Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Convert an old electric toothbrush into a sander.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

avsjerome2003

avsjerome2003

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,050 posts
  • LocationJerome, Idaho, U.S.A.

professional_care_series.jpg

If you're an old cheapskate on a limited budget like me, and want to have a sander for small places, here's your opportunity.

A Braun Oral-B electric toothbrush can be converted into a small oscillating sander. Remove the the worn bristles from the brush head, and attach a disc of sandpaper with super-glue. This converted sander is cordless to fit the sander head in small tight places.

You're welcome.

Source information: FineScale Modeler Magazine

Montani semper liberi. Happy modeling to all and every one of you.

Crackers      :pirate41: :piratetongueor4:

Edited by avsjerome2003, 06 April 2013 - 06:56 AM.

Brian C

Brian C

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,208 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

or you can buy the Proxxon pen sander with various shaped tips for those fiddly bits that are hard to get to.

• WackoWolf likes this
Royal William.

H.M.S Royal William     http://modelshipworl...del-by-brian-c/

H.M.Y Fubbs scratch built.

http://modelshipworl...fubbs/?hl=fubbs

Bismarck 1-200-
http://modelshipworl...-amati-brian-c/

avsjerome2003

avsjerome2003

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Why buy, when one can save money by using some ingenuity. I'm always looking for ways to cut corners, as hobbies are at the bottom of the tight budget list.

Crackers     :huh: B)

Yambo

Yambo

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationTurunç, Turkey

I use a battery toothbrush - I just have a couple of old heads for sanding and others for my teeth. I don't glue the sandpaper direct to the old head though, I glued a bit of velcro to mine so I can change the sandpaper easily. 

It's not a great system but it's cheaper than a Proxxon.  

• avsjerome2003 likes this

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Billl

Billl

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationMazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico

I use a battery toothbrush - I just have a couple of old heads for sanding and others for my teeth.

I really like this idea. My wife has one, gotta get some velcro and I am ready to go. Might get to be a bit expensive if I forget to change heads. Doesn't take much sanding to wear down some dentures.

Current Build:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:196,     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,

H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Caribbean Pirate Ship, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     Shrimp Boat, Model Expo - Plastic / 1:60

Completed:

Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,     H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50

Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,     Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50

Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,

Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro,

En Mi Lista De Deseos: -- El Soberano De Los Mares (El Oro Diablo), Mantua - Wood / 1:78

Blue Ensign

Blue Ensign

Captain

• Members
  • 1,402 posts
  • LocationThe Green Shires of England

The old toothbrush heads are also quite good for giving brass stuff (guns etc) a final scrub before blackening.

B.E.

Modeler12

Modeler12

Captain

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

See earlier post http://modelshipworl...-power-sanders/

I not only used the pad on the toothbrush, but made my own using some pieces of wood and a bit of glue. I have several in different shapes. See post.

As yet I have not tried the electric carving knife I mentioned. But it would be a lot more powerful.

Edited by Modeler12, 06 April 2013 - 05:06 PM.

Jay

For details about my Conny see http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

avsjerome2003

avsjerome2003

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Jay, would an electric carving knife be more useful as a converted electric saw ?  My wife has one that she uses to carve the turkey. If I ever THINK of kidnapping her electric carving knife for my hobby, she would use it on me !!!!!

Crackers     :o :(

Modeler12

Modeler12

Captain

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Jay, would an electric carving knife be more useful as a converted electric saw ?  My wife has one that she uses to carve the turkey. If I ever THINK of kidnapping her electric carving knife for my hobby, she would use it on me !!!!!

Crackers     :o :(

Please, since you are one of our members (and I don't know if your wife is or not) don't fight her about the carving knife. You might loose.

Anyway, my idea was to use the back-and-forth motion of that tool would be ok to consider it for sawing as well as sanding.

knife 2.jpg

Jay

For details about my Conny see http://modelshipworl...n-by-modeler12/

Long9Ron

Long9Ron

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

I made my own toothbrush sander (non electric). 

Removed all the bristles and used hot glue to glue on two strips of velcro (one on each side) then hot glued velcro to 150 grit paper and cut into strips. You can flip it over to use a different grit if needed. The strips can be cut to any length. And the velcro can be used again if you peel off the sandpaper. Also, did the other end to get into small rounded areas. Works pretty good.

Next one will most likely be an battery operated one.  

2013-04-08 18.48.58.jpg

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

avsjerome2003

avsjerome2003

Commodore

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Long9Ron, good creative thinking on your part. I like it when folks can come up with ideas that are useful and save money at the same time.  Watch out you do not become confused and use that brush on your own teeth !

By the way, shut that winter off !  We were enjoying nice spring weather, until the Alberta Express came through with cold, snow and rain.

Crackers  :o :ph34r:

overdale

overdale

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

They don't just make good sanders..

I teach art at my local prison once a week and I've seen those toothbrushes modified with a hypodermic syringe to make a very efficient tattoo gun :huh:  :)

Edited by overdale, 09 April 2013 - 05:20 AM.

Long9Ron

Long9Ron

Sub Lieutenant

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

Long9Ron, good creative thinking on your part. I like it when folks can come up with ideas that are useful and save money at the same time.  Watch out you do not become confused and use that brush on your own teeth !

By the way, shut that winter off !  We were enjoying nice spring weather, until the Alberta Express came through with cold, snow and rain.

Crackers  :o :ph34r:

AVS

I can't control what's on the other side of the Rockies. Here in BC it is Sunny and warm.  :) We wash our cars in January and start mowing the lawns in February. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

vas1949

vas1949

Midshipman

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, Washington, United States

Thanks for the good ideas. I will try them all.

Best wishes to all

Vern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.