HMS Triton 1773. POF. 1:48. Daniel

Hello all, lots of things arround have push me out a little bit from the hobby but we are all back an safe.

I have inaugurate my new workshop. No more dust in the living room! My wife is quite happy now, my kids kind of sad...They love all the machines and the sound of them. Anyway Here´s where I am at.

After marked the cuts on the keel pieces I started to make the scarfs. The best results were with the firs picture.

post-87-0-63464300-1364895689_thumb.jpg  post-87-0-48237600-1364895728_thumb.jpg

I had lots of fun chiseling out the wood from piece #5.

post-87-0-06865000-1364895881_thumb.jpgpost-87-0-66700200-1364895906_thumb.jpg

I thought that was to be quite difficult to make but with patience it came out quite nice. Here´s the result.

post-87-0-69386800-1364896016_thumb.jpg

I did not start from a square timber. I cut the different pieces from timber using the scroll saw. There´s small diferents between the pieces so I do not Know if I´ll have to re-do the whole thing. We´ll see.

Pete, here is a pic of the tool I used for the joist. Mine is other brand but yes is a hand hewed. Excellent tool.

post-87-0-84968800-1364896267_thumb.jpg

Hope to post more in a while...

Daniel.

Daniel your chock is looking very nice.

If you don't have a mill think of the solution I used for my HMS Fly. I made the first part of the keel and the lower stem from two parts which are half thick than the keel. So you can make the chock very accurate with less effort. Noone will see ths trick later.

Be careful with positioning the lower stem. This is a very tricky part, to get the right anglebetween the keel and the stem.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

There are two parts where a mill is very helpful, the lower apron and the after deadwood. You can do also both parts without a mill. Bob has shown a way to build these parts with 3 layers of timber. I tried his method for my Swan class build last year and it worked very well. Have a look at Modellmarine.de to get a first impression. If it's helpful I will translate the text.

A mill is a good invest for a scratch build modeler because it makes life much easier but not really necessary. >ou can build models also without a mill.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Thanks all, learner and Christian. I´ll have to wait for the mill, no money by the moment... but it has been in my mental list for a lot of time (the mill) the sarfs and everything would be easier. I agree. Thanks for the info anyway. I do apreciate the link,.

I´ll stick by the moment to use the what I have. Maybe I´ll buy a hand press drill. Do not Know now.

Regards.

Daniel.

Daniel,  A good looking scarf.  When you start placing the frames you might want to just place the aft frames and fore

frames on the keel first.  Leave the middle frames out so you can fair the frames with all the taper.  It made life easier

for me.  Randy

Hi Daniel,

Just caught up with your log, you're doing some very precise and beautiful work on your ship Sir, I'll be following your build with great interest :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Guy,

the layer method is definitly not faster than the work with a mill. You have to do the taper twice, first time for the middle layer and a second time for the other layers.

Regards Christian

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All!

I am Still Staying Alive (Bee Gees). I have run out of wood cutting the frames so I have decided to ask for some more. Due to the delivery of it is always expensive I have decided to order much more.  I have wasted 8 sheets (988x70x5mm) to cut out more or less 40  (double frames).

I will ask not just only to finish the frames but for the decks, carlings, ledges, pillars, planking, hatches…

I have printed out some of the clue plans just to study them and see the timber I have to order. I am trying to realize the “real” measures of the wood so I´ve been translating millimeters to inches and then multiplying them by 2.54cm. Really fun stuff.

post-87-0-54159100-1366565896_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-05657400-1366565809_thumb.jpg

I have to decide the timber I ask for.  I think that I´ll copy the timbers that Rusty used. Boxwood for the bulwarks, interior and exterior, Holly for the five planks under the wales, Boxwood again for the planking of the decks. Cherry for the deck beams and the Knees, Blood wood for the hatches.

I am kind of loose here so any help with the woods you guys have used would be really appreciate…!!! I´ll take care of the dimensions of the wood I have to used.

I will probably ask you more about this.

Best wishes to all and thanks in advance.

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Hello all!

I am waiting for your answers about the timber you have used... I have been talking with the wood supplier, here in Spain, and is going to be quite difficult to find the Holly timber. arrgh!  Meanwhile I am with the CAD drawing the decks. God! this project is getting quite complicated.

At the same time is giving me lots of beautyful moments trying to figure out how the deck arrangement were done.

Here is the pdf file (1:48) I am going to follow in order to complete the fore plattform. If it is helpful for you it is okey. Is the one I am going to follow by myself.  Wang´s log and other sources has been very very helpful.

Cheers!

Daniel.

P.S. I have edit this post adding a pdf showing the differences between the original plan an the one, I insist, I am going to do (hope so). The other one is a new version with no deck clamps.

post-87-0-21655200-1370349567_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-15716000-1370349632_thumb.jpg

Decks_aft _proa_diffrences.pdf

Decks_aft _proa_plattorm.pdf

Edited by harvey1847

Daniel

That is a nice drawing of the for and after plattforms,  Will save that for later reference   Thanks

As far as wood I like the choices you have done made, If Holly will be difficult how about a Silver Maple or Hard Maple (that is what they are called here)

Looking forward to hearing your choices and progress

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Daniel,

for my HMS Fly I prefer pear, box and holly. I bought the pear at Hobby Mills in the US. That is a lot shipping cost and some tax, but the timber is excellent. I will place my next order also by jeff.

Instead of holly you can also use maple.

Regards Christian

Daniel,

For my cross-section:  boxwood for the frames, cherry for the hull planks.  Deck was basswood.  Ebony was used for the wales, false keel, and keelson.

For my Licorne, horse of a different color since I needed a lot more wood.   Framing:  cherry.  Hull planking:  Swiss Pear with plum to be used topside.  Decks: maple.   Furniture:  pear (not swiss, but plain pear).  Beech, walnut, for assorted bits and pieces and holly for the figurehead.

The problem you have is that here in the States, we have some different woods.  For example, I'm not sure maple is available where your are. You might goto the The Lumberyard's site.  He has a section on woods with their colors and what they work well for.  There might some things you like that are available to you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello All!

Thanks Mark, Christian and Pete for the answers has been very helpful.

Here are the timber I have asked for...:

.- Frames (10 more to go), deck beams,carlings, ledges, Knees: Cherry.

.- Bulkwarks and planking: Maple and "Coto" (No translation for this but it is a white wood)

.- Decks: Maple.

.- Hatches and various: Mahogany and "Pachyloba"

.- pillars and others: Walnut.

.- bulkheads: Ramin

That´s all. Waiting to see all of it at my log.

The attached files are just an "storyboard" to follow. I will probably change some things when the time to build might come. I use Ed Tosti (part 33) log, Wang´s log and the AOS book about the HMS Diana. So do not take it as a reference. My intention was just to draw the internal structure with the Knees, carlings and ledges but once you start to draw, one thing gets you to another and you end drawing the rum bottles...

Best wishes!

Daniel.

Decks_fore_platt_differences.pdf

Decks_fore_popa_plattform.pdf

Edited by harvey1847

• 1 month later...

I have been building my Keel and framing from Maple and I like it! I have heard of others using this wood and all have good remarks about it. I likd the way that it sands and cuts but will burn because of the hardness. I have some pear and will likely use that in the internal construction.

are you going to post the drawing of the rum bottle?

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Daniel,

before you change the deck layout of the fore plattform, have a look of the original drawing at the NMM site. I will have a look at my copy at the weekend.

Regards Christian

Hello Guy Christian and All!

Lots of work arround and no time for the hobby. I have the wood at home since three weeks...

Christian, I have those plans. As I said I will change some things. I was much more worry about the knees, carlings and ledges but then I started to draw the storerooms an try to realize how the thing could be done. I´ll change the Capstain store and leave it as the original and the size of the squares of the magazine.

Hope to have some time during the weekend. I need to complete all the frames. I am willing to start with all the interior work. Thanks all.

Here are the plans I have. They are pretty pretty small.

Quarter Deck & Fore Castle  -  Upper Deck.

post-87-0-29947300-1369986229_thumb.jpg

Lower Deck - Aft & Fore plattforms.

post-87-0-25405400-1369986269_thumb.jpg

Best wishes.

Daniel.

Hi Everyone!

Still alive... Here´s a device I built to make the rabet. It worked well with the timber that goes straight but I had to work very carefully when the wood had the grain cross like in the inner post. Here´s the sketch. I finally change the blade. Instead of the X-acto I put the one showed in the pics.

post-87-0-34223200-1370350070_thumb.jpg

Here are the materials I used... the wood is from a trash bin from the street, was an Ikea don´t Know what. The glue is two components type epoxi (quite expensive) The same one I used to make the stern jig to glue the iron to the base.

post-87-0-21586200-1370350198_thumb.jpg

No picture of the device, but I think the sketch talks by itself. I´ll edit this.

post-87-0-93272300-1370350345_thumb.jpg

Hope to finish the hull soon. I am getting quite excited with this project. Need to start with all the interior work and the Knees, ledges, beams, bottles of Grog...

Best wishes and happy June!

Daniel.

Hi again!

Here´s where I am now... ALL the frames cut out. How I miss the laser cut bulkheads of plywood of the comercial kits!!!!

post-87-0-45814400-1370350790_thumb.jpg

And all set to be sand and glue together.

post-87-0-12910700-1370351133_thumb.jpg

Happy modeling!

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Glad to see that you are done with the frame piece cutting. Long work. I'm doing it now.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Ah.... fun has started in earnest.  Really!  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just caught up with your build, off to a good start. Cutting/cleaning up frame components for the x-section was tedious, congratulations on finishing that lot. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Regards,

Grant.

I like the rabet tool you developed, gives you something substantial to hang on too. cutting them out the frame pieces is like eating potato chips hard to stop. I have been doing 5 or 6 frames at a time breaks up the monotony of bending over the jig saw trying not to cut into the lines! I find that my oscillating sander does a good job on both the inside and outside curves.

I was in Barcelona last year but missed the maritime museum! Does Madrid have a maritime museum there? I was there in ‘77’  but was not into ship models then.

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Helloo  Guy!

Here´s  a good video with a pretty good faniliar music of the Great Museum of Madrid. I did enjoy the one in barcelona but this one is bigger an nicer.

HU HA!

You´re going to overtake me with your log!! really nice frames!

Best wishes and happy modelling!

Daniel.