58b0c0204ea16_WorkingSkipjacksCoverPhoto.jpg.763df8d44fa2ceb70443f83aa0204d15.jpg

I just received a copy of “Working Skipjacks of Deal Island” by Brice N. Stump.  The author was a long-term staff member at The Daily Times in Salisbury, MD., and has won numerous awards for his writing and photography.

This 350 page book is loaded with over 625 black and white photographs, each with a detailed caption.  Most of the photos show the Chesapeake watermen at work, and give you an appreciation of how hard they work in the oystering trade. The book contains a good deal of historic information, anecdotes, and explanations of the work involved.

I’m particularly interested in the Skipjack Kathryn, and was pleased with the number and quality of the photos of Kathryn.  There are over 70 pages dedicated to Kathryn, and each page has a minimum of two photos and related captions.  Some of the photos show the recent rebuilding of Kathryn, while the majority show the vessel and crew at work.  There are some really interesting photos of the pushboat in use to maneuver Kathryn.

Other skipjacks shown in the book include the City of Crisfield, Somerset, Fannie L. Dougherty, Helen Virginia, Ladie Katie, Curlew III, and Ada Fears.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Skipjacks or the oystermen of the Chesapeake.  Priced at $56, it’s a limited press run and available at MyShoreHistory.com

This looks like a great find.  I grew up on The Bay and remember seeing the Skipjacks when I was younger out working.  I might have to add this to my library.

Just got my copy today!! Can't say good enough things about the detail shown in the books. The only problem, is now I know my finished models will be much too clean! ;-)

14 hours ago, thibaultron said:

Just got my copy today!! Can't say good enough things about the detail shown in the books. The only problem, is now I know my finished models will be much too clean! ;-)

And if you're going to show a skipjack set up for dredging, then the sails should not be fully deployed.  Hadn't known that until I got the book.  I also enjoyed the photos of the yawl boat at work.