Hi from Mike in Rhode Island

Why is it that every 15 years or so I return to ship modelling? Of all my (many) hobbies, this is the only one I come back to! ‘Just a rhetorical thought.

In any case, here I am back again and I must say this forum really fills a gap in the ship modelling world. My last kit model from 25 years ago (attachment) was great fun and I was fairly happy with it but the access to practical knowledge and research for personal improvement was nowhere near as easy find as this forum seems to provide. I’ve been skimming all over the forum for about two weeks now and am very happy to have found it.

I’ve chosen a POB kit from Model Expo, the New Bedford Whaleboat, to sharpen my skills for now and figure out what I don’t know … which will take a while. There are already some very nice builds and discussions of that whaleboat in the forum and I am less than an hour away from the New Bedford Whaling Museum.

I dusted off my last project (attachment) from the 90's but can’t remember the name of the kit. The stand is from Aeropiccola so maybe the kit was also made by them. IIRC it had three layers of planks. A balsa or basswood layer over molds. Then an outer and inner layer of (I think) walnut. One side of the hull is painted and the other side is natural with a thin varnish. The grating is removable. Many parts are missing.

So, I am really looking forward to participating in the forum. And by the way, Happy New Year!

Mike

post-27286-0-84690600-1483847762_thumb.jpg

Welcome back to ship modeling and welcome to MSW! Having a place like this will be night and day difference in how you model. I did a few ships before finding here and while all my models improved through the natural course of experience, since being here those skills and knowledge has grown exponentially. Now only having access to research and techniques but just being around a community of people that are sharing in the hobby makes a huge difference in the way I feel about modeling, not to mention the support to get through those frustrating times when quitting sounds good.

Good luck to you on your new build! I look forward to seeing your work!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mike,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well my little electronics lab is now converted and renamed the "shipyard". The work on the whale boat has begun and the Model Shipways kit is very nice. Fortunately, I save most of my small tools over the years so no new expenses there.

Regarding a build log: Should I assume the build log is mostly for progress updates while any help requests should be in topic specific posts?

Thank you for your very nice greetings!

Best,

Mike

Edited by Mike_In_RI

Welcome back!

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Mike,

The build logs are actually the best place to start asking about questions on your model as we can see the model through your pictures which often helps in getting the answer you need. It does not hurt though to also ask it in the specific section as this opens up the question to other people who may not be following your build. There are no set rules other than try to ask in the right section. :) Often times the answer you seek can be found in the search feature but we will always be happy to help you out. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

To answer your first question...I dunno, I think wooden ship modeling (or ship modeling in general) is in the blood.  Once you get bit, you can never really let it go.  There always seems to be the lore to get back in and build another one better, or bigger, or more complex.  It's in the blood and the only cure is scotch.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

The build logs are actually the best place to start asking about questions on your model as we can see the model through your pictures which often helps in getting the answer you need.

Ok, I'll do that and I appreciate the help.