USS Constitution by JSGerson - Model Shipways Kit No. MS2040

I've been collecting the US Navy plans ever since I decided to build the Conny back in 2014 or so..  Why these particular plans are not available from the Museum makes no sense. When the US Navy plans were first added to their website, I know these were there. I checked every plan they offered against what I purchased on their second version CD. The first version CD I got from a fellow builder, had a different file format and others plans that are not relevant to the historic ship (fire prevention, electrical, etc.) as well as the main bulk of what available to the public today. I've also found some plans in the National Archives. I know there must be a bunch more plans in the hands of the many subcontractors who have work on the ship over the decades, but why those aren't available, I don't know. 

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

On 10/21/2017 at 4:31 PM, JSGerson said:

Final Touches

I chose not to attach the rudder assembly to the boats due to their very delicate structure. In actuary, the rudders are not stored inside boat when not used. All the oars, masts, and any other accoutrements will be made at the time the boats are to be installed.

As I slog through shaping the filler blocks - I find myself viewing your boat builds and looking forward to them. I likely won’t jump ahead on mine, but you did such a good job it motivates me!

Current Build: USS Constitution 1:76 Model Shipways MS 2040 

At Sea [Completed 2023]: 1805 Swift  

SUBaron - I had a lot of fun building those boats.

Jon

• 1 month later...

At this point, I’ve installed the main beams above the first two pairs of guns after the bow dummy guns. There are additional supplementary support beams between the main beams which I have not installed because this area will be mostly covered by the spar deck planking. However, as I progress aft, areas of the spar deck will be open to the gun deck for viewing.  I haven’t decided whether to install some or none of these supplementary beams because they will substantially obscure the view of the gun deck. This last main beam (as you view the image) is just forward of the main hatch where the whale boat is to be stored on the spare deck. My original intension was to work aft from the bow adding the gun rigging, furniture, support stanchions and beams as I progressed. I have since decided to pause here and start work from the stern forward and pausing to construct the supports for the hatchways as I encounter them.

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

Dining Area Partition and Commodore's Pantry

Early in the build, I did not partition the dining room area from the main gun deck area; I was going to leave that open. Since the present configuration of the actual ship has the partition in place, I’ve decided to recreate that on my model. Additionally, I did not construct the Commodore’s Pantry which encompasses the mizzen mast on the gun deck. I thought at the time that I might need that area open to facilitate the seating the mizzen mast. If I sequence assembling the parts correctly, I don’t think that will be a problem. The partition and the pantry will connect to each other.

2016 July - Restorers apply a coat of stain to Constitution‘s gun deck in front of the Captain’s Cabin 01.jpg

Picture29.png

Using card stock, I made a template for the partition. Then, using 1/32” plywood, I fabricated the partition based on the template. Due to the expected confined viewing space and dark lighting inside the finished model, the partition and pantry walls details will not be seen clearly. Like I did for the captain’s cabin’s interior walls previously, I printed the details of the partition walls on paper using PowerPoint and pasted them onto 1/32” plywood.

Commodore's Pantry & Partitions.png

IMG_2543.JPG

I cut the doors out of the plywood using an X-acto knife to add some depth in this space. Door handles were made from some bent wire to add some three dimensional detail. Should one be curious enough to look closely with a flashlight, the open doors will give a glimpse to the dining area. The open doors themselves will be added once the pantry is installed.

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

Construction of the Commodore’s pantry was made from three identical pieces of 1/32” plywood based on the US Navy plans and four vertical glueing surfaces. Using a four-way clamp, the three pantry walls were glued together. Next the two corners were filed to rounded them off. The partition was then dry fitted on the gun deck again for the image below.

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

Half Column on Commodore’s Pantry

The next component was the half column at the center of the forward end of the pantry. This was fabricated just like the column aft of the stove, however one side was flattened using a block sander until only a half column remained. The half column was then glued to the front of the pantry.

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

When I dry fitted the spar deck floor beam to the partition. I neglected to account for the effect it would have on the partition doors. I had drawn them too tall. Also, I noticed that the printed panels and doors were not to my liking, and the pasting work on the pantry front was not centered properly. So, all the printing and pasting had to be done over, as well as making new shorter doors.

IMG_2559.JPG

While all of this was going on, I was also busy rigging four more sets of guns to match pace with the gun deck construction. These had to be in position before I could glue into place the dining partition, the Commodore’s pantry, and the spar deck floor beams. The partition doors were then installed in an open configuration leading into the dining area. The last item was installing the mizzen mast supports giving the future mast a 5° rake.

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

Mustafa. I think we are a mutual admiration society😁

6 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Construction of the Commodore’s pantry was made from three identical pieces of 1/32” plywood based on the US Navy plans and four vertical glueing surfaces. Using a four-way clamp, the three pantry walls were glued together. Next the two corners were filed to rounded them off. The partition was then dry fitted on the gun deck again for the image below.

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

Great work, Jon, as usual!  I am always looking for new and interesting hobby tools.  Where did you find the four-corner brace/brackets in the 1st photo of this post?

And... for what it's worth, I have admiration for what both you and Mustafa (and Peter aka Der Alte Rentner, as well) are doing with your Constitutions!  I took advantage of Model Shipways recent sale and have added the Constitution to my shipyard.  Couldn't pass up a great deal on an iconic ship.  Besides the fact that I have some great modelers who have paved the way in front of me!  Carry on, sir! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

3 hours ago, GGibson said:

Great work, Jon, as usual!  I am always looking for new and interesting hobby tools.  Where did you find the four-corner brace/brackets in the 1st photo of this post?

And... for what it's worth, I have admiration for what both you and Mustafa (and Peter aka Der Alte Rentner, as well) are doing with your Constitutions!  I took advantage of Model Shipways recent sale and have added the Constitution to my shipyard.  Couldn't pass up a great deal on an iconic ship.  Besides the fact that I have some great modelers who have paved the way in front of me!  Carry on, sir! 

I'd like to know your source for the four-corner brace/brackets as well Jon,

I had a thought last night as I was contemplating how I'm going to clamp the remaining strakes in the planking.  The spring clamps I've been using are no longer working given the shrinking open space at the bottom of the hull.  Flipping through the Micro Mark catalog, I saw a picture of a pile of rare earth magnets.  I think these would be perfect to hold a new strake flush with the previous one.  They come in varying strengths.  I get a small variety to try and post the results to my build log.  

Lastly, on days when I don't get much done on Conny, I wander through all the Constitution build logs here at the site and marvel that each build is unique.  

Thanks all for the kudos!🤗

Greg, I got that clamp from Micro Mark. I've had for a number of years, but rarely had a chance to use it. I'll probably use it again once I get to fabricating the various ship's hold framings on the spar deck.

• 5 weeks later...

While continuing to work on rigging the guns, I took a diversion from this tedious task and once again went looking for figurines to be placed on the model later to add some scale. I added figurines to my 1:64 scale Rattlesnake which I finished in 2017 which worked out quite nicely and I want to do the same thing with the 1:76.8 Constitution which I started in 2017, but I’ve had no success finding any suitable figurines.

For a typical 5’6” (165cm) tall man, I needed something around 0.841” (21.34mm) at scale. I was seriously considering modifying HO train figurines when I finally found five 22mm 18th (?) century sailor figures at Ages of Sail. I’ve checked this site before numerous times and even got the 25mm figurines for my Rattlesnake (1:64) from them some 8 or 9 years ago, but I never saw the 22mm ones until now. Strangely enough, the two sizes do not have the same figures, and are totally different from each other. Still, I immediately bought all five and it may be years (at my rate of speed) before I’ll need them. Who knows how long they will be available?

Ages of Sail Figurines.png

IMG_2568.JPG

Getting back to the gun rigging, I decided to plunge in and complete the rigging once and for all. I just wanted to get it over and done with. Adding 22 fully rigged guns was no simple task. I made the following calculations and was staggered by what it revealed. From start to finish, adding eyebolts to the interior of the gun deck, to fabricating and assembling the gun trucks, and then rigging them, I got the following numbers:

There are 235 separate parts per gun port or 5,170 parts for 22 fully rigged guns not counting brass blackening, painting, and do-overs. Most of these had to be fabricated from scratch. That breaks downs as follows:

Gun & Truck = 26 pieces/gun = 572 pieces total

Item                                        Quantity

Gun                                               1

Sides                                             2

Axials                                            2

Wheels                                         4

Transom                                       1

Breast Piece                                 1

Quion                                           1

Quion Handle                               1

Quion Bed                                    1

Trunnion cap                                2

Eyebolts                                       8

Rings                                             2

Gun Ropes (including excess waste)

Ropes/gun: 10 cut pieces/gun = 220 pieces of rope total

Recoil Rope.                    1-6” piece 0.030” (0.76mm) dia./gun x 22 guns = 66 pieces = 132” = 11’ = 3.6 yds total

Tackle Ropes w/coils     7” piece 0.018” (0.45mm) dia. + 1.5” (for double block)/tackle + coil = 8.5”/tackle + 1 rope coil x 3 tackles + coils/gun” =                                             7 pieces of rope/gun = 3 Tackles +3 coils/gun @ 25.5”/ gun = 154 pieces of rope = 561” = 47’ ~ 16 yds total for 66 tackles + 66 coils = 3,388 pieces total

Rope Seizings/gun: = 21 rope seizings/gun = 462 seizings total = 3 yds thread total

Recoil rope seizings       6 seizings/piece = 24” of thread = 2’ total/recoil rope

Tackle seizings                5 seizings (@4”/seizings) /tackle = 20” thread/tackle rope

3 tackles/gun = 15 seizings  = 5’ thread/gun  = 3 yards thread total

Note: rope coils made from excess rope and supplemented with additional rope

3 Tackles/gun =  6 blocks/gun = 132 blocks total

3/32” Single blocks        1/tackle @ 3 tackles/gun =3 blocks/gun = 66 blocks total

3/32” Double blocks      1/tackle @ 3 tackles/gun = 3 blocks/gun = 66 blocks total

Block hooks                    6/gun = 132 hooks total

Gun Ports = 12 parts/port = 222 total

Eyebolts: 10/port = 220 total:

Recoil Rope eyebolts/port          4 = 88 total

Tackle double eyebolts/port      2 = 44 total

Idle eyebolts/port                       3 = 66 total

Deck tackle eyebolt                     1 = 22 total

Recoil rope bulkhead pins         2/port = 44 total

All gun deck guns are now rigged!!! Whew!!! As I promised, an OSHA nightmare.

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

Very impressive gun rigging, Jon!  And I love your calculations, going to need to remember those for... whenever! 🤷‍♀️🤣🏆

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

20 hours ago, JSGerson said:

I made the following calculations and was staggered by what it revealed. From start to finish, adding eyebolts to the interior of the gun deck, to fabricating and assembling the gun trucks, and then rigging them, I got the following numbers:

There are 235 separate parts per gun port or 5,170 parts for 22 fully rigged guns not counting brass blackening, painting, and do-overs. Most of these had to be fabricated from scratch. That breaks downs as follows: ..

Egad!  As I struggle to finish the last 11 strakes of hull planking and wishing it were OVER, I am glad I opted out of the gundeck kit bash.  

Love your attention to detail and the math.  

Keep up the great work!

Edited by Der Alte Rentner

Great job on the gun rigging. I gave up adding tackles to the guns in my Constitution model because I couldn't produce blocks that fit the scale. Maybe I'll try doing it again for the spar deck guns.

Edited by mtbediz