HMS Triton (1/64) by Aldo - POB

Hello Aldo,

I have missed you my friend. It is good to hear from you.

Looking forward to catching up with your build again. But give yourself the time and rest you need to feel better.

From both of us our heartfelt wishes for a complete recovery.

Anja & Sjors

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Aldo,

I too have missed you.  Good to know that you're still around and I'm hoping you can get back to the shipyard.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mobbsie, Mark, Anja (and Sjors), thank you so much for the well wishes my friends, they mean a lot to me :)

Unfortunately, chronic kidney disease is characterized by progressive deterioration in kidney function until renal failure sets in requiring dialysis or transplant, and causes a several-fold increase in risk of death from heart attack or stroke. Rate of deterioration ranges from a couple of months or years depending on a multitude of factors (sigh, it sucks being in the medical profession and knowing the prognosis of your illness  :unsure:)

Anyway, my health condition is currently stable so I'm regularly sneaking into the shipyard to do a bit of work, will post my next progress once I've finished the framing of the gunports and first planking :)

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hello Aldo!

What a surprise to see you back! I had no idea at all about the illness. Anja on her post of july 25th said something about health issue. I am really happy that you are stable now and glad that you can spend some of your time with the Triton...

My mom has the same illness. She is 67 and believe me, she makes a perfect "normal life". On the first days she was in the hospital with the dialysis every single day but right now and since four months she is at home with her treatment and meanwhile she paints and in the afternoons makes some pottery. She is ceramist and an artist.

Well, don´t want to bother you, just to let you now that is an illness (chronic, I now) but you can deal with it and damn I know you will!

Best of my wishes Aldo and hope to see those planks really soon!!

Daniel.

sorry to hear that you've been ill.....I wish you the best and hope to see you beat this :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you very much for the encouraging words, Daniel and Popeye, they are much appreciated :)

I'll be hanging on and continuing my battle with this affliction :pirate41:

I do plan to finish at least one scratchbuild before I croak :P

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Well, after going through nearly all the stages of depression due to my illness, I am slowly getting back on my feet. Thanks first and foremost to the Lord Jesus Christ, in Whom I find my strength and salvation, and of course, thanks to all you guys who have given me support in one way or another :)

This ship is included in my bucket list so I figure it's time to devote a bit of time to the shipyard, which as can be seen, needs a bit of tidying up  ;)

post-256-0-35794300-1419771059_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I thought I'd share what little I have accomplished these past several months:

First off, I encountered a slight problem brought about by my haste to get the hull done quickly :(

As previously mentioned, my hull is a combination of bulkheads that I made from the NMM draughts as well as from MSW plans.

Below is a printout of my CAD work showing the NMM plan juxtaposed to the MSW centerboard plan to illustrate the problem:

post-256-0-03123900-1419768335_thumb.jpg

As can be seen in the close up, MSW bulkheads number 6 and 18 fall directly on gunports:

post-256-0-48851400-1419768860_thumb.jpg

I had several options to solve this, but being the lazy guy that I am, I decided on the simplest one and that was to cut off the affected bulkhead extensions and just reposition  new extensions away from the area of the gunports:

post-256-0-27323700-1419769838_thumb.jpg

I also managed do a bit of planking and used cherry strip to mark the sheer so as to make it easier to position the second planking later on. Cherry was also used to set the upper and lower borders of the gunports since I plan to use this wood for my second planking:

post-256-0-32723800-1419770873_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-24868100-1419771656_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-39102900-1419771751_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-66410300-1419771767_thumb.jpg

I've also been doing some CAD work for my stern lights and stern fascia:

post-256-0-77157200-1419775957_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-74951900-1419777074_thumb.jpg

Once I'm done test fitting/tweaking cardboard printouts of these, I plan to send the files to Chuck for laser cutting. He makes some beautiful laser cut parts as seen in the discussion below  B) :

Last but not least is the long and excruciating work that I've done during the Christmas holiday, and that was..... drum roll please........

....to frame a pair of gun ports :P

post-256-0-77042400-1419772458_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to complete 24 gunports on the gundeck and 6 gunports on the quarterdeck, which should be finished in another year or so :D

That's it for now, thanks again guys B)

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Let me take the opportunity to welcome you back on your log.  It's great to have you 'home'.  Hope that you are improving and that things are returning to normal.

Sorry about the gunport dilemma and your solution is right up my alley  :D .  Hard to believe you're going to add a second layer over that wonderful planking job....but I AM looking forward to seeing the Cherry.

I'm smiling at your return.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice to see you back Aldo,

"Triton" hull Looks real great so far....

BTW what hapened to your "Pegasus" build ? are there any updates to come ?

Happy new year

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

From me also welcome home Aldo !!!!!!

I'm happy that I see you building and posting again !

I've missed you.......

One question.

At 5 page ,post number 74 and 80 there are some pictures missing.

Is there any change that you can put them back ??????

When I go to the dark side ( when ever ) I need all the information that I can get my hands on  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Take care my friend and take your time with every thing !!!!!!!!!

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

Hi Aldo,

It's great to hear that you're doing better.  Depression with any major health issue is a tough well to climb out of and from what I just read, you're climbing. 

Nice work on the Triton.  Did you get that "bump" sorted out?  Ok.. obviously, as you've planked.   She's looking good... better than good, actually.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Aldo,

Wonderful to see you back in the shipyard again! I do hope this signals a resumption of play and that we'll be seeing a lot more of you once again.

Your progress looks great so far. Great idea to have Chuck laser cut some tricky parts for you.

Aldo!

What a fantastic holiday gift to see you back in the shipyard and posting on MSW!  You have been missed my friend.

I want to wish you and your family a Happy and HEALTHY new year!  And let's not forget your Badger -- she deserves the company of your Triton and Pegasus along side her.  So here's to a very busy shipyard as well -- for many years to come!

Cheers,

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Aldo, like everyone else, I'm so happy to see you back posting here.  It was a lot of fun posting with you as a fellow Badger brother.  Glad to hear that you are doing better.

Your Triton is looking very nice my friend.  Very nice clean work as usual.  Hope you decide to stay here and post more regularly, we all enjoy your work and company!

Best wishes for a happy holiday and 2015 to you and your family.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Aldo,

it's good to hear from you. I am happy that you are doing better and find time to continue your log.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Welcome home mate.

Excellent planking mate, and that is a good fix with the gun ports.

Good to have you back

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thank you very much Augie, Anja, Nils, Sjors, Mark, Grant, Robert, Mike, Christian, and Mobbsie for the kind words and well wishes, I really appreciate it, and many thanks also to all who pressed the like button :)

To answer some querries:

Nils, my Pegasus is unfortunately on hold as my health condition limits my building time so I prioritized Triton.

Mark, the bump has indeed been sorted out and the modification produced a relatively fair hull, it appears that the NMM draught has negligible distortion and can be directly traced to create replacements for the offending aft-most bulkheads :)

Sjors, I'm afraid that I don't have anymore copies of those previous pics :( however, to summarize, those posts just show one method on how you can detect the degree of horizontal distortion on draughts by comparing 10 feet sections at various areas such as the foremost, middle, and aftmost portions of the "ruler-like" diagram as seen in the picture below:

post-256-0-68869800-1419865040_thumb.jpg

The closer these measurements are to each other, the less the horizontal distortion and vice versa. That is however only a minute aspect so for further reading, I highly recommend David Antscherl's two articles: "Understanding Eighteenth-Century Admiralty Drafts" and "Drawing Techniques for the Modeleller". These two excellent works give a lot of useful info on interpreting and drafting ship plans :) 

Thanks again you guys, have a Happy and Prosperous New Year to all! B) 

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Thanks Ben, will do, as long as my kidneys behave ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

• 3 weeks later...

Aldo!

HMS Pegasus   mothballed? And giving priority to the HMS Triton?!  Way to go! :dancetl6:

Sometimes when I see my Triton covered with a blanket (mothballed?) to avoid all the dust and everything from the environment... I realized the amount of work done so far and I ask myself when something is done, finished, concluded... or it´s not.  I feel really happy just looking the Triton on its stage right now.

It´s just a thought.

Here´s an interesting pic to explore, let´s see how many mothballed guns are on the ships and subs.... I have counted 56... :rolleyes:

post-87-0-92024900-1421315791_thumb.jpg

Best wishes Aldo and keep going!

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Aldo,

I've a question to the position of your bulkheads. Why don't you use the station lines of the original drawing? You get the hull form from the body plan and can direct start with your build?

Regards Christian

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Thanks for dropping by and the good word guys :)

Daniel, I think I'll also cover my ships the with blanket next time I mothball them, it's amazing how much dust can accumulate in these models when left alone for months :D Thanks for the picture, wow! that's a lot of mothballed ships B)

Christian, thanks for the tip :) If I understand correctly, do you mean I should cut new bulkhead extensions based on the NMM plan and position them to their corresponding station lines on the NMM profile plan? If yes, then I think that was what I did:

post-256-0-71159300-1422095204_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Yepp, that's what I mean.

Regards Christian

Thanks for the confirmation Christian, I guess great minds think alike :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, I just came from a long break from ship building:piratebo5:

My old computer, containing all my Triton CAD drawings crashed two years ago, plus I've been very busy with my health work ups, my job, as well as new hobbies that captured my interest, hence, shipbuilding took a backseat.

Last night however, I chanced upon a documentary on HMAV Bounty so I was inspired to take a peek here and see how things are doing in the model-shipbuilding world. I thought I'd also post photos on the small bits of progress I've accomplished.

Time sure flies, just a few years ago I was building Triton's hull, and now.......    well, I'm still building Triton's hull:P

I was finally able to finish the 1st planking and gun-ports today, thanks in no small part to that Bounty documentary:dancetl6: 

Here she is awaiting her last plank:

20180203_084044-1.thumb.jpg.e858cc113593a041e3c45083fe3660aa.jpg

Whether scratch-building or building a kit, one of the most satisfying steps for me is sticking in that last plank...   OK, it's a sharp, pointy plank that is a glaring violation of planking rules, but this is just the first planking so cut me some slack:P 

20180203_113750.thumb.jpg.3061f2bf0a54d7e395b9dacfcfdba641.jpg

Once I start second planking, I'll decide whether I will properly pre-spile my planks like I did in my Pegasus or be a lazy violator of planking rules... if by chance I go with the lazy-violator route, please feel free to give me 40 lashes:piratetongueor4:

The Admiral is using my workshop so I'm left to take pictures on the TV stand:blink:20180203_113046-1.thumb.jpg.b99439c548ba79299576da654bf3a6da.jpg

20180203_104745-1.thumb.jpg.7614ca6976edf2318209f4b5c9a117cb.jpg

I'm happy to report that the bulge on the aft portion has disappeared with the revised aft bulkheads I've taken from the NMM draught of Triton:

20180203_110826-1.thumb.jpg.407e76d542cb65cb1a10a8cf16a0d407.jpg20180203_111110-1.thumb.jpg.bdde12d877b58d420d7d580baa7e464b.jpg

The fore bulkheads were also taken directly from the NMM draught and I think the resulting shape seems acceptable enough based on this shot taken at an angle from the bow:

20180203_105959-1.thumb.jpg.2e6398fb01542a8e994a46c935fa066f.jpg

NEWEST CHALLENGE TO HURDLE 

Like I said before, my computer crashed, taking with it all my Triton CAD drawings, including the expansion drawings that I made for the stern and its windows... I worked so hard on that and it took me such a long time just to get it done since I'm just a newbie at CAD. I was planning to have that stern and all those stern windows laser-cut to make my build easier, and to have window sills that look "to scale"... but now all those have gone pffft:( 

Up to now, all the computer shops here suggest reformatting the computer but that will delete all my saved files:omg:

All I have left is this NMM Triton draught, which is too large to be scanned for uploading to my CAD program:

20180203_131243.thumb.jpg.f486f0cb63dffb64e93155635e218e47.jpg

20180203_131024.thumb.jpg.8b18afa8676bf596390e81b4738bc6e8.jpg

I am left with 2 options:

1. Cut my NMM draught into smaller pieces that can fit my scanner so I can load it again on CAD. Then redo all the drawings that I previously made (I'm hesitant to do this since I was planning to frame my NMM Triton draught and hang it beside the model when I finish her, and more importantly, I feel too lazy to redo everything that I drew all over again).

2. Continue my search for a computer shop that can somehow retrieve my files from my computer so as to save myself from a redoing a lot of work.

I've been going with the second option for the past 2 years, I'm just too lazy I guess:P

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi Aldo,

if the hard discof your old computer is ok, you can take it out of the computer, put it in an external drive station and put it with the USB port on an other computer. if you're lucky, you get access to all drawings, you have done. 2011 my old notebook crashed and I could restore a lot of my work on this way. In the meantime I store my data in an cloud, to avoid these problems

I wish you a lot of luck with your data.

You're hull is looking really well.

Regards Christian