Mast Hoop Spacing

robnbill

I am working out the spacing interval for spanker mast hoops for the Eagle. Nothing on this was documented or found in the wreck so I was looking at other period ships. I found an excerpt on the Constitution Rigging from "Constitution - All Sails Up and Flying" By Olof A. Eriksen.

It refers to leveling the hoops on 27” spacing for the spanker. The Constitution’s Anatomy of a Ship has then spaced approximately 3’ on centers although the AOS is not considered very accurate.

James Lee’s book, "The Masting and Rigging of English Warships" states the Spanker sail was either laced to the mast or laced to hoops, the latter using the lace holes to attach the hoops. He states that the lace holes above the reef points were at 30” intervals.

I have also had advice that the hoops should be 4 to 5 feet apart. So should these be 27" or closer to the 5 foot spacing? I am not putting sails on the ship, so these will all be sitting on top of the spanker boom.

Advice?

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli