HMS Triton (1/64) by Aldo - POB

Hi to all,

Newbie here, respectfully requesting permission to join this elite group of HMS Triton builders, Sir!  B)

This is my first attempt at doing a scratchbuild so I hope you guys would bare with my insufficient knowledge on nautical stuff  :blush: Having very limited experience in wooden ships, I will opt for a POB build and will probably simplify most of the details as much as possible. For now, I will settle for a 1/96 scale project, using lime as my timber to minimize expense and wood wastage ;)

Starting with the stem pieces, I will follow the path taken by most kit manufacturers, representing this as a single piece (well perhaps I could make the gripe and bobstay piece as separate parts if my tools and skills will allow). 

post-256-0-26595900-1364822105_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-57510100-1364822144_thumb.jpg

I will use these two strips of lime to represent the single lengths of the keel and false keel. I know this approach may make some cringe, but, like I said, it's a simplified build  ^_^

post-256-0-76801700-1364822365_thumb.jpg

I plan to cut the stem and stern post at the level of the rabet (pencilled area), then add a "rabbet strip" later to allow easier planking:

post-256-0-05631400-1364821497_thumb.jpg

All is set and it's time to start cutting:

post-256-0-80932600-1364821190_thumb.jpg

That's it for now, comments and advice are very much welcome. This is my first scratchbuild attempt and I will need all the help I can get :)

EDIT: I now realize after seeing the complete set of plans that 1/96 scale would result to about 1mm thickness of the frames/bulkhead extensions :blink:  :wacko:  :unsure:  Due to this, I've decided to enlarge my scale to 1/64 ;)

Edited by rdsaplala

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Aldo,

Looks like a good start.  Just a quick tip:  you can cut the drawing down almost to the cut lines and then position your wood.  You might be able to better "pack" the parts on the slab and save some scrap.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard Aldo!

I thing you are rigtht, working to 1/96 I would the stem and stern post as single pieces. Then using tracing paper or some transparent paper you can glue it to the whole piece and mark with a sharp blade or a chisel the different parts. Then you can use a pencil to emphatize the joint between and simule the caulking.

Best wishes!

Daniel.

And he's off! Congratulations on starting your scratch build Aldo. I'll follow your progress with great interest,

Aldo,

welcome to this beautyful project. I'll follow your progress withe great interest.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks for the kind words, Pete, Mark, Daniel, Grant, Christian and Guy, I appreciate it :)

Mark, thanks for the tips on how to minimize wood wastage, I'll give them a try

Daniel, thanks for those tips on marking the different keel parts with a knife and pencil, it'll come in really handy

Just a bit of update guys, I'm finally done cutting the keel pieces. It's a very simplified version with only a few pieces (5 to be exact)... a testament to my laziness ^_^

I made the keel slightly longer than recommended so as to allow some room for tweaking, if needed later on

post-256-0-38729900-1365082488_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-88586700-1365082477_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-42650800-1365082483_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-85165200-1365082508_thumb.jpg

I was pretty surprised to see just how big this ship really is.... at 1/96 scale, she's almost as long as my 1/64 Swan Class Sloop so I could imagine just how big she would be if I made her in 1/64 scale :blink:

post-256-0-55402700-1365082474_thumb.jpg

Well, that's it for now, time to drop a line at the "access request page" so I can start cracking on those bulkheads :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Looking very nice there Aldo. I'm looking forward to seeing the next stage.

Really nice start, Aldo.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...

Hi my Friend,

I see that you take the step to the dark side...

I will looking over your shoulder!

I know that you make a Grand Lady from it!

I will follow you( only to read, not to build )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aldo..... I was wondering where you disappeared to.... I just saw on someones's log where you said you were starting to scratch build the

Triton, so I thought I'd better get over here and see how you're doing.......looks like your off to a great start.. with all the talent you have, she's sure to be an outstanding build ... 

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thank your very much for the kind words, Pete, Sinan, Grant, Christian, Daniel, Ben, Guy, Sjors and Frank, they are much appreciated  :)

Pete, I used lime for my 1/96 keel, but I'm switching to 1/64 scale and plan to use either boxwood or swiss pear for my new keel

Sinan, I'm afraid I have revised my scale to 1/64, the frames were just too thin (almost 1mm) at 1/96 and this was just too scary for me, especially since I'm a bit heavy handed. As such, you still hold the record for having the smallest Triton ;)

Daniel, yes I tapered my original 1/96 keel, though I'm afraid I will have to replace it since I've switched to a new scale :(

Grant, Ben, Sjors and Frank, thanks for the support my friends, I'll need all the help I can get with this challenging build :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi guys,

Just a wee bit of update on what I've accomplished with my Triton.

First, I thought I'd share the modifications that I planned to do to my ship's center board, in the hope of decreasing the amount of detailing that I have to do and also to provide slots that will allow me to easily secure the masts/bowsprit with their proper rake (see picture below):

post-256-0-98074500-1368803774_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-44189500-1368805549_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-08864400-1368805584_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-07541200-1368805701_thumb.jpg

The modified centerboard proved fairly easy to do, however, I came upon some problems when I made the bulkheads as some of them, particularly the aft-most ones gave some odd looking shape to the hull when test planks were temporarily attached. A detailed discussion on this can be seen in the link below:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1929-question-regarding-lines-of-hms-triton-1771/

I decided to compare the provided plans with the original draughts rescaled to 1/64. The original inboard profile proved to be pretty much spot on with the provided plans (save for the height of the bowsprit):

post-256-0-99766200-1368804775_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-72383100-1368804789_thumb.jpg

The bulkheads on the other hand, posed some challenges as some of them were not very close to the originals. I finally decided to make some new bulkheads using some of the stations in the original draughts.

post-256-0-39954900-1368805906_thumb.jpg

Well, that's it for now, just need to make about 3 more bulkheads for the stern section then I can move on to adding the stern timbers ;)

post-256-0-39916000-1368806377_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-34368800-1368806161_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi Aldo,

Your old Badger pal here mate, just found you and you are a braver man than me my friend.

I'm going to follow you for sure so good luck although you wont need it I'm sure.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Aldo,

You look to be on the right path to greatness.  :)  Looking really good and you seem to have a good handle on the rework of those aft bulkheads.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice Job Aldo. Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Hi Aldo,

Great work so far. This looks to be be quite a challenge, which I'm absolutely sure you'll master in no time. Good to see you back and posting again my friend.

Thanks for the kind words, Mobbsie, Mark, Larry, Grant, and Guy, I appreciate it :)

I think I read somewhere that there is a thin line between bravery and stupidity, I'll know which of these two applies to me once I

plank this crazy attempt at modifying my hull  :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Good Morning 'Mr. Scratch Builder',

I'm wondering if you'll still accept kudos from the "lite side" of the forum? ;)  

But seriously Aldo, your Triton is looking great!  There's no doubt you were ready for a full scratch, and I look forward to watching her take shape.

Cheers,

Robert

Current Build: HMS Mars

Hello Robert

Thanks for dropping by as well as your vote of confidence my friend, if I could get my hull to look half has good as yours, I'll be a very happy man :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi Aldo,

That looks like ..scratch building stuff.

Great job till now!

Anja is asking why I'm not doing such a thing.

I'll wait till you are finished and see how it goes  :)

Watch out what you are doing because I'm sitting at the left side of you to see what you are doing.

Any change that I can get a cup of coffee over here?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Aldo,I want to thank you for the link to Amazon.I did order the TFFM vol 1 at a great used price of $42 including shipping.Please let me know if you come across vol 2.Thank you again   Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Hi guys,

@Larry: no problem, mate, glad to be of help :)

@Sjors: Sure my friend, I've reserved some front seats for you, would you prefer brewed coffee or instant ;)

I have no doubt you can do this kind of stuff my friend, with your excellent modelling skills and neat set of tools, I know you

can cross over to the dark side without any problem :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build: