Are Woody Joe kits any good?

philo426

I have not built one of their kits but I have seen several finished models built from their kits and the finished models are extremely beautiful.

There are some build logs here on Woody Joe kits - check member Clare Hess' completed kit models.  Most who have seen or built the kits think they are pretty good - at least the Japanese wooden boats.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Just noticed this thread, so inclined to give my thoughts.

I am working on one of their mini kits at the moment.  Also have one of their larger kits waiting on the shelf.  I preferred the typical Japanese ships they offered over the more European / Modern kits - but that may be just my taste.

Lovely wood (Japanese Cedar - adore the smell), and has very well executed details.  Parts are very finely laser cut and laser edged where needed.  Initially the wood may feel flimsy, but it appears stronger than what I assumed at first look (e.g., not have any parts split on me so far, even though they are very thin).

The kit is easy enough to put together when you take time to study the instructions - all pictures are in my mother tongue, as well as English, French, German (you get my drift); the text is Japanese, but pictogrames used for 'glue this, do not glue that, file this, etc' make the instructions sufficiently clear not to need even a basic understand of the wording.  Compared to some other kits, these instructions are very good - similar to some plastic kits such as Hasegawa or Tamyia.

The kit may seem pricy, but I think it is worth the money - especially when you consider that the wood is of such good quality (unlike some of the cheaper kits I have where the wood is not so pleasant to work with - replace the wood is a thought that often occur to me with such kits) and they offer ships that are not so common in our market.

Just my thought, and hope it helps.

Slainte

L.H.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

Ok thanks!I do not like posting a question and not getting replies.Makes me salty!

Well, not everyone who looks has the answer.  And being worldwide, it may take more than a couple of hours to get an answer. Even differences in timezones here in the States make a difference.  Lastly, not everyone checks in everyday.  The person with the answers may be offline for a bit.   The watchword around here is: patience grasshopper.  

There's been several builds and they do make some interesting models.

I did a quick search on topic titles and here's the result:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ah conflict a way of life

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

56 minutes ago, philo426 said:

yeah a new Strat or Les Paul woukd be  welcome addition to the guitar collection! 

A Gretsch White Falcon... my dream guitar ;)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

On 2/21/2017 at 10:02 AM, philo426 said:

Ok thanks!I do not like posting a question and not getting replies.Makes me salty!

27 views in less than 2 hours, out of over 20k members I think?  That's really a tiny fraction of the members here, so expecting a response that quick from someone about a single specific kit builder might be expecting a bit much, since it's highly unlikely that more than a fraction of 1% of that member list has any experience with Woody Joe. :) 

3 hours ago, puckotred said:

Anyone know if there is anywhere in europe one can get these kits?

Search on http://www.amazon.co.uk  for Woody Joe, I just did and got 20 pages of hits. At least some were ship kits though there are lots of pagodas and such. Be careful of the prices though. I bought one from amazon in the U.S. and paid too much, it would have been cheaper to order directly from http://www.zootoyz.jp/

On 25/02/2017 at 10:23 AM, puckotred said:

Anyone know if there is anywhere in europe one can get these kits?

I bought my kits directly from http://zootoyz.jp/ .  Communication can be done in English, payment is easy.  The only thing to take into consideration is customs in your country (had to pay extra when it arrived in the UK).

Hope this helps.

Slainte

L.H.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

Looking at the price on Amazon I think the customs fee isn't that bad. They add 25% VAT in Sweden. No customs as kits are classed as toys...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre