Fitting the yards to the masts

Telp

Hi all

I tried searching for an answer but I cannot see anything. Can anyone give me any tips on securing yards onto the masts, I have seen them wrapped by rope, or maybe by using pins, but would welcome any good tips. I am dressing the yards and masts prior to fitting to the ship which hopefully will make the task easier as I am also placing things like blocks etc.

Many thanks

Terry

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

Yards are secured with parrel beads that attach to the yard, wrap around the mast and connect to the yard again. Depending upon the ship, era and yard defines how these are actually rigged. Look up "parrel beads" in the search bar and you will see many builds with them.

If you are looking for a "dummy" attachment to hold the yard in place while you rig, then I recommend drilling a small hole in both the mast and yard and inserting a tiny pin, wood or metal doesn't matter, then gluing them together. This will help add strength and hopefully help to prevent accidental knock off.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I wholly concur with E.J. on this one.  I am at the same point in my build and I used metal pins with a drop of CA to secure the yards to the masts and then created beaded parrels for the yards calling for them, and simple riggin rope for the remainder. I have some photos on the log if you want to take a look.

Like you, I also dressed up the yards and masts as much as i could before attaching to the ship. Good call.

• 1 month later...

I put a small brass pin into the yard to fasten the yard to the mast as a blind fixing , then the rigging, its hidden and holds everything in place very easily.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

The real answer to this is kinda complex and a lot will depend on the ship you are building and the date it's representing. As mentioned above, the Peral Rope is what holds the yard in closer to the mast and also look up the Truss Pendants too as they are in the mix depending on which yard and which ship. But the story doesn't end there since the Peral, on its own, can't support the weight of the yard, it just keeps it close in like the leash on a dog. The Halyard and the Sling and the Lifts are holding the weight of the yard. as mentioned above, when shipbuilders started using iron they invented a goos neck swiveling crane, a metal Truss that performed the function of the Peral

Niagara USS Constitution