead former's and fit them into their slots on the keel former.  Can now begin marking and cutting in the rabbit before adding the keel and stern post.
Then, of course, comes all the squaring, and measuring, and aligning of each bulkhead.
Note, all of the top beams have been removed from fifteen bulkheads, allowing the possibility of installing a full gun deck.
I have not yet decided just how far I will take the gun deck.... still studying photo's.... looks like a lot of exciting possibilities.

post-11777-0-83617600-1483061661_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

G'day Dave

Looking good mate. I assume that you will check the diagonal measurements between each bulkhead for squareness before you attached the rabbits. Are you going to use a cradle of sorts to hold the bulkheads in place?

When I did my builds, I put temporary wedges to keep them square before adding the rabbits. I found that method a bit "if and miss", so next time I will make up a cradle like jig that will hold each bulkhead square.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Began the morning with my first measurement of the dry fittings of the bulkheads to the center keel.

Great news, and to my complete surprise..... laying a straight edge along the top of the bulkhead beams, every single one of them were perfect.  
I fully expected to have some highs and lows that would require some tweaking....right?
This is kinda scary to me mates.  I'm accustom to trouble....always prepared for a fight.

I think I can proceed to marking the bearding line and begin cutting the rabbit before attaching the keel and stern post.

Sawdust Dave -

You're not mucking around with this one are you ;)  That is significant progress in a very short time.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

You're not mucking around with this one are you ;)  That is significant progress in a very short time.

cheers

Pat

Been told I need to slow down Pat.   :piratetongueor4:

Sawdust Dave -

I managed to get the rabbits cut last night.  
I did take a little different course in the method I chose.  Instead of making the rabbit at the bottom of the main keel former assembly, I marked the tips of each bulkhead and re-cut the edge of that entire assembly flush with the marks.  

Then I simply shaped a slight bevel along the new cut.

Then I re-cut all five pieces of the keel assembly.....which no longer fit the modified shape of the keel former.....
Then I used a small router bit to cut the rabbit along the top edge of the new keel parts, including the stern post and beak.

Everything came together real nice in a dry fitting.

post-11777-0-69328600-1483193329.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

The Billet Head....

I spent a lot of time finding and studying close up photos of the beak .... particularly the billet head.  Most interesting was this old photo I found of the original billet head after being removed for restoration.

post-11777-0-55660900-1483193775_thumb.jpg

Since this is something that must be done off-ship, I decided I will need to do the carving before fitting the beak to the keel former. That represents a big problem with gluing up the entire assembly....right?!

Went to bed last night with this on my mind, realizing I would never be able to come anywhere close to creating that detail with the wood I used to create the bow stem....poplar is not great for carving small details.

The solution popped in me noggin at 4:30 am.... Up and to the ship yard!

Four hours later......

This is the beak as created from the plan pattern.... 

post-11777-0-79011700-1483194383_thumb.jpg

And here's the beginning of the poly vinyl billet head carving I began working on this morning.  Much to go yet, but I'm fairly pleased with the experiment at this stage. 

post-11777-0-37816000-1483194519_thumb.jpg

And the simple method that came to me at 4:30 am this morning.... inlay the carving onto the beak!

Used a small router to remove the material from the area where the inlay will be fitted.

post-11777-0-60351100-1483194705_thumb.jpg

Once finished and painted up with black and white details, I'm hoping it will turn out not too bad.

post-11777-0-71458300-1483194735_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Hey Dave

Happy New Year! What are you doing staying up to 4.30 in the morning???

Don't you need your beauty sleep? Having said that, your solution to the beakhead's carvings is ingenious.

Onwards and upwards!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks Patrick....

I should clear up.....in bed by 10:30-ish..... woke up to pee at 4:30 and couldn't go back to sleep with this problem going round and round in my hard head.

Might as well put a pot of coffee on and go to work.... right?

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks Patrick....

I should clear up.....in bed by 10:30-ish..... woke up to pee at 4:30 and couldn't go back to sleep with this problem going round and round in my hard head.

Might as well put a pot of coffee on and go to work.... right?

Can't argue with that one!!!! Edited by Omega1234

Hi Dave,

Lovely work as usual....hopefully still a little standing room at the back for me to follow along!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

I thought you were told to slow down Dave?  :)  Very nice work on that rabbit, very clean cut.  I can understand the 4:30 thing - I have got to the point that if I am not asleep within 30 mins of hitting the hay, I get up and write down everything stirring in my head; actually setting to work is another thing though.  The beakhead is coming on nicely.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice modification on the billet, Sawdust !!

(I knew it had to happen ... but my bookie had longer odds on you starting to carve already)

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hello Dave,

Great start with a beautify ship.  Glad you chose a large scale so you can add plenty of detail on her.

Gwen and I wish you and the family a very prosperous and healthy 2017.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks Pat, CapSteve, and Piet....and for a host of other old MSW friends hooked up on this little project.

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Happy New Year all!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Beak refinement....
The last posting was an experiment, but needed refinement in order to entirely work.  The idea to use a router to create and inlay proved to have issues in terms of allowing me to attach the bow stem to the assembly now, yet allowing me to work on the beak carvings off ship.

I worked it out by completely whacking off the beak and creating a tongue-and-groove beak that can be added after completing the carvings.

post-11777-0-88372000-1483292819.jpg

post-11777-0-40249300-1483292830.jpg

Problem solved!

Sawdust Dave -

Nice to see the build going well.. You know maybe someone can help w this. I live 10 minutes from Baltimore's Inner Harbor. The "Constellation" is just sitting there waiting for me to take a ton a great photos.(I have a great DSLR Camera) but if I attempt to upload the photos, I will have to reduce the res so low I'm not sure if it's possible or worth it? Any suggestions?

J. Mundie Jr.                        Current Build- Constitution MS 2040

Hi John....Man, would I love it to be so close to any ship I'm trying to build.

Great offer, but with all the great photo's out there already, I wouldn't begin to know what to ask for at this stage.

I do know I am planning a spring trip....after I get a little further along.

Maybe we can hook up somehow when I go up.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Keel former assemble done.....

Removed the assembled keel former from all the clamps first thing this morning.  Note the missing beak.

Looking closely, you can see that each of the bulkhead slots have a perfectly square track created with a 1/4" router bit.
The shallow track is routed to both sides of the former.... creating a very snug fit for each bulkhead and perfectly square to the former.

post-11777-0-08792000-1483363061_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-50450300-1483363088.jpg

Also removed the holding base from clamps I glued up yesterday.

I will probably add a two inch wide board to the bottom of the holder base in order to have a really stable holder as this model will eventually become quite large and heavy.

She's ready for some bulkheads.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Billet head carving....

Giving each bulkhead an hour under the clamps gives me time for some carving on the billet head.

Using one of the photos taken from the net, I have managed to rough out this relief carving for the starboard side.
Looks pretty rough for now.  I'll have to leave everything as a flat surface for now until after I eventually paint the entire piece black.
Note - I haven't worked on the oval area of the flag yet.

The pencil marks indicate the upper and lower rails which I will begin playing around with after carving the port side of the beak.
Eventually the knee with the howse holes will be created to blend into the beak and I will have to continue the carvings into that knee.

My plan is to paint the whole thing flat black, then carefully remove the black from the top surface of the relief with a scraper and try to paint the white scroll work.  At that point, I can work on getting some of the subtle detail to the scroll "leaves".

post-11777-0-95809200-1483391490.jpg

post-11777-0-15463900-1483391501.jpg

post-11777-0-21608600-1483391512.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

G'day Nils

Wow this is the first time I realized HOW BIG the model is going to be.....you holding the base stand in your hands and the photo of the stand next to the false keel. It's mind boggling.

Havagooday mate

Greg