Just wondering...

Is the Clay Feldman scratch building practicum on the brig Lexington advertised in Ships in Scale any different from the eight articles in the magazine published back in 2005?

I have those old magazines -- both the digital and hard copies -- and was wondering if there's any difference.

Dan

• 1 year later...

The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) now has all of the Lexington book and CD files formerly sold by Ships in Scale magazine.  The CD with the pdf book is available for $39.95 on a CD disc or $49.95 on a Flash Drive plus $5.00 shipping from the NRG. 

We do not have it available in the NRG store yet for on-line ordering, but if you call the NRG office (585) 968-8111,  Mary can take your card information or give you the PayPal payment information and we can ship you one.  You can print out the book or use it on your computer.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Wain:

I just shipped your copy to you.  thanks,

Merry Christmas

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 4 years later...

30579EF6-3CC0-4833-AED7-559DC34B1DA3.thumb.jpeg.970067ebafb9436c76ac13429edc23c1.jpegI’m trying to assemble the Clay Feldman Lexington kit from Dlumberland.

I’m working on planking the quarter deck and am stuck on the tapering.

I tried to do it with eyeballing the taper, but the results were not spectacular to say the least. I had to rip it all out and am starting over. Any suggestions for managing this operation?

I have my stock all ready, I’m just having trouble managing the tapering. I did one using a binder clip and sandpaper and it looks ok, but I can’t see doing that 24 more times.49F705C8-2696-4404-928C-F3711E8E637D.thumb.jpeg.a91f0cdfdc9f8f662749a3d7b1465c02.jpeg191D9717-97F8-4D68-8E26-98DC06EB1CAB.thumb.jpeg.2e68411b4285cc77562ba56db9cafd8f.jpeg

Edited by JerryC
Upside down picture

Jerry, this is how I tapered the planks on my Fair American.  Measure the width of the deck at the fore end of the quarter deck and at the transom.  Decide the width of planks at the break of the deck, for example ten inches.  Divide the deck width by the plank width.  It obviously will not be whole number.  So if your deck width is twelve feet, you will have fourteen whole planks and an extra four inches.  Add a quarter inch to the width of each plank and you have the width of the planks at the break.  Now divide the width at the transom by fourteen and you have the plank width there as well.  Now that you know those two numbers, make one deck plank out of card and use it as a template to make the planks.  For installing, start at the midline.  It is a lot easier to hide an odd plank at the waterway than in the middle of the deck.  And don't forget the slight taper along the plank edges to compensate for the camber of the deck.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.