Admiral - the movie

ca.shipwright

I ran across a historical drama on Netflix entitled Admiral. This is about the Dutch in the 17th Century and theire battles with England and France with a mention of Spain. The sailing ships and battle scenes are superb. The movie is subtitled in English as most of the dialogue is in Dutch which was very easy to follow. Of course, the English speak English and the French speak French. Since Netflix has it, it must be several years old. But, I don't recall any mentions here in the US.

IMHO well worth a viewing.

We've had at least 4 topics on this....   ;)   :)   Do a search from the main page using "Ruyter" (without quotes) as the keyword.     It's true.. not much if any press in the US on it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No problem...  Here in the States, this is a hidden movie.  I was looking for it and there really wasn't much out there.   :(   I don't do Netflix, so I'm even more in the dark.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I watched a quasi documentary on my Kindle on Amazon Prime re: English and Dutch sea battles (Broadside:Emerging Empires Collide)

U.K. Dramatic Production. If memory serves covers middle 1600's to the point where the Dutch ceded New York to the British 2hrs.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.