Wonderful site

Jim Neil

Hello to all,

I have been enjoying the craftsmanship and attention to detail as I peruse the build logs and forum topics.

I was given a Constructo kit of the Enterprise circa 1799 back in the 80's. It has sat on the shelf ever since and I always thought I would "get around to building it someday". I am now almost retired and I think the time is coming very rapidly to finally take it on.

As I look at the amazing work you all seem capable of I also have come to the understanding that this particular kit is not necessarily a first timers kit! I did a lot of modelling as a kid and enjoyed it immensely but I realize that to do this ship justice I will need to proceed with caution! Perhaps a simpler kit to start? I think so...

Anyway, as I consider all this I want to thank MSW and all the builders for giving me a site that will be an unbeatable source of information and techniques as I move forward into this incredible world.

Thank you!

Jim Neil

Hello Jim and welcome aboard,

This is a great place to learn and share tips and techniques.

I think the Enterprise is an intermediate kit. But if you really want to build it, feel free to start a buildlog.

If needed, you'll find plenty of advise, help and encouragement from everyone.

One of our members, Adam (SkerryAmp) has created 'The Model Ship World Ship Kit Database'. http://mswshipkits.ampitcher.com/

You can search the database on skill level, manufacturer, scale, kit type etc. It is certainly worth having a look.

You also might have a look in the Ship Modeling Database of articles for information about Model Ship Kits - What to expect and Kit selection http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-plans-and-research.php

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Jim and welcome to MSW. This site is in fact a Wonderful Site. A culmination of ship building history, help, tips, tricks, stories and opinions. This is my #1 site for sure.

Pierre.:10_1_10:

All in all it's pretty relaxing when you just take your time.....

Current build

Santa Maria by MarisStella

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Hi Jim,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

get started???

what are you waiting for?   :)

:sign:

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Welcome Jim,

There are several "starter" projects right here in the MSW forums with cross section builds. Only the simplest of tools are needed and would give you a little experience not only in ship modeling, but on the dark side, scratch building as well.

Enjoy your time here, it's a ton of fun, being an E ticket ride (I show my age) in all respects.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW Jim!! Good to have you with us! Whichever model you decide to start with we will be right here ready to help you out with answers and tips to make it an enjoyable experience. Good luck!

Edited by EJ_L

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild