HMS Diana By Barbossa - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - The 1794 Attempt

Here's part II

Last pic is dedicated to 1) MSW Staff : congrats regarding the software update and Ray : consulting his buildlog (HMS Diana fvinished +/- a year ago) made things more easier and comprehensable., Cheers Ray

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

great job really great

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Awesome! Disappointed I couldn't 'really really like' the Priory beer photo  ;)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Mort & Jason for comments & and all likes,

Jason : Caldercraft's Diana kit offers a lot of " improvement/adding your own interpretation" opportunities and you make such an awesome job of it !  For example : whenever I work on my model I always bear in my mind I should have remplaced the copper plates, just as you did.

Related to the beer : I understand the artisanal beermarket in the US is subject to a huge improvement the last years, but that's another subject

Hi Mort always good to hear from you : I sincerely hope your doing fine.

Wanted to post the pics before going to sleep (yesterday-evening ) So the standing rigging was realised pretty forward according to building instructions. I've tried to understand and implement this as best as I could as everything related to naval vocabulary is already a vocabulary on itself and as a non native English speaker I can assure you I went through some trouble : Ray's explanative photo's ( see his Diana log ) were a tremendous help. Except the ratlines ( Gutermann ) I used what was supplied in the kit.

While working on the tops and in a burst of masochism  :D I decided to fore 1 mm holes in the 3 main tops as I wanted to add crowsfeet. ( The real Diana never had ) but I just  like the sight of it although I have no clue - whatsover-  their purpose was

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Well done.

Enjoy the beer
Cheers.

groetjes

Greetings

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Crowsfeet ? I love them:P

For the interested : the euphroe-blocks are made of styrene. Walnut was not an option

I fixed 2 small sheets of 0,5 mmm and one of 0.25 mm in the middle : thas was (more or less)  the suitable thickness.

A needle and a pin to obtain the best possible alignment to fore the 0.8 mm holes

The paint is from  the Acrylico Vallejo-brand and the 311 colortype is until now the closest to wood, at least in my opinion, some more filing before assembly and that was that.

Here's the pics (part I)

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Here's part 2

As mentioned in previous post, the model has no crowsfeet, but it's a nice detail and I like the contrast between the black masttops and the light color of the thread.

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

very nice work Christian,

your standing rigging is well done !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice work Christian.

"Crowsfeet"  Never heard of it before

Again another word learned MSW ;)

groetjes

Greetings

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Hi Nils, Sjors & Patrick

Thanks for the nice comments & the likes.

Patrick : Please, take a look in Sjors' Agamemnon buildlog. You'll find them. In other logs too : Vanguard, Pegasus,...

Diana never had, so this detail is a bit fictitious, I'm afraid. Also the open bulwarks, I guess. 

But it's fun and those features were typical for ships from the second half of the XVIII century, so I still work within boundaries ;)

The funny thing is : I have no idea what purpose they had. Moreover, in French they are called "Pattes d'Oie", I think. So here's already another bird involved (Oie = Goose).  I wonder in Dutch...?

So if anyone has an some info regarding the use of those crowsfeet : feel free to drop a message

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

So far for the good news show.

Here's a word of caution related to the position of the seats of ease in front of the gallion.

As the pics show and as consequence of a mistake of mine the, holes are covered.

So I filled them up, sanded with a high grid.

I'll see were to install on the gallion the seats of ease later on.

Sad but not critical.

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Christian,

Maybe you can find here more information about "seats of ease"  

Lots of info and links .

Groetjes

Greetings

Regards, Patrick

Thanks a lot Patrick, much appreaciated this info. Pics related to the subject from HMS Victory are super !!!What a difference between sailors and officers, isn't it ?

In the meantime, the problem has been solved. I'll post some pics next week. regardless the poor weather conditions, we're to spend an extended week-end at the Belgian coast.

Perhaps other Diana - builders ( maybe also other kits ) faced the same problem ? The two protruding masts may obstruct the original ( correct ) position of the seats of ease

At present I'm preparing the yards

Thanks for the input.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Yards : preparation : The stunsail brackets

As Ray quite rightly at page 15 mentions  (HMS Diana by Ray - FINISHED - Caldercraft/Jotika - A 38 gun Heavy Frigate, 1794) they are a bit oversized, indeed.

I decided to go for the "styrene"-option.

I used 0.25 mm thickness sheets. As the end of the yards are tapered, the strip that was to be bended and fixed with superglue around them, described a small curve.

The stunsail brackets are to be overpainted anyway.

The 3rd pic shows what was supplied with the kit

I also had to fore a 1mm hole at both extremeties of each concerned yard, no big deal.

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hi Christian, a very nice fix on the hole for the seats of ease.  This seems to be a challenging area but sure it will look great.  The other difference/deficiency I see with the kit is that it seems to completely ignore a seat of ease in the back corner of the false rail and the ships side, simply leaving a large triangular hole which looks odd.  Are you thinking of adding those as well?  Your styrene yards are a much better solution to the really clunky white metal parts and look so much better.  Really nice work!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

thaks for drawing my attention regarding the additional seats : I'll have to check this...stay tuned

By the way : I completely  forgot to post pics related to the seats in the gallion. This turned out rather well( a job for next W.E. )

Styrene has proven it's utility in previous occasions. I can only recommend it. Some tiny parts in cutting and shaping out of walnut ?...I don't think so.

I have 2 diifferent sheets at my disposal : 0.25 mm  and 0.5 mm.

Now a less pleasant job : to the vet with my cat. She's 16 years old and not going to well lately and a blood analysis is required.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It took a little bit longer but here's my best shot related to the seats of ease.

Just behind them there's indeed an intriguing void, so I wouldn't felt that comfortable on these seats of ease....

Other pics are related to the preparations of the yards. Some bending was required. For the footsteps or whatever they were called I used 0,5 mm brass

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Nice work

I would also not feel myself "at ease" at the seats of ease.:D

Regards, Patrick

Hi Christian, that looks great.  I'm still stumbling through a solution to the upper and lower cheek/head rails and would love your opinions on those when I get comfortable posting.  You really did an amazing job with the kit parts to get them looking as good as you did.  I've been tearing my hair out with placement and I was interested to see you placed the lower cheek at the top of the wale, that's were I believe it should be to get it looks proportionally correct to my eye - but it seems that on the models and AOTS the placement seems to sit slightly below the top of the wale.  I think you've given me the courage to go with that so I appreciate the photos of the completed headworks.  Really beautiful work!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished: