EJ_L

Cross Section Plan Designs

Something that I think would like to do to accompany my ship displays is to have a cross section of the ship that I am modeling. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of cross sections outside of the most common ships, Victory, Constitution etc.. So I am looking for someone who has the ability and would be willing to draw up some plans for cross sections of the two ships that I am currently building, La Couronne and Le Soleil Royal.

I am aware that good information is not readily available on these two ships so I am mostly looking for something that would closely resemble the building practices and layout of the ships of this era. I would like it to be the center of the ship at the main mast.

If anyone is interested or knows of someone I should contact please let me know. I am willing to pay for the plans as I know this will take some effort.

Thanks!

mtaylor, zoly99sask, Anja and 4 others like this

I started the mary rose based on a couple of drawings from the mary rose books. Project is on one side at the moment, but I intend to pick it up again once I have finished the Bounty.  Have you thought about doing the larger gun deck sections, as they are quite nice as well. There are also a couple of CAD sites that have hull plans laid out, such as Delftship, you can look at for free...

EJ_L, thibaultron, mtaylor and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

EJ

What would be ideal is finding a contemporary drawing of a cross section for these vessels, but I have no idea if such drawings exist.   Ancre does have beautiful drawings of ships of similar size that would at least guide you with planking thicknesses and the like.  You could start with making a  drawing of the midships bulkheads as a starting point then use these other plans as a guide for the framing width and moulded dimensions, planking, and so forth.  The problem is that  drawings from Ancre are not cheap.   As these ships are from the 17th century, finding accurate plans and scantlings for them is probably impossible.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed
Canute, EJ_L, thibaultron and 1 other like this

Thanks everyone! Allan, I forgot about looking to see what Ancre had. May have to take a look and see if anything might help.

I have always thought this would be a great display option, having a cross section of the completed model but I am also looking at this as a starting point to working on a fully framed ship which is why I want to make sure my framing is done accurately or as close as I can get it to the practices of the era. I know I will end up making educated guesses based on the books I have on 17th century ships, plans and plates I have gathered and a very educational thesis paper I found by Kroom Nickolaev Batchvarov at Texas A&M University titled The Framing of Seventeenth-Century Men-Of-War In England and Other Northern European Countries. In it he not only does an excellent job of defining, explaining and comparing the various methods of framing but he also includes many great drawings so an easier visualization can be had.

I love this era of sailing both for the majestic ships that came out of it and also because of the fact that it is the lees well know and studied era. Learning has always intrigued me and with this century, you have to constantly keep researching and studying as there is not as much readily available information. Even on the more well known ships of the time and even Vasa, which actually exists, we are still learning something new all the time. To me, this is half the fun of modeling.

I will keep looking and searching to see what I can find. I plan on attempting the first cross section after I finish La Couronne and it will be her that it will be of. That will probably be this summer or later as I still have a lot of rigging to go so I have plenty of time for further searching and design.