Triton cross section 1:48 by Mcdood

Hello down here in Cross section land, permission to come on board.

post-187-0-06514600-1366191215_thumb.jpg

I hope with your help to do my first scratch build, and to progress towards doing a full build "one day"

Regards

Martin. 

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Hello Martin,

Nice start.

Question(s). What wood are you using and where do you get it from? (I assume somewhere in the UK). 

Ian M.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hi Ian,

Thank you,

The Keel and Keelson are Steamed Pearwood and the False Keel is Walnut.

The Pearwood was obtained from Timberline and the Walnut I think I obtained from Charnwood some time in the past.

I also bought from Timberline at the same time a block of Lemonwood to do the frames in (Hopefully)

Martin. 

Thank You Pete and Grant, it feels good to have started, now downloading the frames and onto making them.

Martin.

Thanks Daniel, I only hope that I can come some way near to the ability of some of the modellers here,

Regards

Martin.

Welcome on the Triton shipyards, Martin. Your start looks very promising.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Martin.

Nice to have you aboard:)

I have also just started my Triton cross section.

Awaiting my timber at the moment.

All the best.

Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thank you Anthony,

It seems we are both in the same boat (pun intended)

Good luck with yours, and whom are you obtaining your timber from?

Regards

Martin.

Sinan and Paddy, thank you both very much, afraid the weather here is sunny and warm, so the Admiral demands my services in the (dreaded) garden, so no more work at the moment. :(

Regards

Martin.

Hi Martin, Welcome aboard and you are off to a great start.

afraid the weather here is sunny and warm, so the Admiral demands my services in the (dreaded) garden, so no more work at the moment. :(

Who would have thought we would be wishing for a cool and rainy day so we could get some modeling time in? :huh:

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Cross section coming along, but have had an accident with my right hand (and yes of course I am right handed) sliced through three fingers. Two stitched back together, middle finger cut through tendon having operation tomorrow to sort it out.

And before you ask it was not model related, I was helping a friend out.

Will try and down load photos when I can, but left hand not the most dextrous in the world.

Martin  :(

Thanks Grant, I have pictures of both, the cross section looks better than the fingers at the moment,

Martin

Martin,

I'm sorry to hear about the accident.  Seems lately I've heard of several and only one model related.  Here's hoping you heal quickly....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ow Martin. I've sliced and diced a few fingers over the years but never got a tendon.

I hope all goes well and you make a full recovery. My best to you and good luck.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi guys, thank you for your kind thoughts about my recent incident. Have attached some photos of how the build was going.

post-187-0-66910600-1368539327_thumb.jpg

home made drum sander in action

post-187-0-01334400-1368539433_thumb.jpg

the drum sander

post-187-0-20556100-1368539543_thumb.jpg

the wonderful Byrnes sander

post-187-0-45308700-1368539630_thumb.jpg

where she stands at this moment, but i am not to happy with her, so may re-do it when hand back to normal.

post-187-0-31181100-1368539679_thumb.jpg

and of course the hand, severed the tendon on middle finger and nicked the other two(middle finger had micro surgery to fix  it). Bet the surgeon would be good at doing the rigging on our models.

All the best

Martin. 

post-187-0-27151200-1368539954_thumb.jpg

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the pictures. I am sorry to hear that you’re not pleased with the frames at this point. Thinking about that during your convalescent time may keep you from doing something rash. ;)

That vac box for your drum sander makes for a top drawer setup. Looks like it really does a good job. Now you have me thinking about building one for my setup. I’ve been clamping the vac hose to the drill press table for my pickup but only works after a fashion.

Great to hear that you like your Byrnes disc sander. I just ordered one last week and you’ve made my day with your comment. I’m standing on one foot and the other with anticipation as I ordered the Byrnes table saw too.

Will be pulling for you mate that you’ll be back at it before you know it and in excellent shape.

All the best.

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Hi Paddy, I am lucky enough to have all of Jim Byrnes lovely tools except the rope walk, and like most people have nothing but the greatest respect for what he makes, they are amazing.

You will not be disappointed they are both great pieces of kit..........enjoy.  :)

Martin.