JosephHuntley

Need some Help with a couple dimensions I cant seem to locate for my offsets

33 posts in this topic

hey guys I finally came across some awesome drawings and the cool part is they have already been corrected of errors by the team that was going to restore one of the ships.

I am giving a link to all I have on the ship along with my excel sheet for the offsets and my curve files

here is my problem I got all the curves tested in solidworks and they indead have been fixed up however I am missing the info for a couple dimensions to enter into the curves for the stations to complete them.

I am missing the Half-Siding, the Deck Sheer and the Plank Sheer Dimensions to finish the curve files off properly

http://www.proflooney.net/Steamer-Schooner-Wapama.zip

it is The Steamer Schooner WAPAMA Circa 1915

above is zip file of everything I have  its the drawings, an excell file I made of the offsets, and all the curve files I made for importing into Solidworks (unlike some other cad programs I have to make each curve file as a separate file

these are some really really nice plans and I want do do a good job on it as its one of the few sets of drawings where i can actually understand them as a newbie to ship modelling. I just am having some problems at the moment figuring out what those 3 missing dimensions come from so I can enter them in the proper space in my tables

thanks

Joe

Edited by JosephHuntley
thibaultron likes this

Ok I got the bottom of the curve files fixed. I found the correct dimension for the lower portion but it was 10" and it should have been 9" all the way from station 1 1/2 to 9 so far and looking at the profile 9 1/2 will be the same.

Station 1/2 will be at 12" and station 1 will be at 1- 1/2 inches

once i can figure out what the heck to do abt the tops and the last 2 stations once they are all finished I will edit the offset table to correct it to match properly so that we have a proper table.

like i said any help would be appreciated.

Wapama-12.png

mtaylor and thibaultron like this

once I finish this one I want to do the Thayer also as an R/C Model so my grandson and I can sail together. I am having a ton of fun drawing ships little more so than i did with planes, however trying to figure out how to do stations is driving me to short sessions as I get frustrated and just shut down my drawing program lol. it is a steep learning curve for me but i wont give up i have an unhealthy obsession going right now to get this and the thayers hulls done once I have the hulls the rest is downhill for me as figuring out how they frame together etc is just a matter of reading threads and doing some studying

PeteB, thibaultron and mtaylor like this

Well after all day of messing around I got every station but the last 2 to work out. once I update the files with the corrections I will upload a fixed version

post-24995-0-08293000-1483428212_thumb.png

mtaylor and thibaultron like this

I was late getting back here and I see you've gotten along quite well with your SolidWorks sketches ... and modelling.

SW is an uphill trudge for the first timer.  I spent a day trying to put a point on a pencil when I started learning on my own at home.

I also looked at the docs in your zipped file.

What a beautiful schooner and to have all those drawings and images is priceless.

I hope you record your progress on the forum because this surely is one I'd like to follow.

JosephHuntley and mtaylor like this

thanks guys yes I have been using solidworks since like solidworks 5 or so lol when it was new so many many years. I am used to drawing aircraft now trying to do ships. the only hull I have been able to sucessfuly able to get drawn is for fletcher class destroywher where i have the full bath shipyard microfilm for.

So my problem now is figuring out the last 2 stations. so if anyone is good with offset tables and can help me.

I am also very new to how these are framed up so once I get going will definatley need help on timbers like how wide they are and how thick they usually are.

I may start with drawing up the keel and rabbet area. I just dont know where to start and how to get the last 2 stations going

mtaylor and PeteB like this

PS as soon as i figure everything out will start an actual draw/build thread.

I wanna use this to try and get some help on these offsets I am still missing from being 100% complete

mtaylor likes this

Ok got a test loft going. looking good but for the transom. will add some buttock lines to my loft to help the shapes more.

post-24995-0-07656300-1483507103_thumb.png

post-24995-0-12610200-1483507109_thumb.png

mtaylor likes this

Ok So now I decided to try working with the Buttocks. it makes it tricky as not all hit every station thus i need to do it in sections. once I get it though I can create more stations and wont need the Buttock Lines. this should give me a better hull shape when finished

post-24995-0-62662000-1483510890_thumb.png

mtaylor likes this

ok while I make a mess of the hull trying to get the transom figured out let me ask a question or two

in the picture below it shows some dimensions for the Futtock (think thats what they called) widths

But it shows 2 different dimensions why are there 2 dimensions?

post-24995-0-99299900-1483514158_thumb.png

mtaylor likes this

Ok next Question to make sure I understand all this right

in below pic I am seeing frames are 2'-6" apart on center made up of 2 frames 10 1/2" thick laminated together.

and from frames 21-41 something abt sister frames 9" thick. (I assume sister frames are basically to help stiffen and give somewhere to attach joints to and are like partial stations?

post-24995-0-87648400-1483515076_thumb.png

PeteB and mtaylor like this

Posted (edited)

your zebra image looks quite good to me

image in post 17

your frames are doubled, two back to back then a sister frame then two more

in each set (double frame) the joints are staggered

one dimension is the foward frame floor joint location

the other is ther aft frame floor joint location dimension

image post 17

your "room and space", "molded and sided" dimension info is given between image 17 and 18

I'd guess the space is the gap filled with the sister frame between frame sets.

your space in image 17 is 9"... but you have not gap

there is a filler or sister frame installed

seems your framing is solid

image post 19

all timbers do not go to the main rail

every third one terminates below the weather deck with open space up to the covering board that is filled with a cleat to support the covering board

the frame to the right of it reachs the covering board which fills the space at the weather deck

this allows for openings through the wall for water on the weather deck to flow out of like drain passage ways but keeps the water from flowing down between frames and rotting them out

the frame to the left goes all the way up to the main rail above the weather deck creating the wall so people do not get washed overboard.

image 9

station 10 seems wrong at the stern post

the stern post does not run as a straight line, it bows out to accomodate the propellor shaft

station 10 would follow this profile albiet inboard for the rabbet where the planking terminates

hope this helps

Edited by AON
druxey, PeteB and mtaylor like this

thanks Alan it helps to make sense of some of the stuff for me. later today I will mess with some of the stations and will see if I get them right. I think once i start seeing it in 3 dimensions it may make more sense to me

mtaylor likes this

Posted (edited)

I believe you need to be working off plans 6a thru 10a (corrected lines)

You can use a set of dividers and measure directly off the half breadth and starboard profile plans to plot your points.

Edited by AON
mtaylor likes this

I suspect that the two dimensions are to allow for bevelling the frames. Cut to the larger of the two measurements, by the time the bevels are cut and the framing faired, the width should be no less than the smaller dimension.

mtaylor likes this

Posted (edited)

It is funny Druxey that I focused on the one dual dimension and didn't see the many others!

I am finding lately that I need to zoom in considerably to read stuff and am using a magnifying glass in the work shop and at the office.

Thank goodness for 27" monitors.

Going for a needle in my eye next week and hoping after two more to follow that my eyesight improves considerably.

Either that or it bloody well better stimulate hair growth up top.

Joe, if I may call you Joe, having looked at all those drawings once more this afternoon I am very jealous.... they really are marvellous.

Edited by AON
druxey and mtaylor like this

thanks guys and Alan no need to be jealous I shared )) also don't forget to get the sailing schooner drawings I posted too ))

right now I am setting up all the planes etc on the drawings for the stations etc. which is totally time consuming due to dimensions offsetting etc. I got everything made up now for the assy but now a couple more hours needed to lock the station planes i created into place in the assy

85 Planes for the front half the stations and 85 for the back side so 170 planes to do a top front and right plane mate hehe

PeteB and mtaylor like this

Well I got all the image planes made and mated into the proper locations. I took the planes and did intersect curve to them from my loft and the front 90% of the ship turned out beautiful. I still need to figure out the transom area but will take a break for now while I make all my 3D stations. it is always nice to take a break when something is driving you nuts. who knows maybe someone else with tons more experience, while playing with cad will have it figured out while I work on the other stuff

post-24995-0-59067200-1483587844.png

post-24995-0-88765900-1483587850_thumb.png

PeteB, AON, druxey and 1 other like this

well I got the basic middle station shape my problem is going to be finding an easy way yo get the rest of them and have a smooth transition between each without having the starved horse look. too bad the inner and outer portions werent the same shape but nooooo that would be too easy hehehe

post-24995-0-19582900-1483589885_thumb.png

AON, mtaylor, PeteB and 1 other like this