Need advice - what should I build after the AVS?

pdx_matthew

Hi Forum,

I need advice from folks who have completed admiralty-style model builds, including maybe the Triton or any of the Swan-class ships based on Admiralty Model's plans and the SeaWatch book series.

I'm about to complete my Model Shipways AVS, and I'd like input on what to build next. My ultimate goal is to be capable of taking fully framed plans and produce admiralty models, and/or fully rigged models. I have the 4 book set of Swan class books from SeaWatch, as well as the budget, time and patience required to undertake such a model, though perhaps not the depth of experience required.

I've been eyeing the Echo cross section as a possible next build, but if I'm going to attempt the Echo cross section, should I just spring for the full Swan build instead?

I also really like BlueJacket's 1/4" scale America Yatch, because it appears to be the same full-on plank on frame concept, but with less complexity than the Swan class.

Any input from the members here concerning kits, builds and build logs would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance. :) Although I don't post much, I thoroughly enjoy reading through the build models and advice threads found on this website. This is a really great community!

Happy Holidays!

Matthew

My first build was the Caldercraft Badger, and I moved onto the Amati Pegasus.  If you have the TFFM books, I would think about either the Pegasus or Fly, or scratching your own.  Lots of great logs on here, and the TFFM series is top notch.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Matthew,

If you are to go with the BlueJacket's America, I like to get the first and best seat in the house.

That lady is one I really want to build someday.

Oh, a WARM :sign:,

along with a Happy ending and Happy New Year!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Personally... I'd go with the Triton or Echo Cross-Section to get a feel for full-framed builds.    Echo is a bit more complex than the Triton so that's a toss up.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Be aware that with the Bluejacket kit, you won't be building frames. They start with a solid hull and slice it like a loaf of bread to make the "frames" that you will get in the kit. Take a look at their video of the Jefferson Davis kit and you'll see how they do the frames.

You might consider Hannah from The Lumberyard - http://dlumberyard.com/shipkits.html

It uses the Hahn style of making frames, which is different from something like the Echo cross section, but still quite challenging. I started Hannah many years ago and never finished it, but there are some pictures on my website that show what I accomplished and what it's like to build using the Hahn method. http://modelboatyard.com/hannah.html

Cheers -

John